Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Plus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Plus

Old 25-10-2003, 21:36   #1
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one
Sky Plus

Anyone use this, I've just bitten the bullet and ordered it. Have I done the right thing? I think I get 30 days to cancel...So come on what's the problems or is it the best thing since sliced bread? (PS. I already have SKY)
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2003, 21:42   #2
Defiant

Re: Sky Plus

I wont be getting paid TV again the price's keep going up. More than happy with FREEview
Old 25-10-2003, 21:48   #3
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

I'd love it but I can't justify the extra £'s. It would work out £17 extra to switch from NTL (TV) and take the equivalent package and the £200 outlay.

I wish NTL would bring one out.....
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2003, 11:42   #4
Undisputedtruth
Banned

Undisputedtruth can only hope to improve

I think Trick is doing the right thing. The ability to set up your own TV schedule is an excellent selling point. I would even go as far to say that SKY plus is a lifestyle enhancing product as you can now choose what to watch and when to watch around a busy schedule. Basically, as far as I'm aware there are no pricing difference between NTL and Sky equivalent packages. however, you may have more choice under Sky. If SKY puts up their price then it is a good chance NTL will put up theirs too.
Undisputedtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2003, 23:47   #5
Salu
Inactive

Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze

The issue is the phone rental which is included in the family pack. Leave NTL and you have to pay £10.
Old 27-10-2003, 02:02   #6
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
The issue is the phone rental which is included in the family pack. Leave NTL and you have to pay £10.
You can keep the NTL phone line, it is £9.50 per month, same as BT.

I find BT to be cheaper for calls.

Sky and NTL TV prices are the same with the exception of Premiership Plus which is far cheaper on NTL. You have to have more than one premium channel with Sky Plus to avoid the £10 per month charge.

Sky Plus is brilliant, you won't regret it.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2003, 08:15   #7
Salu
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
You can keep the NTL phone line, it is £9.50 per month, same as BT.

I find BT to be cheaper for calls.

Sky and NTL TV prices are the same with the exception of Premiership Plus which is far cheaper on NTL. You have to have more than one premium channel with Sky Plus to avoid the £10 per month charge.

Sky Plus is brilliant, you won't regret it.

I pay £28 for my family pack
£25 for broadband
Total =£53 per month.

With Sky
£9.50 to NTL for phone
£25 for BB
£32 for Sky movies which includes the £10 per month EPG/SKY+ fee as it is a premium package
+£200 box fee.

Total £66.50 and £200 outlay....

That's why I can't justify it. Although I really want it..I have kids to feed
Old 01-11-2003, 15:42   #8
Tricky
Inactive

Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Well it's in, installed inside 30 minutes. All working fine and I cannot imagine how I ever survived without this in the past. Now to go out and buy 120gb HDU and upgrade the thing!!!

Don't know who's idea it was to have a white case though! Cannot convince the Wife that we need a B&O tv to match!!!
Old 01-11-2003, 15:51   #9
Undisputedtruth
Banned

Undisputedtruth can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salu
I pay £28 for my family pack
£25 for broadband
Total =£53 per month.

With Sky
£9.50 to NTL for phone
£25 for BB
£32 for Sky movies which includes the £10 per month EPG/SKY+ fee as it is a premium package
+£200 box fee.

Total £66.50 and £200 outlay....

That's why I can't justify it. Although I really want it..I have kids to feed
There is a rumour about the Skyplus box dropping down to £120 after christmas. I understand your position Salu. You could recoup some of your outlay by switching your phone to BT and make full use of their options calls.
Undisputedtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 15:54   #10
Tricky
Inactive

Depending on the number of calls you make get your NTL phone reduced to £5 from £9.50 (I did) - Ring Customer Services and ask for it...They give it you for 12 months at a time
Old 01-11-2003, 16:31   #11
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Tricky - pcworld are doing a special offer on 120gb hard disk in the components section - £50!
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 17:39   #12
Bizarre
Inactive

Bizarre is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
Depending on the number of calls you make get your NTL phone reduced to £5 from £9.50 (I did) - Ring Customer Services and ask for it...They give it you for 12 months at a time
Please explain...
Bizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 21:22   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I am quite happy with my Tivo and unless sky have improved the software since I last saw it then the season pass system on a Tivo is far better. In the future I expect my PC to be recording programmes for me as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 21:40   #14
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

sky plus is good in theory (i don't have it, but it reminds me of TiVO), but I'm more inclined to wait for MS windows XP media centre edition to get released properly over here. It looks the NUTS!!!!! A complete interface for anything media related. You plug the unit into your tele and it does the radio, music, tv (which can be recorded onto your HDD), internet, games... and it comes with a remote control!!! COOL!!!!

take a look:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...er/default.asp
Old 01-11-2003, 22:27   #15
Salu
Inactive

Its already here....

http://www.evesham.com/Spotlights/Me...5-542BBC045BF8