Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | National Insurance - how does that work?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

National Insurance - how does that work?

Old 26-10-2003, 21:21   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
National Insurance - how does that work?

After having one of those aimless conversations with a mate that ramble on and never seem to go anywhere, but do you know how National Insurance numbers are made up? For example, what part of it relates to the year of birth?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2003, 21:49   #2
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: National Insurance - how does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
After having one of those aimless conversations with a mate that ramble on and never seem to go anywhere, but do you know how National Insurance numbers are made up? For example, what part of it relates to the year of birth?
I have never given it any thought.....
Though I found this
Old 26-10-2003, 22:29   #3
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

I reckon it's COMPLETELY random, like the government and running of this country!!!!!
Old 26-10-2003, 23:27   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Well be very careful about it and with it.

My sister got into a problem over hers.For years she was paying her contribution to the WRONG number all because some drip somewhere altered it by mistake.It took her years to realise the mistake and for a while there it looked like she wasn't going to get her pension.Luckily they have managed to go all the way back to the original mistake and sort it(being self employed for so many years she kept everything so she had proof)so as from next February she gets her pension.

Incog.
Old 26-10-2003, 23:51   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Well be very careful about it and with it.

My sister got into a problem over hers.For years she was paying her contribution to the WRONG number all because some drip somewhere altered it by mistake.It took her years to realise the mistake and for a while there it looked like she wasn't going to get her pension.Luckily they have managed to go all the way back to the original mistake and sort it(being self employed for so many years she kept everything so she had proof)so as from next February she gets her pension.

Incog.
nice one incog - good on your sister.
Old 27-10-2003, 08:33   #6
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Just like the benifits of national insurance..

A complete mystery to everyone except some government chappy.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2003, 09:26   #7
gary_580

I believe (bujt could be wrong) they are allocated as a sequentially increasing number with either A,B,C or D added to the end. from memory i think one of the digits is a check digit too
Old 27-10-2003, 10:40   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The blue and red plastic card you get is an overhang from a farcical attempt in the 1980s to streamline the process of claiming benefits etc ... you were meant to be able to have the card swiped to get services you were entitled to (sound familiar?). It never worked. My card snapped in two quite some time ago. I had never been asked for it up to then and I have never been asked for it since.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2003, 11:23   #9
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
I believe (bujt could be wrong) they are allocated as a sequentially increasing number with either A,B,C or D added to the end. from memory i think one of the digits is a check digit too
I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Its the driver licence number that has the DOB in the middle.
FFFFF-nnnnnn-GGGCC
F - first 5 chars of family name (or 9? if less than 5)
n - scrambled DOB
G - Give Name initials (or 9 if less than 3)
C - Check characters. Bit of a secret how they are calculated. Prevents copies of Driver numbers being made easily.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2003, 11:33   #10
gary_580

Quote:

OH yeah, and if you have a temporary NI number it will end with and M or an F
Old 27-10-2003, 11:55   #11
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
OH yeah, and if you have a temporary NI number it will end with and M or an F
Those will be your DOB.

TNDDMMYY(M/F)
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote