Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mpeg4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Mpeg4

Old 23-01-2018, 23:09   #1
trueblood
cf.member

Services: TV XL Phone M BB XL 200 MB V6 x 2
trueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enough
Mpeg4

Earlier tonight I was fast searching 5HD and it seemed faster than before, so i checked the system info diagnostics and it appears that they have
switched to H.264(Mpeg4) Video. I checked some other channels and BBC 2hd, Universal hd, itvBe hd, Film 4hd and BT Sport 3 have switched also. While this is a good thing I have found the 2x search or 30 sec skip is now too fast !.
trueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2018, 23:38   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Mpeg4

I use subtitles, and the 2x speed allows me to watch a programme in half the time. We seem to have lost 2x speed. It goes from play(1x) to 1x(again) to 6x.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 16:46   #3
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblood View Post
Earlier tonight I was fast searching 5HD and it seemed faster than before, so i checked the system info diagnostics and it appears that they have
switched to H.264(Mpeg4) Video. I checked some other channels and BBC 2hd, Universal hd, itvBe hd, Film 4hd and BT Sport 3 have switched also. While this is a good thing I have found the 2x search or 30 sec skip is now too fast !.
Same here going much quicker than normal.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 17:26   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

It's so fast it's almost as if it's an error in frame handling and counting.
Old 24-01-2018, 17:34   #5
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
It's so fast it's almost as if it's an error in frame handling and counting.
Wait until they swap to H.265, the compression is insane with that codec.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 17:37   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Not sure the DVB-C standards include H.265 yet?
Old 24-01-2018, 17:40   #7
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Not sure the DVB-C standards include H.265 yet?
I wasn't talking about imminently
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 17:49   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Playing back H264 & H265 videos on my PC doesn't have these problems, so it must be fixable.
Old 24-01-2018, 19:02   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Wait until they swap to H.265, the compression is insane with that codec.
Indeed it is

I have x265 (HEVC) copies of many of my TV episodes, and the 1280 x 720 files are smaller than the older 720 x 404 [x264] copies.

(and way smaller than the older xvid format).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 00:31   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

My V6 is unaffected so far. Fast forward was at the usual speed.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 09:34   #11
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Yep, looking at the file sizes on some of this weeks recordings - some channels (BBC1HD) are around 7-8Gb for an hour's HD, others (BBC2 HD) around 2Gb. I'm guessing the 7-8Gb are still MPEG2 currently, perhaps a staggered change maybe.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 11:38   #12
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

This might be helpful:
http://www.en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv...ve=209&lang=en
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 11:58   #13
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Watching KIRI on Channel 4 last night and FFding through the adverts it went much faster than normal. Is this the H264 malarky?
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 12:07   #14
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

It does seem a bit wrong at the moment, pressing the 30sec forward button to 4 minutes to bypass the adverts goes way past 4 minutes, to more like 8 minutes then jumps backwards to correct itself. I hope they sort it out and slow it down a tad.
Old 25-01-2018, 12:08   #15
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
The important piece of info would be the GOP setting.

H264 and H265 are capable of being fast forwarded at a reasonable rate.

Is it a problem of handling the situation where MPEG2 and MPEG4 versions of the channel are available and the decoding settings for MPEG2 are used on MPEG4?