Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What instrument is best...and cheapest to learn?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What instrument is best...and cheapest to learn?

Old 15-09-2005, 23:27   #1
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia
What instrument is best...and cheapest to learn?

I would absolutely love to teach myself (with books and vids etc) how to play either the guitar or the piano. I can't afford a proper piano though but i was thinking more like a big keyboard.
The thing is, money is tight. Also i would ve doing it for an hour or so at a time when my son is in bed, is this achieveable?

Hope someone can give me some tips, i just don't know a lot abuot learning i wish i had done it at school but i'm only 20 and would like to be able top play the keyboard/piano or guitar....
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2005, 23:32   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: What instrument is best...and cheapest to learn?

Piano's easy... get a keyboard, i have a proper piano but my £100-150ish keyboard is OK, tend to use it for MIDI / Soundfonts more than owt else, but it's fine to learn on.

Probably better trying to find some form of (human) teacher though as opposed to teaching yourself... you pick up bad habits, which take longer to sort if you're used to doing them.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 23:32   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Never attempted to play either. Good luck.

If you were to go for the keyboard option, most should have a headphone socket so you need only torture yourself with the noise (sorry music ) and not wake your son. You might be able to mute a guitar a little, but some noise must be inevitable.

As for time available. If you are serious I'd have thought an hour 2-3 times a week would let you get somewhere.

It might be advantageous to check with your local adult education. Many offer classes, which might give you a kick start, and a few tips, helping your motivation.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 23:38   #4
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

I would get a cheap keyboard, a couple of books and teach youself the basics

my wife is in bed she teaches piano i'll ask her and post tomorrow or she can post if she can get me off
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 23:38   #5
atlantis

Check your local papers, the free ones carry ads for guitar lessons, either being tutored in your home, or theirs, if you're worried about doing practise in public.
Guitar music is very soothing, so if you practise with your son around, he'll get used to it, your confidence will rise as well, and he'll sleep through any late sessions.
Old 15-09-2005, 23:39   #6
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

Keyboard would be easaier to learn than guitar, However as a guitarist I can recommend the guitar.

You can get a great accoustic for less than £100 and an electric even cheaper if you dont mind owning a cheapo.

I would invest in lessons though, I spent the last 15 years trying to teach myself and am now looking at getting lessons.

for guitar, I can recomend a program called "guitar pro 4"
and the website www.mysongbook.com (which is really busy, but supplies "tab" for just about any song you can think of and lessons and exercises)

NB TAB is a simplified version of a music sheet, it shows which strings and which fret number to put your finger on.

I notice your from the North East, I can recommend a shop in Stockton on Tees called Bandland. They are on the portrack industrial estate right near holme house prison. They sell drums, keyboards and guitars. The guy that owns it is a wealth of knowledge and very trustworthy.
They even supply P.A Gear to Chubby brown.
Old 15-09-2005, 23:40   #7
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

the spoons or a washing board?

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 23:46   #8
Pia
Inactive

Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars

Hey everyone thanks for all your replies, i think the keyboard probably does seem a less complex one to learn.. I don't know about getting a tutor, any spare money is supposed to be going towards debts and driving lessons so i wanted to do this as my own thing that i can do myself without spending any money.

I'm inspired by people like Jack White who can play piano like he does, i would just love to try do it myself. I guess its just motivation i need
Old 15-09-2005, 23:47   #9
timewarrior2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by piaswales
Hey everyone thanks for all your replies, i think the keyboard probably does seem a less complex one to learn.. I don't know about getting a tutor, any spare money is supposed to be going towards debts and driving lessons so i wanted to do this as my own thing that i can do myself without spending any money.

I'm inspired by people like Jack White who can play piano like he does, i would just love to try do it myself. I guess its just motivation i need

I dont know myself but many Keyboard players find picking up the guitar later in life fairly simple. I know it sounds crazy but they are very a like.
Old 15-09-2005, 23:47   #10
Pia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
Keyboard would be easaier to learn than guitar, However as a guitarist I can recommend the guitar.

