Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Downgrading from 30mb to 10mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Downgrading from 30mb to 10mb

Old 17-10-2011, 21:00   #1
doog442
Inactive

doog442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Downgrading from 30mb to 10mb

I am paying £37 for 30mb broadband mainly because my son was using this for online gaming etc.

My son has left home and as I am only interested in surfing the net (I dont download anything) if I was to go back to the basic 10mb would I notice a difference in the average internet speed (ie opening pages etc) rather than downloading or online games.

I could do with not having to pay so much for the internet to be honest.

In addition does anyone have any idea of the price of the lowest speed package for an existing customer?

I also have the superhub...am I contracted to that thing? (it keeps crashing)

cheers
doog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2011, 21:09   #2
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
Re: Downgrading from 30mb to 10mb

I'm on 50 and want to go back to 10, the super? hub is rubbish and yup crashes all the time
As for your first question, 10 is far more than what you need and TBH more than is needed for gaming
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 21:19   #3
doog442
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
I'm on 50 and want to go back to 10, the super? hub is rubbish and yup crashes all the time
As for your first question, 10 is far more than what you need and TBH more than is needed for gaming
cheers, have just rang customer services and have been told I would only save £5.99 a month. Have also been told I am contracted in with the broadband until next February.

I have been advised to call back tomorrow to speak with some other customer services.
Old 17-10-2011, 21:31   #4
marky
Inactive

marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

I'm sure I pay £35 for 50mbps ?
Then again they have loads of charges on top
Old 17-10-2011, 21:33   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Your not paying £37, re-read the bill including discounts
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 21:39   #6
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

You should be paying £28.50 for 30mb broadband without a phone line or £18.50 with a phone line
10mb broadband is £21 without a phone line or £13.50 with a phone line
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 21:40   #7
marky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Boy View Post
You should be paying £28.50 for 30mb broadband without a phone line or £18.50 with a phone line
+ charges if its not DD
Old 17-10-2011, 22:25   #8
doog442
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Your not paying £37, re-read the bill including discounts
Can you translate ?? Its all Greek to me . How much is my broadband and what exactly does the discount apply to? Can you blame people for being confused?

Telephone Line Rental 25 May - 24 June £12.99
Talk International 25 May - 24 June £1.75
Talk Mobile 25 May - 24 June £1.75
Talk Unlimited 25 May - 24 June £8.00
Phone, Broadband XL & TV Saving 25 May - 24 June -£18.50
M+ (Starter) 25 May - 24 June £6.50
1 Additional V Box 25 May - 24 June £15.00
V+ HD Monthly Fee 25 May - 24 June £5.00
Add Set Box(es) Discount 25 May - 24 June -£8.50
Broadband XL(30) 25 May - 24 June £37.00
Old 17-10-2011, 23:01   #9
marky
Inactive

I'll pass
Old 17-10-2011, 23:02   #10
doog442
Inactive

Why dont they just say the internet is £18.50 instead of £37 without clarifying the £18.50 discount ?

so we have

Phone plus extras = £24.49
TV £6.50
V Boxes £11.50
Broadband £18.50

That sounds more reasonable but I still need to make cuts, freeview plus a basic internet and phone package from BT I think may be the route.

thanks chaps
Old 17-10-2011, 23:07   #11
marky
Inactive

Its like a Tesco shopping list, they charge in full then take the savings off so you think you are saving money, I would prefer honest charges.
Old 18-10-2011, 08:02   #12
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Not about being honest, different packages get different discounts.

As for 10Mb, I don't believe we provision this any more.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 08:08   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I install 10meg all the time, you can get broadband with no tv or phone line for £21. Good if you have mobile contract
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 09:27   #14
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
As for 10Mb, I don't believe we provision this any more.
That'll be news for the ~ 90% of VM customers on 10Mbps and the website designers who offer it as an option on the VM website.

£21 for 10Mbps broadband is a good proposition as ADSL requires a BT phone line too so any saving would be quite small. If you need a landline it's only a little more but the call charges are high so if you actually use it to make many calls VOIP offers lower charges.

I pay £35 for 50Mbps with no phone and until recently when congestion srewed up my area considered that a good deal too.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 10:17   #15
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
That'll be news for the ~ 90% of VM customers on 10Mbps and the website designers who offer it as an option on the VM website.

£21 for 10Mbps broadband is a good proposition as ADSL requires a BT phone line too so any saving would be quite small. If you need a landline it's only a little more but the call charges are high so if you actually use it to make many calls VOIP offers lower charges.

I pay £35 for 50Mbps with no phone and until recently when congestion srewed up my area considered that a good deal too.
Why would the people on it care?

I thought 20 was the lowest ..I never see anyone on 10 these days ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote