Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How and where can I upload a 60MB file

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How and where can I upload a 60MB file

Old 21-10-2003, 18:02   #1
WSHBB
Inactive

WSHBB is an unknown quantity at this point
How and where can I upload a 60MB file

I want to put a 60MB video file on the internet for other to see. How, where and with what can I do this?
WSHBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2003, 18:07   #2
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H
Re: How and where can I upload a 60MB file

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSHBB
I want to put a 60MB video file on the internet for other to see. How, where and with what can I do this?
Well Simply by upload it to the internet

Problem being, NTL only give you 55mb of space

You would have to sign up for a hosting package, Check THIS SITE for hosting deals.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 18:09   #3
WSHBB
Inactive

I have never done this type of thing before. How do I upload it to my area on ntl? I may be able to knock off a few MB by compression.
Old 21-10-2003, 18:10   #4
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

how? - by putting it on a server with sufficient space and bandwidth to host it

where? - on your own server or someone who is nice enough to host it for you and give you ftp access

with what? - an ftp client like: http://www.smartftp.com

as i'm in a nice mood i'll let you upload it to my hosting server... depending on how many people want to download it and for how long it needs to be there.
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 18:13   #5
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Silly question but have you tried to compress it?
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 18:13   #6
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H

Quote:
I have never done this type of thing before. How do I upload it to my area on ntl? I may be able to knock off a few MB by compression.
Yeah, Try Zipping it up with Winzip, or RAR.. Might take a bit of it off.

To access your NTL Space.. Its..

ftp://username:Password@upload.ntlworld.com/

Just drag and drop the files like a normal folder...
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 18:16   #7
Jon M
Inactive

Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array

if you want to compress it i recommend this : http://www.7-zip.com

to upload to your own ntl webspace.. just put these details into smartftp:

server: "upload.ntlworld.com"
username: (your ntl account name)
password: (your account password)
Old 21-10-2003, 19:02   #8
philip.j.fry
Inactive

philip.j.fry has reached the bronze age
philip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze agephilip.j.fry has reached the bronze age

If the video is already compressed with a video codec it's unlikely that rar or zip compression will take off much more than a few k. Re-encoding would be the best way.
philip.j.fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 20:02   #9
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of

why not just stream it from your pc or have it as a download on your pc. that way all you need is a link on a website back to the file on your pc.
I wouldn't say your ip address will change often enough to be a real problem.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 20:03   #10
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.j.fry
If the video is already compressed with a video codec it's unlikely that rar or zip compression will take off much more than a few k. Re-encoding would be the best way.
you are quite right, but we only need 5 mb less. Compressing may just do it.

People tend to compress mac files twice with 2 programs! It's quite irratating
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 21:13   #11
WSHBB
Inactive

I've got the file down to 55MB by altering the length.

Smart FTP keeps saying server timeout after a few MB and stopping uploading. Whats up?
Old 21-10-2003, 21:26   #12
Jon M
Inactive

the ntl servers are notoriously unreliable and over-loaded.. i'd keep trying.. you're more likely to succeed in off peak times

don't forget my offer if this method fails
Old 21-10-2003, 22:37   #13
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of

Quote:

Smart FTP keeps saying server timeout after a few MB and stopping uploading. Whats up?
try a copy and paste using internet explorer and steves address format in reply
number 6
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 22:43   #14
homealone

Quote:

smart ftp is detecting you don't have enough space to upload to - check your webspace is clear before you try the upload - and get the file a bit smaller, say 50 MB?
Old 21-10-2003, 22:50   #15
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Are you using a set top box? The 2000 and 4000 series boxes are notoriously fickle with large uploads.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote