Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Intermittent connection to Router with Win 7

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Intermittent connection to Router with Win 7

Old 04-09-2011, 23:16   #1
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts
Intermittent connection to Router with Win 7

Scenario is this; home network with D-Link DIR655 router, two desktops and one laptop all running Windows 7 Home premium.

Occasionally, when a PC boot up, there is no internet connection and running the diagnostics says that the DNS server (ie the router) isn't working but i know it is as the other PCs on the network are working fine.

This can happen at random to any of the PCs and the only solution I have so far is to turn off the offending PC and turn it back on again.

It appears from www posts to be a problem with Win7 but no MS solution unless anyone knows better?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2011, 23:25   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Intermittent connection to Router with Win 7

try make it happen again and do this,

start > type CMD - right click run a admin > in command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns > press enter.

does the device disconnect from the router properly or do you just power down or put it to sleep.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41   #3
progers
Pete

progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Thanks for the reply; I have tried all the solutions on the microsoft website including flushing DNS cache, reloadin TCP/IP stack and the only thing that seems to work is a reboot.

Just had to reboot three times to get network access; was just writing this reply on my laptop when the main PC worked on the fourth attempt - not usually that bad!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post

Occasionally, when a PC boot up, there is no internet connection and running the diagnostics says that the DNS server (ie the router) isn't working but i know it is as the other PCs on the network are working fine.

This can happen at random to any of the PCs and the only solution I have so far is to turn off the offending PC and turn it back on again.
I have had this happen with Win 7, one trouble with the diagnostics is they sometimes say things that are rubbish. As with the example above as if you have no internet access how can you expect to have access to the DNS servers?

I think I got away with just disabling the interface on the PC and re-enabling it but I wouldn't swear to it
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 17:40   #5
progers
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I have had this happen with Win 7, one trouble with the diagnostics is they sometimes say things that are rubbish. As with the example above as if you have no internet access how can you expect to have access to the DNS servers?

I think I got away with just disabling the interface on the PC and re-enabling it but I wouldn't swear to it
Thanks for reply arcimedes, tried that too (one of MS solutions) and it doesn't work
Old 09-09-2011, 14:44   #6
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I have just had to reboot my PC as the fault happened when I switched it on. Interestingly it decided it was a new network but wouldnt connect to shub (in modem mode). Foolishly I rebooted the shub first but that made no difference but my phone could connect OK.

I disabled the interace (wifi) and re-enabled to no effect so I then rebooted the PC and all came back to life. It has also gone back to the original network name???
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 15:04   #7
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

dumb question seeing as you've pulled your hair out with this but have you updated the router firmware and set it up correctly?

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 22:44   #8
progers
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
dumb question seeing as you've pulled your hair out with this but have you updated the router firmware and set it up correctly?

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx
yep, ran the MS tool and passed with flying colours