Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VPN Not allowed? Show me where it says in T&C!?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VPN Not allowed? Show me where it says in T&C!?

Old 27-10-2003, 23:55   #1
phully
Inactive

phully is an unknown quantity at this point
VPN Not allowed? Show me where it says in T&C!?

Hey all

Some of you may or not know me (im the one who for 2 1/2 years has had free 600KB broadband due to cock ups at NTL's hands and they have forgotten bout me)

Anyway, i have a friend who works for a software company, now and again he dials into work using a VPN connection.

I have glanced at a few things in this forum, some of which say that a VPN is banned and against the T&C.

Can someone please show me where it says this, well IF it says this.

Thanks in advance,

- Aaron
phully is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2003, 00:02   #2
phully
Inactive

Re: VPN Not allowed? Show me where it says in T&C!?

If anyone has any information it would be great.

Just looking for some clarification.
Old 28-10-2003, 00:05   #3
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I can't see anything about VPN being banned in any of the threads here:

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/search.php?searchid=7765

Sorry
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 00:07   #4
grum1978
Inactive

grum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to grum1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by phully
Hey all

Some of you may or not know me (im the one who for 2 1/2 years has had free 600KB broadband due to cock ups at NTL's hands and they have forgotten bout me)

Anyway, i have a friend who works for a software company, now and again he dials into work using a VPN connection.

I have glanced at a few things in this forum, some of which say that a VPN is banned and against the T&C.

Can someone please show me where it says this, well IF it says this.

Thanks in advance,

- Aaron
take a look here section 18 clearly states you can use VPN but no technical support will be offered etc..
grum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 00:10   #5
phully
Inactive

Thanks for your help

So basically, it IS allowed. If any of NTL's services are affected by the VPN then they can instruct me to cease my VPN

Why/how could it affect NTL's network.
Old 28-10-2003, 00:13   #6
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

VPN traffic is fairly bandwidth intensive.. thats the only logical reason they could have against it
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 00:14   #7
grum1978
Inactive

grum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enoughgrum1978 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for your help

So basically, it IS allowed. If any of NTL's services are affected by the VPN then they can instruct me to cease my VPN

Why/how could it affect NTL's network.
I don't know to be honest, this is however a standard clause all ISP's will put in to prevent any usage that will damage/affect their network. To be honest I wouldn't worry about it unless ntl contact you as you could be worring for nothing

HTH
Old 28-10-2003, 00:19   #8
phully
Inactive

Yea, well as i said a friend of mine uses it quite often, e.g. when he is on-site etc.

Just something i think that needed to be clarified. Surely a VPN is less intensive than say someone downloading movies all day long.

That would use up all of their allocated bandwithe where a VPN would rarely use 100% of the allocated bandwithe 100% of the day.

If it would degrade their network, then surely downloading movies and P2P programs would be degrading it?

Thanks for your input.
Old 28-10-2003, 00:27   #9
grum1978
Inactive

Quote:
Yea, well as i said a friend of mine uses it quite often, e.g. when he is on-site etc.

Just something i think that needed to be clarified. Surely a VPN is less intensive than say someone downloading movies all day long.

That would use up all of their allocated bandwithe where a VPN would rarely use 100% of the allocated bandwithe 100% of the day.

If it would degrade their network, then surely downloading movies and P2P programs would be degrading it?

Thanks for your input.
yes agreed those people can affect the network also if you read section 2h it has an advised download limit as well
Old 28-10-2003, 08:34   #10
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste

Funny that though..........I remember seeing the part that spoke about VPN...didnt say you couldnt have one, just said they would not support it and you would have to stop using it if they asked!
Old 28-10-2003, 08:37   #11
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste

oops....i didnt read post 4 !!
Old 28-10-2003, 11:03   #12
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

MEthinks that your biggest problem will be getting it working, not if NTL allow it.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 11:33   #13
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
MEthinks that your biggest problem will be getting it working, not if NTL allow it.
I run a VPN from home to work with no issues.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2003, 18:00   #14
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
I run a VPN from home to work with no issues.
Me too never heard a bean from them!
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote