Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telewest/Blueyonder Speed Upgrades- Have you been upgraded yet???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telewest/Blueyonder Speed Upgrades- Have you been upgraded yet???

Old 08-11-2005, 14:49   #1
N3m3sis
Inactive

N3m3sis is an unknown quantity at this point
Telewest/Blueyonder Speed Upgrades- Have you been upgraded yet???

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to where and when these speed upgrades are occuring. Network/UBR maintenance work is being shown as completed in many areas and whilst some have said that they have now got the speed increase, others have seen the hardware upgrades done but as yet no speed increase. There seems to be very little maintenance scheduled on the blueyonder maintenance page and the evenfaster webpage has not been updated for sometime. It would be helpful for others that are waiting for their speed increase to know how long after completion of the network/ubr upgrades, were the increased speeds switched on? How long after the 1mb to 4mb increase did the 10mb increase become available for users in the same areas?. This information would be of great service to all those still waiting for their upgrade and would stop the constant speculation as to timeframes for implementation of the actual speed increase so if you have any of the above info please post it in this thread, and keep the thread clean of speculation and other issues.

I live in North London and all the ubr's and network upgrades in Camden, Dalston, Enfield, and Haringey were completed with the work to the Haringey ubr's on 04/11/2005. I have seen 2 separate posts elswhere today stating that the 1 - 4mb speed upgrade has been implemented.
1 - 4mb in Wood Green
1 - 4mb in Enfield
Duration from completion of the ubr upgrades: 4 days.
N3m3sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2005, 16:18   #2
Nez
Inactive

Nez is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Telewest/Blueyonder Speed Upgrades- Have you been upgraded yet???

Seems like Telewest are all over the show.I live in Yardley, Birmingham,and my 1mg download should have been increased to 4mg yesterday.However,after talking to a friend whose having the same upgrade,he called customer services and was told although the upgrade was complete,the switch-on for his area has'nt happened yet.He lives in the north west of the city,in Great Barr,and myself in the south east.A distance of about eight miles.It seems that a lot of people I have spoken to are also getting fluctuating speeds on their downloads.Mine is sometimes 1220kbps,whilst other times it's 860 kbps.Obviously Telewest are fine tuning the system,but when it will be complete is anyone's guess.I will tell you however,when I get upgraded,if that will help.
Nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 16:49   #3
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3m3sis
There seems to be a lot of confusion as to where and when these speed upgrades are occuring. Network/UBR maintenance work is being shown as completed in many areas and whilst some have said that they have now got the speed increase, others have seen the hardware upgrades done but as yet no speed increase. There seems to be very little maintenance scheduled on the blueyonder maintenance page and the evenfaster webpage has not been updated for sometime. It would be helpful for others that are waiting for their speed increase to know how long after completion of the network/ubr upgrades, were the increased speeds switched on? How long after the 1mb to 4mb increase did the 10mb increase become available for users in the same areas?. This information would be of great service to all those still waiting for their upgrade and would stop the constant speculation as to timeframes for implementation of the actual speed increase so if you have any of the above info please post it in this thread, and keep the thread clean of speculation and other issues.

I live in North London and all the ubr's and network upgrades in Camden, Dalston, Enfield, and Haringey were completed with the work to the Haringey ubr's on 04/11/2005. I have seen 2 separate posts elswhere today stating that the 1 - 4mb speed upgrade has been implemented.
1 - 4mb in Wood Green
1 - 4mb in Enfield
Duration from completion of the ubr upgrades: 4 days.
where i live the ubr where upgraded after the speed upgrade if that any help
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:50   #4
N3m3sis
Inactive

Proof of the pudding!
Old 09-11-2005, 14:05   #5
Daffy Duck
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV,BB and phone
Daffy Duck is a jewel in the roughDaffy Duck is a jewel in the roughDaffy Duck is a jewel in the roughDaffy Duck is a jewel in the roughDaffy Duck is a jewel in the rough

Cheers for that info N3m3sis.... as i live in Tottenham i was wondering when the upgrade would go through but after seeing your post i tested my connection with a driver d/load from ATI.....averaged between 970 and 980KB's so it seems it has already

PS: As i'm new to these forums i'd like to take this opportunity to say hello to everyone
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 14:18   #6
N3m3sis
Inactive

My Stong advice to all those that have been upgraded to 10Mb/s and are getting nowhere near that speed is to experiment with your upstream channel.
Start with Channel 1 and run 3 speedtests (from here: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp) on EACH channel and note the downstream"true" speed value (the one with overheads)

Do the same for each channel and then see which channel is giving you the most consistent higher speed and then set the modem to it. This can be done from the modem control console.
If done during peak time then this will make sure you are getting the maximum possible speed when your node is under heavy use and will give you an even better value at other times.
Then max "true" speed value I have had since they switched it over yesterday is 10131 Kb/s and that was at 8:30 am this morning. At 1:27 am I got 9940 Kb/s
Old 09-11-2005, 16:40   #7
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
My Stong advice to all those that have been upgraded to 10Mb/s and are getting nowhere near that speed is to experiment with your upstream channel.
Start with Channel 1 and run 3 speedtests (from here: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp) on EACH channel and note the downstream"true" speed value (the one with overheads)

