Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Speed Issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Speed Issues

Old 27-03-2012, 19:41   #1
madlewis
Inactive

madlewis is on a distinguished roadmadlewis is on a distinguished road
Wireless Speed Issues

Hi there, today received my new super hub after upgrading from 10mb to 60mb. Set up the super hub and very impressed with speed connection on the ethernet connection (hitting 60mb all the time). Wireless is a different story. I can barely make 20mb. I have a wireless N adapter, the superhub isnt that far away. I have changed channels, reduced speed from 300mbps to 145mbps, used a program to check available channels etc. Ive followed alot of advice on the internet regarding the super hub yet cannot get about 20mb wireless. Ive even sat the computer right next to the hub and its still the same, so distance isnt an issue. Has anyone got any advice on what to do next? Many thanks in advanced
madlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2012, 20:00   #2
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
Re: Wireless Speed Issues

this happens in some areas. in my friends area is even worse, on all wireless channels struggles to get even 10Mb on wireless but max speeds through wired.

Have you tried connecting through the 5GHz band to see if that improves?
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 20:07   #3
madlewis
Inactive

Ye didnt see much of an improvement, and its un-suitable for me as in the house there are 2 iphone 3gs's which dont support the 5Ghz band. Its just so bizarre since upgrading from 10mb to 60mb my wireless has got worse! (have tried old router and new superhub and seem to get same results) yet on wired i hit 60/61 all the time!
Old 27-03-2012, 20:13   #4
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

im guessing you tried inssider to check local wireless networks? are there many?

what i think is happening is there is too much interference which isn't giving you a great speed on wireless which is possibly why your speed was ok on 10Mb but not 60Mb.

Do you have any cordless phones etc?
Old 27-03-2012, 20:22   #5
madlewis
Inactive

Yes i tried inssider, theres a few in the area but luckily they all use lower channels so i selected a higher one and am not overlapping. Ye we have cordless phones but i went around turning things off earlier on that may interfere with no luck. At the moment doing more tests i can just about get to 20mb, but in some cases im getting a lower speed result than on the 10mb connection (getting 8mb)
Old 27-03-2012, 21:41   #6
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Might be worth checking for a driver update for the network adapter.
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 22:52   #7
captainwebb
Inactive

captainwebb is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having similar problems, albeit at 10Mbit. VM sent me a SuperHub aweek ago to cure a cable speed problem, which it did. Wireless has exited via the sewage system.

What's the current version no for SuperHub firmware? Lord alone knows how long it's been since this one was flashed.
captainwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 23:09   #8
Zee
Inactive

@ captainwebb, Current version is R30 (5.5.2R30)

@madlewis, there isn't much i can say except take alex advice about the driver update which may be the issue, but i doubt that, otherwise my best guess is its an area problem with the wireless signals.

Also if nothing else works, you could request a new SH just incase there is an issue with the wireless on the current one.
Old 27-03-2012, 23:14   #9
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwebb View Post
I'm having similar problems, albeit at 10Mbit. VM sent me a SuperHub aweek ago to cure a cable speed problem, which it did. Wireless has exited via the sewage system.

What's the current version no for SuperHub firmware? Lord alone knows how long it's been since this one was flashed.
it doesnt get manually flashed, it gets updated via the network
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 23:52   #10
madlewis
Inactive

To be honest the only issue for me is the low speed on one of my desktop computers. Ive decided im going to run an Ethernet cable to the device, never considered it before as 10mb was okay over wireless but now ive got 60mb i want to get the best i can. The other devices using wireless are just mobile and a single laptop which around 20mb is fine for. Am still going to see if there is anything i can do though as its a shame to not even get half the speed on wireless. Thanks for your help
Old 28-03-2012, 00:20   #11
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlewis View Post
To be honest the only issue for me is the low speed on one of my desktop computers. Ive decided im going to run an Ethernet cable to the device, never considered it before as 10mb was okay over wireless but now ive got 60mb i want to get the best i can. The other devices using wireless are just mobile and a single laptop which around 20mb is fine for. Am still going to see if there is anything i can do though as its a shame to not even get half the speed on wireless. Thanks for your help

if you're getting double speeds on other computers, i'd take the advice the upgrade the wireless driver for your system.
Old 28-03-2012, 00:25   #12
madlewis
Inactive

Oh no sorry said it a bit confusing. All wireless devices in the house max out about 20mb, only now am i getting near 30mb. Its only devices that are directly wired into the modem that get a constant 60mb.
Old 28-03-2012, 00:47   #13
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlewis View Post
Oh no sorry said it a bit confusing. All wireless devices in the house max out about 20mb, only now am i getting near 30mb. Its only devices that are directly wired into the modem that get a constant 60mb.
i see. which makes me believe more and more its wireless interference. as people turn off their wireless devices like their routers at night, the speed may increase slightly.
Old 28-03-2012, 01:13   #14
madlewis
Inactive

Ye thats what i thought, after running inssider again i noticed one or two networks were offline meaning there was a massive channel gap between my network and the ones online. Will have to do more checking and channel changing tomorrow when the networks are online to get a better picture.