Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router, dual WAN capability

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router, dual WAN capability

Old 19-09-2015, 18:20   #1
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Router, dual WAN capability

Greetings infidels.

So my situation is as follows:

I require a router that can do load balancing across 2 WAN links, and do this while handling a WAN->LAN throughput of at least 400Mb, ideally 600Mb, and LAN->WAN of 100Mb.

Ridiculous WiFi would be a bonus.

Ethernet WAN ports are fine, as the 'modem' aspect will be handled by other equipment.

I don't have any great desire to build my own router. I prefer using off the shelf equipment as I'm lazy and don't like messing around too much with network equipment at home if I can help it.

Any recommendations other than this beast?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2015, 20:48   #2
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: Router, dual WAN capability

Guten Abend

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/product...78-706724.html

Fits your throughput profile but no funky wireless, in fact no wireless at all.

My company have these in our network services portfolio. They work.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 14:35   #3
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Reluctant as I am to add more Cisco kit to my magnificent 2610 and 2 x 3550 that looks like it'd fit the bill, thank you!
Old 20-09-2015, 16:10   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Also this ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D3ZLNKA/

(Could not find any details of its throughput, probably not has high as you're looking for though)

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:16   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Sadly not.

NAT Throughput 160Mbps
Old 30-09-2015, 08:45   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I may actually need considerably more than 600Mb WAN to LAN and 802.3ad support.

Looks like it'll be my own build. Quite sure I'm into the realms of Enterprise kit otherwise.
Old 30-09-2015, 11:37   #7
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

That throughput is a tall order once you start adding rules.

So if you're building, say around pfsense does this pique your interest?

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fitlet/fitlet-x/
Old 30-09-2015, 14:13   #8
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
That throughput is a tall order once you start adding rules.

So if you're building, say around pfsense does this pique your interest?

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fitlet/fitlet-x/
I have a few options. I will potentially need 1.4Gb/s to avoid bottlenecks which reduces the options but definitely building my own with a couple of 2 port NICs is the way to go.
Old 01-10-2015, 14:19   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

1.4Gb/s for your home connection? Jeebus.

That said, any old laptop with pfSense could do the trick, I have a ten year old device that'll happily do 2Gb/s+ NAT throughput.

USB3 Gigabit adapter for a tenner for the second NIC or ExpressCard if you're anal about USB jitter.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:39   #10
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Selection of dual wan routers here. I get all my kit from here, got a Draytek running at the moment.
Old 03-10-2015, 17:03   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Thank you, though sadly doesn't come close to the performance levels I require.
Old 08-10-2015, 17:32   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

How much money are you willing to spend? The pfSense hardware range is fairly decent but reaches upwards of $500 USD for the good stuff:

http://store.pfsense.org/SG-4860/

However it looks like with all the SPI features on it only manages about 800Mb/s, though potentially much higher - the 2-core 1.7Ghz version hits 600Mbps so I'd expect the 4-core 2.4Ghz to exceed 1.4Gbps if configured right.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 20:58   #13
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

If your going to look at pFsense look at buying a Watchguard box off eBay and putting pFsense on it, cheaper than above.
Old 10-10-2015, 22:16   #14
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
If your going to look at pFsense look at buying a Watchguard box off eBay and putting pFsense on it, cheaper than above.
That'll do nicely. I see an XTM 505 that will do the job admirably.
Old 10-10-2015, 23:13   #15
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Watch out with those boxes dude, those throughput claims are pretty optimistic.