Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Washing powder

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Washing powder

Old 23-10-2003, 16:18   #1
peachey
Permanently Banned

peachey is an unknown quantity at this point
Washing powder

What is the difference between bio and non bio washing powder/materials?

I was in asda and was perplexed about what sort to buy
and what the pros and cons were for each
peachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2003, 16:24   #2
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Washing powder

biological use enzimes which some people can be allergic to.
non-bio is a more palatable way of saying chemical
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 16:25   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey

Bio uses enzymes to help break down stains, mimicing ... well, biological processes like the ones that go on inside you and me, I guess. Non-bio is just fancy soap powder and generally not as effective at removing stains.

However, some people can have an allergic skin reaction to biological powder and it isn't recommended for cleaning clothes worn by babies or very young children. Our son's clothes and eco-friendly washable nappies get done in Persil Aloe Vera, which seems to do the trick just fine (nasty poo stains included).

Washing machines ... tumble dryers ... now washing powder ... what's going on at nthw.co.uk? We've all been domesticated!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 16:26   #4
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Er Towny, how come us blokes were the first to answer? maybe we have been domesticated!
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 16:27   #5
homealone

Quote:

bio - contain enzymes that "digest" protein etc & help remove stains.
- pro's good performance at low temperature (40°C), cons - can sometimes cause allergic skin reactions.

non-bio - just detergent, no enzymes
- pro's - good at high temperature, less likely to cause allergic reaction, cons - not such good stain removal at low temperature as bio.

<edit> - did it really take me so long to type that - sorry for repeating what you guys already said.
Old 23-10-2003, 16:29   #6
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

What's everybody's favourite washing machine?
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 16:30   #7
peachey
Permanently Banned

peachey is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for that

in the end I opted for non bio asda own brand 'capsule' things - like sort of flat bubbles with washing powder liquid stuff in them
peachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 16:35   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
Er Towny, how come us blokes were the first to answer? maybe we have been domesticated!
Well, of course, we were answering from a blokey technical point of view, all about chemicals and enzymes, not recommending brands or anything girlie like that.

What? Persil Aloe Vera. So I did. aahhh...

I'll get my coat.

Is now not a good time to admit that I have a username at mumsnet.com?
Old 23-10-2003, 16:53   #9
aliferste
cf.mega poster

aliferste has reached the bronze age
aliferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze agealiferste has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to aliferste

Quote:

About 60p

Buy the cheapest...dont be conned by them!
Old 23-10-2003, 17:40   #10
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

But which is best, powder or liquid? I've been told by various washing machine engineers that powder/liquid clog up the pipes and damage the machine (depending which one you listen to) so is there any difference and do they actually damage the machine?
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 18:21   #11
Atomic22
Inactive

Services: Very High Monthly Bills!
Atomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Atomic22 Send a message via AIM to Atomic22 Send a message via MSN to Atomic22 Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic22

Quote:
Originally Posted by towny
Our son's clothes and eco-friendly washable nappies get done in Persil Aloe Vera, which seems to do the trick just fine (nasty poo stains included).
urgggghhh.....towny noooooooooo ...whilst i recycle 99.9% of re-cyclable stuff that we use the 0.1% that i refuse to recycle is nappys.....pampers and huggies are two of the worlds greatest inventions and mr pamper and mr huggy deserve medals....
we use asda bio tablets and have had no problems with them or with the kids clothes (girls of 6 months and 5 years).
we always buy hotpoint washers/driers/dishwashers/fridges etc as they seem to have the best guarantees with them...

this thread is making all us blokes look very sad and girly and should be closed forthwith so we can get back to posting about footy/rugger/women/beer etc and other such manlike topics
Atomic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 20:04   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
But which is best, powder or liquid? I've been told by various washing machine engineers that powder/liquid clog up the pipes and damage the machine (depending which one you listen to) so is there any difference and do they actually damage the machine?
Missus says the wash is cleaner with powder tablets than with either loose powder or liquid ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic22
urgggghhh.....towny noooooooooo ...whilst i recycle 99.9% of re-cyclable stuff that we use the 0.1% that i refuse to recycle is nappys.....pampers and huggies are two of the worlds greatest inventions and mr pamper and mr huggy deserve medals....
By the time both of your little darlings has outgrown nappies, either Mr Huggy or Mr Pamper will be at least £1,400 richer at your expense. (could be as much as £2,000) . Our son's reusables, including annual laundering cost of an average £33, will have cost us less than £450 and can be used again for number two (no pun intended).

You may balk at the thought of handling a pooey nappy, but I balk at the thought of cleaning up leaks and explosive poo from up my son's back ... something we don't have to do because cloth nappies fit better, are more absorbant (and he doesn't get nappy rash either).

Some further reading:
http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/Inform...sp?ArticleID=2

(Lots of other stuff on that site about disposable nappy propaganda)

And http://www.totsbots.com/ which is the brand we use.

Final thought ... if Henry VIII had been brought up in pampers, they would still be sitting in a landfill site somewhere. I don't want to bequeath a pile of untreated human sewage and questionable absorption chemicals to my great, great grandchildren ....

[/rant]
Old 23-10-2003, 20:06   #13
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

towny u are turning into a women..........u even rant like a women now
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 20:55   #14
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

but does he get PMT????
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 21:05   #15
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
but does he get PMT????
maybe we should ask his wife
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote