07-10-2015, 21:21
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
|
Wi-fi tips
Any good tips for improving wi-fi connection speed please? I have moved house, and have gone from a wired connection where speedtest was usually recording in the 150's to having to use wi-fi (the superhub has to be next to the TV because no cabling allowed). Main device is an all in one PC which is in an upstairs bedroom and now I'm down to 10-15 on wi-fi. Feeling the difference !
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 21:27
|
#2
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: Wi-fi tips
Powerline adapters?
|
|
|
08-10-2015, 04:17
|
#3
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Wi-fi tips
or a proper router
|
|
|
08-10-2015, 20:29
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
|
Re: Wi-fi tips
If it is a superhub 1 then use a separate router and in any event whichever one you are using, it should be in an elevated position away from from large metal objects and electrical items.
Have a look at this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-WiFi-Reception
|
|
|
08-10-2015, 21:03
|
#5
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: Wi-fi tips
A decent router, but it must be positioned in a good location.
Ideally central with as few floors & walls to penetrate.
Go for dual band as a minimum, and you get what you pay for.
I bought the Asus RT-N66U a few years back and its still going strong and I easily hit 160Mb.
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
09-10-2015, 09:32
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,539
|
Re: Wi-fi tips
I noticed on my new Shub2ac that there are various settings allowing choice of better range and/or speed.
|
|
|
09-10-2015, 18:59
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
|
Re: Wi-fi tips
I think I might be limited as to position? There's only incoming point which is next to the TV as you might imagine
|
|
|
14-10-2015, 10:08
|
#8
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cullercoats
Services: virginmedia through and through
Posts: 26
|
Re: Wi-fi tips
I accept your 'no-cabling' issue, but my cables run round the edge of the room under carpet edges. You may not have carpets of course, but is it possible to run something and hide it behind furniture? My biggest issue is a filing cabinet. I get really good speeds, but my wife's Mac only a few feet away gets about half the speed because of it. We spent ages looking for best 'line of sight' position for the router (and tried powerline connections too with no success as there are all kinds of different circuits in this house) and that's the best we can do.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:44.
|