Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installation - will they dig the garden up?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Installation - will they dig the garden up?

Old 22-04-2012, 23:22   #1
jreynolds
Inactive

jreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about them
Installation - will they dig the garden up?

Hi there,

I'm getting Virgin TV, broadband and phone installed this week. I stay in a cottage flat where the back garden is mine but not the front (where the road/cable is).

There is a stairway up to the house where I hope the cable can go otherwise I'll need to get permission from the neighbours below me to let Virgin dig in their garden. I'd really rather avoid this if possible!

I phoned Virgin and the woman said the engineer would talk to me when he came out but it could be a waste of time if he needs permission from my neighbour to dig.

Can anyone advise what is likely to happen?

Many thanks for your help!
jreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2012, 18:31   #2
judgey
Inactive

judgey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Installation - will they dig the garden up?

ok yes the Engineers will discuss with you the best way to get the cable from the path to your wall, if they have to go over someone elses property to get to yours then yes they will need permission from the owners.
judgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 19:56   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

have a look at the edge of your property for a little hole/flap, the cable comes fromthere and needs to be routed to your flat. why not ask your neighbour anyway to see if they are ok with that
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 22:15   #4
jreynolds
Inactive

jreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about them

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the replies. It would probably be the quickest thing to ask my neighbours if I can come through their garden (just in case it's required) but I'd really rather avoid that if possible because I doubt they'll be keen on their grass being dug up!

I might just wait until my installation and ask the engineer if they can route the cable up the side of the communal stairway instead. Do you happen to know if it's possible to have the cable above ground or if it really needs to be underground?

I'm not at home tonight but will definitely check for a little/flap like you suggest jb66. Thanks again!
Old 23-04-2012, 22:28   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

They get done overground when there is monoblock driveways etc, tacked along fences
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 22:50   #6
jreynolds
Inactive

Thanks for that info, it's very good to know that it's at least possible to have it done above ground. I'll wait and see what the engineer says on Thursday.

Cheers!