Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Local radio disappearing in England

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Local radio disappearing in England

Old 10-02-2023, 17:51   #1
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Local radio disappearing in England

Commercial radio no longer broadcasts locally-produced content outside of brief local headlines, as part of a mixed two-minute bulletin of local, national and international news, and BBC Local Radio is about to massively scale back tis local output in favour of regional and England-wide programmes.

What are people's views on the withdrawl by commercial radio, and to an extent, the BBC from local broadcasting in England?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2023, 18:01   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Local radio disappearing in England

I think local radio works where there’s a strong local identity for it to play off. I used to enjoy BBC Radio Merseyside and the independent rival, Radio City, back in the day, but the life and culture of Liverpool greatly enriched what they were able to do. Likewise the (sadly diminishing) local content on Clyde One which is my local radio these days feeds off the strong local character of Glasgow. But other places I’ve lived the local output has made no sense at all. BBC Three Counties Radio, for example (Bedforedshire, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire). What’s the point of that?

And where I am right now the BBC has never bothered with local radio as far as I’m aware; BBC Radio Scotland is like Radio 2 and Radio 4 ran away to Gretna for a dirty weekend and had a love child. It doesn’t do anything either of the national stations can’t do better, and it has no local character because it’s not a local station. Its only USP would be in its ability to handle Scottish national current affairs more thoroughly than either a local station or a London based one would.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 18:46   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
Commercial radio no longer broadcasts locally-produced content outside of brief local headlines, as part of a mixed two-minute bulletin of local, national and international news, and BBC Local Radio is about to massively scale back tis local output in favour of regional and England-wide programmes.

What are people's views on the withdrawl by commercial radio, and to an extent, the BBC from local broadcasting in England?
Its a shame as it is highly valued by some, particularly the isolated/vulnerable. As a public service broadcaster its exactly the service the BBC should provide. However a consequence of freezing the licence fee for years, and constant attacks from the Govt.
Commercial Local Radio has always been crap, no loss there.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:09   #4
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

This isn't just a thing in England, it's happening all over the UK and the genesis was the financial meltdown of 2008.

Companies no longer had the money to advertise and that revenue is the lifeblood of any local commercial radio station.

Broadcasting media companies merged, jobs were lost, radio stations rebranded and now here we are.

Local commercial radio is gone forever.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:24   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

And the Megaphone Man is lost to history
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:43   #6
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

See? It’s not all bad…

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 14:16   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:

As has happened with regional TV, commercial pressures & the influence of the internet on viewing/listening habits were its downfall. Local, or should we now refer to it as community radio IS actually thriving on the internet, with no transmission costs & volunteers manning the microphones. The gateway is now opening with small scale DAB being launched in most areas that these outfits can gain access to the airwaves & bring even more listeners in. I was a listener to Chiltern Radio when it launched, & it became a benchmark for what would follow, as they started to buy up or start other stations & bring them into their "Hot FM" & Supergold brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0yap7JRPw

Happy days!!

Last edited by nodrogd; 11-02-2023 at 14:33.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 17:12   #8
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think local radio works where there’s a strong local identity for it to play off. I used to enjoy BBC Radio Merseyside and the independent rival, Radio City, back in the day, but the life and culture of Liverpool greatly enriched what they were able to do. Likewise the (sadly diminishing) local content on Clyde One which is my local radio these days feeds off the strong local character of Glasgow. But other places I’ve lived the local output has made no sense at all. BBC Three Counties Radio, for example (Bedforedshire, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire). What’s the point of that?

And where I am right now the BBC has never bothered with local radio as far as I’m aware; BBC Radio Scotland is like Radio 2 and Radio 4 ran away to Gretna for a dirty weekend and had a love child. It doesn’t do anything either of the national stations can’t do better, and it has no local character because it’s not a local station. Its only USP would be in its ability to handle Scottish national current affairs more thoroughly than either a local station or a London based one would.
The BBC has never provided any local programmes in Scotland apart from Orkney and Shetland although I think there are short opt-out news bulletins for various areas of Scotland.

Same with Wales although at one time, there were opt-out stations for Clwyd and Gwent.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Initially BBC 3CR was Radio Bedfordshire before it expanded to cover the other two counties. Also for a time, there was an o-t-out programme for the Milton Keynes area.

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Its a shame as it is highly valued by some, particularly the isolated/vulnerable. As a public service broadcaster its exactly the service the BBC should provide. However a consequence of freezing the licence fee for years, and constant attacks from the Govt.
Commercial Local Radio has always been crap, no loss there.
I have no doubt that the BBC isn't doing this through choice but in the light of vastly reduced license fee money on real terms, savings have to be made and it can now only be done through closing/merging services.

However the thing with the BBC is that it is relied upon by older listeners who are less internet savvy and not served by commercial radio so by closing/merging services loved by older listeners, especially local radio and the regional enws programmes, to invest in non-linear digital services seems rather a strange decision.

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
As has happened with regional TV, commercial pressures & the influence of the internet on viewing/listening habits were its downfall. Local, or should we now refer to it as community radio IS actually thriving on the internet, with no transmission costs & volunteers manning the microphones. The gateway is now opening with small scale DAB being launched in most areas that these outfits can gain access to the airwaves & bring even more listeners in. I was a listener to Chiltern Radio when it launched, & it became a benchmark for what would follow, as they started to buy up or start other stations & bring them into their "Hot FM" & Supergold brands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0yap7JRPw

Happy days!!
Community radio is also thriving on FM.
Old 10-11-2023, 14:21   #9
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Since these posts, BBC Local Radio no longer broadcasts local or regional programming of any kind after 10pm and on a Sunday, national programming commences even earlier following the England-wide launch of Doton Adebayo's Sunday evening BBC Radio London show.

I find it strange that BBC Local Radio doesn't just broadcast 5 Live during the evening and overnight like it used to to until the late 1980s when stations handed over the Radio 2 at at 6pm or 7pm and earlier at the weekend, especially over the summer. Why go to the expense of having to pay for an England-wide programme a d reinvest the money saved back into local coverage..