Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | stopping a company from calling?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

stopping a company from calling?

Old 21-05-2012, 15:40   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
stopping a company from calling?

In the last 3 days I have had a withheld number calling me asking for a mr bolan or boland etc

Its an indian accent I have told them already that its the wrong number and they gave me the address I told them it was the wrong address they I live at a different one...so they keep calling about 10x a day starting at 7am and going right through till about 2am

I've told them everytime to stop calling and asked to speak to the manager which results in them hanging up.

Today first time ever they actually called with a number when I tried to ring that number back it said "sorry wrong number"

This is becoming a real pain and I dont want to block withheld numbers as I work for the NHS when I ring home or they need to contact me it automatically withholds the number as they need to push 9 to ring out.

I am sometimes on call with the acute team so may be called in should there be an emergency.

What can VM do to stop these calls if I give them a call
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2012, 17:22   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: stopping a company from calling?

Nothing as the company is calling from outside of the UK, you would get the same response form BT and these companies know this and play on it.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 17:48   #3
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

I find shouting angrily down the phone at persistant wrong numbers usually stops them from calling

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 18:07   #4
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Just say that Mr Bolan died 16 September 1977?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Bolan

I have done this before with other surnames and it seems to stop them?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 21:18   #5
FairyFairy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light

What about the old trick of blowing a whistle ........ they wouldn't be so keen to phone back again!!!!!!!!!!
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 21:21   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyFairy View Post
What about the old trick of blowing a whistle ........ they wouldn't be so keen to phone back again!!!!!!!!!!
Or a foot ball rattle
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 00:38   #7
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Or an app called CallZapper if you have iPhone, iPad or probably iPod

It's great fun too!
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 00:47   #8
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

I'm not sure that this is really helping Gavin78. Seems to be a really genuine cause for distress given that he works for the NHS. If my understanding of "Acute" is correct then it's serious. Does anyone have some sensible suggestions please?
Old 22-05-2012, 02:38   #9
berkut
Inactive

Services: 30Mb BB, XL Phone, XL TV and V+
berkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the rough

Given that the chances are they are calling from abroad there is really only 1 serious option available if you cannot block number withheld and that is to change your telephone number.

Normally if you ask to change numbers I believe you get charged for it, but if you are suffering from nuisance calls they will not charge you.

We suffered from nuisance calls and did not want to change so had to opt for blocking incoming number withheld, but that does not work in all instances. We were offered a number change but chose not to, but that can have its own difficulties as well as you may get a recycled number that someone with bad credit had before you which could mean debt collectors calling you.

There is no easy answer to this unfortunately
berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 09:05   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
I'm not sure that this is really helping Gavin78. Seems to be a really genuine cause for distress given that he works for the NHS. If my understanding of "Acute" is correct then it's serious. Does anyone have some sensible suggestions please?
This will stop them but at a price and it does actually work.

http://www.truecall.co.uk/

Quote:
trueCall is the complete solution to all types of nuisance phone call - telemarketing, silent calls, calls from overseas call centres, fax calls, robocalls, market researchers, malicious calls, misdials, wrong numbers and recorded message calls.

trueCall is about the size of a paperback book. It plugs into your phone line at home and checks every call you receive before letting your phone ring.

Patented technology, designed and developed in the UK!
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 17:31   #11
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Thanks for the help I'm thinking of considering it...I'm going to ring the company on Thursday for some advice about it.
Old 24-05-2012, 10:24   #12
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

how can you block witheld numbers?
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 13:47   #13
Gavin78
Ice Cold

I think with virgin you have to pay for it not much about £1.75 a month or so. you'll have to contact them to add it to your account

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

unless your home phone has the ability built in...mine does I can blacklist numbers I dont like
Old 24-05-2012, 14:06   #14
Rainman
Inactive

Rainman is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have receive calls from what sounds like an indian bloke to say theres some thing wrong with my computer, and I have also tried all the tricks but they still ring back.
It got that bad one day with more than 10 calls so I ask for there number to call them back and they gave me it. When I ring it they did answer and yet still saying my computer will shut down.
I now found this site to report things like this www.actionfraud.org.uk give it ago see if they can help
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 14:29   #15
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I think with virgin you have to pay for it not much about £1.75 a month or so. you'll have to contact them to add it to your account

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

unless your home phone has the ability built in...mine does I can blacklist numbers I dont like
thanks, but £1.75 on top of a all ready heavy bill will give it a miss
blacklist MIL mmmm

jodash is offline   Reply With Quote