Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are we all truly selfish in everything we do?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Are we all truly selfish in everything we do?

Old 10-10-2005, 23:05   #1
Macca371

Been thinking philsophically here, let's see what you think.

Basically, is there any completely selfless act possible? Standing up for old people on the bus to let them sit, for example, - would we do it if it didn't make us feel better about ourselves? Absolutely everything that you do, you do it because you want to. Somebody said what about having to decide whether you die or somebody you love had to die. If you chose to have yourself killed instead, why would you actually be doing this? Yes, technically it is selfless because you are destroying yourself to save somebody else. But the reason why you would do this? Is it not because you don't want to see the person you love suffer, is it not because you don't want that person to die - is it not fundamentally about what we want and not other people?

Therefore, do we all just follow what we want to do? Aren't we just slaves to what we want? Do we actually have free will?
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2005, 23:11   #2
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Are we all truly selfish in everything we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond

Basically, is there any completely selfless act possible? Standing up for old people on the bus to let them sit, for example, - would we do it if it didn't make us feel better about ourselves? Absolutely everything that you do, you do it because you want to. Somebody said what about having to decide whether you die or somebody you love had to die. If you chose to have yourself killed instead, why would you actually be doing this? Yes, technically it is selfless because you are destroying yourself to save somebody else. But the reason why you would do this? Is it not because you don't want to see the person you love suffer, is it not because you don't want that person to die - is it not fundamentally about what we want and not other people?

Therefore, do we all just follow what we want to do? Aren't we just slaves to what we want? Do we actually have free will?
You should try reading 'The selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins - he covers the issue of altruistic actions - truly selfless acts.
His arguement is, is that there is no such thing, since on some genetic level you are helping yourself, or your genes.
For example, saving a loved one, such as a child or a sibling, ensures your genes carry on existing - even saving (for example) a complete stranger from drowning could be viewed that way - he said it's entirely possible that in that split second before you act, on a genetic level your body is able to asses whether or not that person is in someway distantly related to you, and by saving them you would be helping your genetic code to carry on.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:16   #3
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

I think where free will comes in to the equasion is the ability to fit what we want around other peoples wants and the methods we use. There are those that will ride roughshod over others and reach their goal not caring whether they are liked or not, and perhaps having a very narrow life as a result. And those who will consider others because they want to be liked but will perhaps not reach their goals and have a richer life as a result.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:27   #4
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Quote:
I think so... Every human, mammal, insect animal etc is too..
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:28   #5
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

If a person with a gun gave me the choice who was to die between myself and a person i didnt know, i would choose myself, because i couldnt sentence the other person
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:31   #6
Pia
Inactive

Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky
If a person with a gun gave me the choice who was to die between myself and a person i didnt know, i would choose myself, because i couldnt sentence the other person
I would let the other person die. Would the other person die for you?

Anyway i would, mainly for my son because i wouldnt like him to grow up without me..
Old 10-10-2005, 23:34   #7
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia
I would let the other person die. Would the other person die for you?

Anyway i would, mainly for my son because i wouldnt like him to grow up without me..
I dont care what the other person would or would not do, its what i would do.
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:34   #8
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey
even saving (for example) a complete stranger from drowning could be viewed that way - he said it's entirely possible that in that split second before you act, on a genetic level your body is able to asses whether or not that person is in someway distantly related to you, and by saving them you would be helping your genetic code to carry on.

Granted I'm not Mr.Dawkins number one fan, but that is just beyond funny.
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:34   #9
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Basically, is there any completely selfless act possible?
Well, for me, giving blood is completely unselfish because I get nothing from it (apart from a cup of orange squash and some Bourbon biscuits! )

I have no *reason* to give blood, no benefit accrues to me, but I do it because it will help others.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:36   #10
Pia
Inactive

Then again, i think the circumstances would change my thoughts anyhow- i suppose its never a clear cut answer.
For example- what if the other person was a child? Or your mother?
I hope nobody i know will ever been in that position anyhow..
Old 10-10-2005, 23:36   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky
Not me I'm afraid, I would choose the other person without much hesitation, and if this were ever to really happen, most people would, whatever they might say atm. Self preservation .......

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:40   #12
Macca371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
Well, for me, giving blood is completely unselfish because I get nothing from it (apart from a cup of orange squash and some Bourbon biscuits! )

I have no *reason* to give blood, no benefit accrues to me, but I do it because it will help others.
There must be some reason. Does it make you feel better about yourself knowing you have given blood?
Old 10-10-2005, 23:41   #13
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

Time to be more constructive than my last post...

It's impossible for any of us to be objective over this subject, because any stance you take on the origin or source of life, morality, good or evil will affect whether you think true selflessness is possible.

Personally, I'm totally unashamed to say that I think it very much IS possible and that my bias is that I believe that we all have the capacity to do both good and evil, to be selfish and unselfish.

It's up to everyone to decide for themselves what the truth about our world and universe is and to act upon that conviction.
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 23:47   #14
homealone

what a difficult question?

one answer is no, but ..

another is yes, but...

so without a clear answer, is the thread doomed to discussion of the buts? - bummer
Old 10-10-2005, 23:54   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I would think that generally, people are selfish in that they do things because they get some gain from it or because it makes them feel good (and that includes giving blood, Graham). If however someone in a combat situation takes a bullet for his mate that has wife and kids, and that is considered selfish because the person taking the bullet does not want the other bloke's kids and wife to suffer rather than not wanting him to die, I think we're just changing the definition of selfishness.