Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shoddy Orange Network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Shoddy Orange Network

Old 03-11-2003, 21:00   #1
peachey
Permanently Banned

peachey is an unknown quantity at this point
Shoddy Orange Network

Anyone else agree when I say that the Orange network in South Wales is little better than useless?

About 4 out of 5 of every call I make is cut off midway and has to be redialled and then when you do establish a connection about 1 out of 3 words is illegible

I mailed them via thier website but, unsuprisingly, have not had a reply over a month later
peachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2003, 21:03   #2
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Re: Shoddy Orange Network

It's like that in parts of the North West too peachey - a mate of mine had problems with her Orange phone last weekend - and of course Orange CS didn't want to know!!
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 21:06   #3
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
It's like that in parts of the North West too peachey - a mate of mine had problems with her Orange phone last weekend - and of course Orange CS didn't want to know!!
I am pay as you go - you phone them up and they hit you for a whopping charge to talk to them

If you go to west wales - Like Llangranog for instance, you simply cannot connect to anything - full stop
Old 03-11-2003, 21:07   #4
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

I always found Orange CS helpful and reasonable, much much better than vodaphone.
downquark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 21:12   #5
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1
I always found Orange CS helpful and reasonable, much much better than vodaphone.

yeah right
'empathising with your frustration' etc

it does nothing to make the network better tho - and there is little to be gained from sounding off at someone on the end of the phone at orange
Old 04-11-2003, 00:04   #6
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them

I suggest you try O2. Both O2 and Vodaphone use GSM on 900MHz while Orange & T-Mobile use PCN on 1800MHz. The 900MHz signals propagate further (higher power Tx specification & also Tx efficiency drops at higher frequencies) so the base stations can be further apart. Since base stations cost money, there may be insufficient 1800MHz stations in some rural (and/or hilly)areas. Find a mate with O2 & see if he gets decent reception in your area. In defence of Orange, I use it here & it's fine at home & work. In fact I get pretty good all round radio reception at home
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 00:08   #7
peachey
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Waddington
I suggest you try O2. Both O2 and Vodaphone use GSM on 900MHz while Orange & T-Mobile use PCN on 1800MHz. The 900MHz signals propagate further (higher power Tx specification & also Tx efficiency drops at higher frequencies) so the base stations can be further apart. Since base stations cost money, there may be insufficient 1800MHz stations in some rural (and/or hilly)areas. Find a mate with O2 & see if he gets decent reception in your area. In defence of Orange, I use it here & it's fine at home & work. In fact I get pretty good all round radio reception at home
might take you up on that advice as wales has lots of hills

"if you can see the hills it is about to rain, if you can't see them it already is raining etc"
Old 04-11-2003, 00:56   #8
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I once phoned up Orange to complain about the poor signal strength ( I was in SE London!) and was asked where I was. 'On the first floor' I replied. 'Ah' she said 'thats the problem, our radio waves travel at ground level, thats why your signal is poor'

I was so stunned by the monumental cr*p she was spouting that I could not summon up the will to jump down her throat/point out the massive flaws in her statement....I weakly just thanked her for the advice and rang off. Just couldn't believe such monumental bulls*it
Old 04-11-2003, 08:22   #9
Gogogo

It's those little hills in Wales! We use Orange and it's no problem, we have own little hills here, also always found Orange CS generally helpful and very fast response, problems sorted fast. Their web site is just about the most clumsy and slow we have used.

Old 04-11-2003, 08:32   #10
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey
Anyone else agree when I say that the Orange network in South Wales is little better than useless?

About 4 out of 5 of every call I make is cut off midway and has to be redialled and then when you do establish a connection about 1 out of 3 words is illegible
That's strange, I live in South Wales and never had a problem when I was with Orange.....

*cough*

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:39   #11
Defiant

Orange are a bag of ****e. My MMS has not been working for 5 days. Its took five days for them to return my call. When they returned it they put with through to tech support. What happened then well they gave me the number to the helpdesk.

I'm still without MMS. Do they have shares in NTL or something
Old 04-11-2003, 10:13   #12
leeswin
Inactive

leeswin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to leeswin

i left orange 2 years ago best thing i ever did!
leeswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:20   #13
downquark1
cf.mega poster

downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogo
Their web site is just about the most clumsy and slow we have used.
No that's odeon :p
Old 04-11-2003, 10:34   #14
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

So the best advice is to ditch all your 20th century techonolgy-phones and get yourself a nice 3G handset, namely a Motorola a920

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:54   #15
downquark1
cf.mega poster

WOW, I always thought Orange were reasonable and quality, I guess I was wrong - well I was never use it that much anyway.