Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Queen to dissolve government?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Queen to dissolve government?

Old 23-10-2003, 20:47   #1
Jerrek
Inactive

Jerrek can only hope to improve
Queen to dissolve government?

It seems that the "EU Constitution" that Tony Blair is pushing for strips the Queen of most of her Royals Power and perogatives and hands them over to Burssels or the "EU Prime Minister" (Read: the hopeful Tony Blair).

Apparently the Queen had actually discussed the Constitution with Tony Balir before to address her concerns about exactly what powers this gave to the EU and took from her and was assured this would not effect her or remove any powers from her at all.

Yet this is exactly what the Constitution DOES do.

As such she's now consulting lawyers and a few Princes are very annoyed and they have been told they can, and are considering, disolving parliament if they don't get some truth about this and a Referendum is called on the subject. They consider this the "nuclear" option but if they are left with no choice they WILL disolve parliament and call a general election.

Looks like Tony Blair may have shot himself in the foot.

Lying to the general public is one thing, but lying to the Queen and trying to strip her of her powers? Isn't that treason? I also believe that is covered by the death penalty in the United Kingdom.

I really don't like the agenda Tony Blair is pushing down onto the Britains. He is refusing them a referendum. I think it would be a good thing if the Queen dissolves the parliament and hold a general election. If Tony Blair did indeed lie to the Queen, he should be punished appropiately. I hope he didn't though.
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2003, 20:51   #2
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Queen to dissolve government?

Britain has been around a lot longer than America, as a result our system is a mix of old and new. Whenever an oldie causes a problem it's usually changed, if the queen causes a fuss the people will dethrone her and dissolved the monarchy. Unless of course the people agree with her. Why do you think she hasn't made any official orders since, since... When was the last time the queen ordered something??? I guess the people would have been behind her if she refused to give Tony HER army for iraq,
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 20:56   #3
Jerrek
Inactive

I hope she dissolves the government and calls an election and referendum. It will give you Brits a fighting chance to not join the European Union.
Old 23-10-2003, 20:59   #4
downquark1
cf.mega poster

downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
I hope she dissolves the government and calls an election and referendum. It will give you Brits a fighting chance to not join the European Union.
Curious, what are you reasons behind that?
Old 23-10-2003, 21:01   #5
Jerrek
Inactive

Tony Blair doesn't want to call referendum because he knows that by democracy, the majority of the people wouldn't want to join the European Union. Good for them. It would be a bad move, and it seems Her Majesty agrees.
Old 23-10-2003, 21:03   #6
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

It would be an interesting referendum.
It would be a vote for the monarchy as much as keeping Britain out of Europe.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 21:04   #7
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Relics we are stuck with (but not necessarily bad):
The monarchy
the house of lords
London traffic system
General traffic system
Schools that look like old country homes
Royal mail
The pompus memory of owning 3/4 of the world
the stereotype of being either posh men in top hats or crude cockneys
The knowledge america could have been ours
Dislike of the French and Irish

any others?
Old 23-10-2003, 21:07   #8
dr wadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
Tony Blair doesn't want to call referendum because he knows that by democracy, the majority of the people wouldn't want to join the European Union. Good for them. It would be a bad move, and it seems Her Majesty agrees.
There is absolutely no obligation for any prime minister to call a referendum on any topic as we have a representational democracy, not a participatory democracy.

But the sooner Europe becomes a single unified country the better, it will provide a power that can genuinely stand up to the USA. As for the royal family, I think you`ll find the French had the right idea about that.
Old 23-10-2003, 21:10   #9
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I am divided on the Europe issue. On one hand I love Europe, it's food, culture and many other things. I would love it if we were more of a part of it. On the other hand Brussels is (imo) a corrupt, wasteful gravy train that should never be entrusted with running our country and has far too much power over us already.
Old 23-10-2003, 21:10   #10
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1
Relics we are stuck with (but not necessarily bad):

The pompus memory of owning 3/4 of the world
How many kids these days know we used to own 3/4 of the world? :P

Quote:
the stereotype of being either posh men in top hats or crude cockneys
Blame the american's for that
Quote:
The knowledge america could have been ours
Is it that much of a loss?
Quote:
Dislike of the French
They're French, how can we not dislike them? They even dislike themselves

tee-hee
Old 23-10-2003, 21:12   #11
Jerrek
Inactive

Quote:
There is absolutely no obligation for any prime minister to call a referendum on any topic as we have a representational democracy, not a participatory democracy.
That is true, but in a case of something like this, why not let the people decide?

And why would you like to stand up against the United States so much? Inferiority complex?
Old 23-10-2003, 21:15   #12
Xaccers
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
I am divided on the Europe issue. On one hand I love Europe, it's food, culture and many other things. I would love it if we were more of a part of it. On the other hand Brussels is (imo) a corrupt, wasteful gravy train that should never be entrusted with running our country and has far too much power over us already.
I think you hit the nail on the head there Ramrod.
Most people I know see brussels like that.
They don't feel that brussels has our best interests at heart, but its own.
If brussels was efficient, fair, uncorrupted (remember they sacked the woman who was brought in to find corruption because she actually did her job and tried to blow the whistle), then I don't think so many people would be against it.
Old 23-10-2003, 21:33   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

When I was originally asked to vote in the original referendum I was asked to vote to join a European Common Market.Seemed a good way to avoid wars so I agreed on the premise that those who trade together have got too much to lose in a war.
However I was never asked to vote on joining a Federated Europe despite what Tony Blair thinks.I think I would know if I had because IF that had been an option I would have told 'em to go scr*w themselves.

Two world wars not to be told what to do by Germany and now they can tell us what to do via the back door.

Incog.
Old 23-10-2003, 21:35   #14
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Two world wars not to be told what to do by Germany and now they can tell us what to do via the back door.

Incog.
Strange, people in germany are telling us not to join the euro
Old 23-10-2003, 21:37   #15
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
(remember they sacked the woman who was brought in to find corruption because she actually did her job and tried to blow the whistle), then I don't think so many people would be against it.
Yea, that bit really rankles, the fact that they s*rew the whistleblowers.
....and Ken Livingstone helped them to do it