Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which modems work on 10mbit ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which modems work on 10mbit ?

Old 08-11-2005, 18:38   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Which modems work on 10mbit ?

Hi all,

Now that the 10mbit rollout has begun I thought it would be beneficial to everyone if there was a list of modems that had been confirmed to work fully on 10mbit, and users posting what download they are getting.

I currently have a Motorola SB3100 and trying to find out if anyone has upgraded with no speed problems with this modem or whether a modem upgrade is required and whether CS confirm an upgrade is required. As I suspect this modem might have problems.
Old 08-11-2005, 18:51   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Which modems work on 10mbit ?

I think all the Ambit CM's will work, however, by default it appears the ethernet port on them is set to 10Mbps, no duplex, which will actually slow you down from full speed. The solution being to log into the modem and manually change it to 100Mbps, and make sure your computers net card is similarly set (otherwise you will have problems).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 19:00   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Smile Re: Which modems work on 10mbit ?

I know the Motorola SB3100 only has a 10mbit ethernet port which runs at half duplex. I'm sure i'll find my answer as more and more people with old modems get upgraded.
Old 08-11-2005, 19:40   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What about the Terayon modems
Old 08-11-2005, 19:46   #5
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

What about Samsung STBs? I'm sure I've seen it posted that they can handle up to 30+MB, but someone has been told by CS (which means not a lot) that they can't handle 10MB.
Old 08-11-2005, 20:04   #6
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
What about the Terayon modems

The terayons can handle the speed upgrades.
Old 08-11-2005, 20:12   #7
icanadvise
Inactive

icanadvise is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a load of useful info on modems and other stuff at this http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/foru...ead.php?t=6098 page
icanadvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 20:17   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge
The terayons can handle the speed upgrades.
thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 20:30   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanadvise
there is a load of useful info on modems and other stuff at this http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/foru...ead.php?t=6098 page
This answers my question....

In some cases (3Com CMX, Motorola 3100) the modem only contained a 10Mbps interface, so it fundamentally cannot run at 10Mbps. Expect 5.5 to 6Mbps.

Looks like CS will need to upgrade my modem but somehow I bet I have trouble getting them to do that! as they might put the 5-6 Mbps down to congestion.

Maybe someone from NTL has an official line on this with regard to the SB3100 ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2005, 20:34   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I've tried changing my Ambit 120 to 100M, but it doesn't make any difference, in fact it's more unstable than the 10M duplex setting so I've left it on that. Getting 5Mbps atm according to Robins test - still, it could be that his test is getting busy atm.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 20:44   #11
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
I've tried changing my Ambit 120 to 100M, but it doesn't make any difference, in fact it's more unstable than the 10M duplex setting so I've left it on that. Getting 5Mbps atm according to Robins test - still, it could be that his test is getting busy atm.
I have my NIC, Router and Ambit 120 set to 100 Full Duplex with no probs (that I can tell anyway, what makes yours unstable?)...

Oh, and what NIC have you got?
Old 08-11-2005, 20:47   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
I wish the SB3100 had a 100Mbit ethernet port. I contacted NTL 3 months ago about my modem worries and was told that the SB3100 was ok on 10mbit. I tried to get them to swap my modem for an NTL250 but they wouldn't without reporting a fault.

I actually own my SB3100 so legally i could just decide to stop using it and then NTL would have to supply me with a new modem ? I guess I could accidently drop something on it!
Old 08-11-2005, 20:50   #13
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ
I wish the SB3100 had a 100Mbit ethernet port. I contacted NTL 3 months ago about my modem worries and was told that the SB3100 was ok on 10mbit. I tried to get them to swap my modem for an NTL250 but they wouldn't without reporting a fault.

I actually own my SB3100 so legally i could just decide to stop using it and then NTL would have to supply me with a new modem ? I guess I could accidently drop something on it!
I hope you mean 'virtually' drop something on it...

(as in virtual reality, not really )
Old 08-11-2005, 20:53   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus
I hope you mean 'virtually' drop something on it...

(as in virtual reality, not really )
Indeed as I wouldn't want to be without any internet until its fixed
Old 08-11-2005, 20:54   #15
Fenlock
Inactive

Fenlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus
I have my NIC, Router and Ambit 120 set to 100 Full Duplex with no probs (that I can tell anyway, what makes yours unstable?)...

Oh, and what NIC have you got?
And are you getting the full 1000kbps download? Good test site's to download from are Microsoft Downloads.

Im in this strange "only on about 5 meg" boat aswell. All my kit is set to 100mb full duplex, cant get past 600kbps download from anywhere.

odd.
Fenlock is offline   Reply With Quote