Do the same for each channel and then see which channel is giving you the most consistent higher speed and then set the modem to it. This can be done from the modem control console.
If done during peak time then this will make sure you are getting the maximum possible speed when your node is under heavy use and will give you an even better value at other times.
Then max "true" speed value I have had since they switched it over yesterday is 10131 Kb/s and that was at 8:30 am this morning. At 1:27 am I got 9940 Kb/s
how do you change the channel? cause i normal get about 2mb from that test although i can get the 1.3mb/s download speed i have also gotten about 2.5mb/s for a short time but i normally average 900kb/s, the uplaod normal is about 40kb/s but agiani have had it go to 300kb/s at one point
Old 09-11-2005, 17:27   #8
N3m3sis
Inactive

First of all, have you been upgraded to 4mb or 10mb?.

In order to access the modem control console put this url into your browser :
This will take you to your modems control console. Pick configuration from the
left hand side menu and in the main window you will see various configuration values like Frequency and Upstream channel. Change the channel as in the instructions, save the changes and then reboot the modem.
Old 09-11-2005, 18:35   #9
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
First of all, have you been upgraded to 4mb or 10mb?.

In order to access the modem control console put this url into your browser :
This will take you to your modems control console. Pick configuration from the
left hand side menu and in the main window you will see various configuration values like Frequency and Upstream channel. Change the channel as in the instructions, save the changes and then reboot the modem.
im on 10mb

i dnt have anything to alothugh me to chanegs setting in that page

does ti makea differenc ei havea webstar modem? also tehr eno configuration page at all but i can see the channel number

downstream 0

upstream 5
Old 10-11-2005, 09:20   #10
Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Inactive

Services: 10meg BY Cable
Pø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via MSN to Pø†øƒGøLÐ

I called CS yesterday about an intermittent fault (msn logging out at inconvenient times and various hubs on DC just dropping for no reason) which turned out to be a fault in my area (B64 for those who care)... and was told that my account had been upgraded to 10meg but the "switch hadn't been flicked" to activate us yet - nice CS guy confirmed the ubr had been upgraded (even tho there's nothing on the site anyway to say this) and we should all be completed by the end of November... apparently.

I can't edit any of the information in the 192.168.100.1 page - it's view only... which I assume is something to do with my running it thru a router (I have a Webstar DPX100 or something like that) - how do I change the channel in the modem?
Pø†øƒGøLÐ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:34   #11
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PÃÃ*â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¸ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â ÃƒÆ’Ã*’Ã‚à ¸Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢GÃÃ*’ƸLÃÃ*’ 
I called CS yesterday about an intermittent fault (msn logging out at inconvenient times and various hubs on DC just dropping for no reason) which turned out to be a fault in my area (B64 for those who care)... and was told that my account had been upgraded to 10meg but the "switch hadn't been flicked" to activate us yet - nice CS guy confirmed the ubr had been upgraded (even tho there's nothing on the site anyway to say this) and we should all be completed by the end of November... apparently.

I can't edit any of the information in the 192.168.100.1 page - it's view only... which I assume is something to do with my running it thru a router (I have a Webstar DPX100 or something like that) - how do I change the channel in the modem?
thats the same modem i have and i get view only and i connect direct to the modem, i would to love to know how ot chaneg the channel i be very happy
Old 10-11-2005, 09:52   #12
Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Inactive

Services: 10meg BY Cable
Pø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via MSN to Pø†øƒGøLÐ

I had some Motorola before - couple of years ago I think - but they swapped it when I had connection issues... and that had accessible settings which could be altered.

Apparently the ones we have are some of the oldest TW currently provide but there are no plans to replace them on a wide scale and I was assured by CS that they are more than adequate for the new speeds.
Pø†øƒGøLÐ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:51   #13
jpxdude
Inactive

jpxdude is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I live in Edmonton, and the max speed i'm getting is only 3mb I was on a 2mb line, and noticed the speed jump to 3 yesterday, as the upgrade was completed the day before (I think)

The cable modem I'm using is a motorola SB4100 I think, and it is attached to a Belkin wireless router, but I'm wired to it. Is there anyone that may know why I'm not getting the full 10mb speed?

Thanks for any help offered!

J
jpxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 17:17   #14
Jose Amnesia
Inactive

Services: Blueyonder 1mb (Upgrading to 4mb?)
Jose Amnesia is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Jose Amnesia

South Yorkshire and no signs of being upgraded yet......
Jose Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:43   #15
Junglizt1210
Inactive

Junglizt1210 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in BS9 and I think we got the upgrade 2 days ago.

I have heard reports from people who live in BS6, BS7, BS16 and BS34 getting theire upgraded before mine.

Yate (BS32) is currently being upgraded afaik, according to the Telewest status page.

Also, since I'm on (or near) 4mb now... would it be wise to call Telewest and ask for 10mb? or should I wait for things to settle, them to fine tune it etc..... just to avoid the hassle. I'm itching to get the 10mb now...
Junglizt1210 is offline   Reply With Quote