Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Computer numpty, slow connection.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Computer numpty, slow connection.

Old 29-10-2011, 16:36   #1
GingerS1
Inactive

GingerS1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Computer numpty, slow connection.

Hi all, as the title says really, I'd appreciate your opinions and help on this as quite frankly I have no idea when it comes to computers....

Yesterday I had VM fit my broadband and phone package, I was previously with sky but their customer service was so shocking during a house move that I decided to change, the package I now have is 50mb broadband (fibre optic wire thing) and a phone line.

I have downloaded a speed test iPad app and the best I have seen so far is;
Ping. 46ms
Upload. 4.58mbps
Download. 19.54mbps

Is this the norm? Or is there something I can do to improve things?

Many thanks
Simon.
GingerS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2011, 16:45   #2
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: Computer numpty, slow connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerS1 View Post
Hi all, as the title says really, I'd appreciate your opinions and help on this as quite frankly I have no idea when it comes to computers....

Yesterday I had VM fit my broadband and phone package, I was previously with sky but their customer service was so shocking during a house move that I decided to change, the package I now have is 50mb broadband (fibre optic wire thing) and a phone line.

I have downloaded a speed test iPad app and the best I have seen so far is;
Ping. 46ms
Upload. 4.58mbps
Download. 19.54mbps

Is this the norm? Or is there something I can do to improve things?

Many thanks
Simon.
With the I-pad App I take it you are testing over WI-FI? Have you tried either WWW.SPEEDTEST.NET or http://www.speed.io/index_en.html From the PC to see what speeds you get.
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 16:57   #3
GingerS1
Inactive

Hi,
It's the 'speedtest' app I'm using over the wifi. Do I need to use a laptop and Ethernet cable?

Thanks!
Old 29-10-2011, 17:18   #4
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

I for one are the same as you not very technically minded but from what I have read on here you will get slower speeds over wi-fi. Is the modem and router connected to a home PC?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 17:44   #5
GingerS1
Inactive

It's not, I'm using a virgin super router and everything is wireless to that, so I'll just plug my laptop straight into that.

20mb is far better than I ever had with sky so I'm happy, its just a case of why pay for 50mb when virgins 30mb package will do if I can only get 20mbs!

Cheers.
Old 29-10-2011, 20:52   #6
GingerS1
Inactive

Hmm..... Have just run a wifi test again and got 0.16mbps download speed! I realise 9pm on a Saturday night there will be a lot of people using the servers, but for a 50mb service 0.16 is outrageous!