Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'Damp Trap'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'Damp Trap'
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 07:14   #1
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
'Damp Trap'

My friend has a bit of a damp problem in her bathroom, in the flat that she lets out - and I remember seeing in one of these innovations type catalogues a thing called a damp trap - which basically seems to be a box with a load of water absorbing crystals in it.
The way I see it every little bit helps so I was looking to get one.. however I can't find one - it wasn't in the innovations catalogue, it was one of the other ones. I've had a google but can't find anything... anyone know of these...

Incidentally there is already an extractor fan in there, it's just the tenants seem not to have been turning it on (it's got to be switched on outside, because it couldn't be linked up to the light fitting as it's a flat and the ceilings are concrete) - what I'm going to do is replace it with one that activates when there's too much moisture in the air - but the way having the damp trap will help.....
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2005, 07:27   #2
bob_a_builder
Inactive

bob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_a_builder is a splendid one to behold
Re: 'Damp Trap'

silica gel is the stuff in those damp traps, unlikely to be a viable solution in a bathroom, just to much damp !
Old 07-09-2005, 07:32   #3
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

I agree end of the day it cannot solve the problem and the problem will only get worse.

Need to get a builder in I guess, bob the builder is about as we see
Old 07-09-2005, 08:38   #4
MetaWraith
Inactive

MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
MetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appealMetaWraith has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via ICQ to MetaWraith Send a message via AIM to MetaWraith Send a message via MSN to MetaWraith Send a message via Yahoo to MetaWraith

It's a short term solution I know, but DIY stores sell condensation collectors and the gel crystal refills.

One example here
http://www.unibond.co.uk/unibond/nomoremoisture.html
Old 07-09-2005, 08:40   #5
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones

they sell them at homebase, in the plumbing aisle. it's a little plastic box with some stuff in it, lemon flavour if i remember correctly
Old 07-09-2005, 09:44   #6
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

What you need is a de-humidifier we got one because claires student digs where very damp. I think they are around £100.
Old 07-09-2005, 17:24   #7
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

The problem with a dehumidifier is a) you have to remember to switch the thing on and b) you have to empty it.

Given their propensity for not turning on the extractor, what's the likelihood that it will do any good?

I'm sure a good electrician would be able to find a way wire the extractor to the light connection meaning that it would come on automatically.
Old 07-09-2005, 17:39   #8
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_a_builder
silica gel is the stuff in those damp traps, unlikely to be a viable solution in a bathroom, just to much damp !
Silica gel is the desiccant found in small packets inside the packaging of various electrical goods. Nowadays it is normally accompanied by a warning not to eat it. And a good thing too. Many is the time in my younger days when I'd mistake it for a packet of crisps and try to munch it.
Old 07-09-2005, 17:45   #9
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

you can buy extractors that do work of the light switch

and also have a timer built in so they stay on for a specified amout of time
also with ir detectors

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/666-2704
Old 09-09-2005, 20:26   #10
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Most decent dehumidifiers will automatically turn off if they get full of water so can be left on all the time.

Problem is that you cannot put it in the bathroom easily, it would need a power socket & your not allowed to put on in the bathroom unless your a part P qualified sparks or it would need an extension lead trailing in somwewhere.
The condensation collecting boxes are available from Woolworths too.
Old 09-09-2005, 20:57   #11
Martin
Inactive

Services: Sky Q, Bt Infinity
Martin has reached the bronze age
Martin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey
My friend has a bit of a damp problem in her bathroom, in the flat that she lets out
Best thing to do is cure what is causing the damp! It might be lack of ventilation or maybe the gutter overflows on the wall, cure the disease not the symptoms!!
Old 26-03-2010, 13:04   #12
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

2005 thread re-opened. I suspect an ulterior reason for this post.
Old 26-03-2010, 13:26   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

2005 thread closed after Thomas had his way with the spammer
Closed Thread