You can get a great accoustic for less than £100 and an electric even cheaper if you dont mind owning a cheapo.

I would invest in lessons though, I spent the last 15 years trying to teach myself and am now looking at getting lessons.

for guitar, I can recomend a program called "guitar pro 4"
and the website www.mysongbook.com (which is really busy, but supplies "tab" for just about any song you can think of and lessons and exercises)

NB TAB is a simplified version of a music sheet, it shows which strings and which fret number to put your finger on.

I notice your from the North East, I can recommend a shop in Stockton on Tees called Bandland. They are on the portrack industrial estate right near holme house prison. They sell drums, keyboards and guitars. The guy that owns it is a wealth of knowledge and very trustworthy.
They even supply P.A Gear to Chubby brown.

Excellent post thanks, i will bear all of that in mind... I'm just scared of learning to play the guitar it looks hard! Plus i'm left handed so would i need a left handed guitar?
Old 15-09-2005, 23:48   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Ah a potentially useful way of learning the instrument and getting some tunes out of it. Yet it is a dangerous way of learning if you want to be a serious musician, able to sight read proper music and perhaps improvise with your mates.

As a youngster I learn't the trombone, largely by associating a slide position with the music blob on the music sheet. I did not learn the name of the note and associate the slide position with the note name. I thus cut out the middle man, but as I progressed found it very hard to read new music.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 23:50   #12
timewarrior2001

Quote:
Excellent post thanks, i will bear all of that in mind... I'm just scared of learning to play the guitar it looks hard! Plus i'm left handed so would i need a left handed guitar?

The truth about left and right handed guitar playing is this. You buy a guitar your most comfortable with, I always play right handed, but thats because I never tried left handed (if you understand that).

I really would like to encourage you to start guitar, theres not that many female guitarists around. But seriously look at keyboards too.

I think in reality guitar or keyboard is the only two to consider right now.
Old 15-09-2005, 23:51   #13
Pia
Inactive

Quote:
The truth about left and right handed guitar playing is this. You buy a guitar your most comfortable with, I always play right handed, but thats because I never tried left handed (if you understand that).

I really would like to encourage you to start guitar, theres not that many female guitarists around. But seriously look at keyboards too.

I think in reality guitar or keyboard is the only two to consider right now.
Why don't you teach me!
Old 15-09-2005, 23:52   #14
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Quote:
I would absolutely love to teach myself (with books and vids etc) how to play either the guitar or the piano. I can't afford a proper piano though but i was thinking more like a big keyboard.
The thing is, money is tight. Also i would ve doing it for an hour or so at a time when my son is in bed, is this achieveable?

Hope someone can give me some tips, i just don't know a lot abuot learning i wish i had done it at school but i'm only 20 and would like to be able top play the keyboard/piano or guitar....
Damn pity you don't live near me, we have just put out a big organ with foot pedals and stops for pick up by the local council, perfect working order but the charity shops will not collect.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 23:53   #15
timewarrior2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
Ah a potentially useful way of learning the instrument and getting some tunes out of it. Yet it is a dangerous way of learning if you want to be a serious musician, able to sight read proper music and perhaps improvise with your mates.

As a youngster I learn't the trombone, largely by associating a slide position with the music blob on the music sheet. I did not learn the name of the note and associate the slide position with the note name. I thus cut out the middle man, but as I progressed found it very hard to read new music.

To tell you the truth, not much call for guitarists to learn to read music, unless you want to play classical or perhaps Bass.

Many guitar techniques are learnt these days through very very basic theory and sheer practice, most scales etc come in tab format, most lessons are tabbed cos its quicker and easier than writing music, and as for improvisation, if it sounds right or how you want it too its right.

Quote:
Why don't you teach me!

Cos I'm crap lol