Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems

Old 02-09-2011, 00:12   #1
nervex
Inactive

nervex is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems

Hi, I posted ages ago about some problems that I was having with my internet being intermittant.

That finally got solved after a lot of engineers and poking around with the cabinet. It has been perfect for over a month now.

Just yesterday (Wednesday) my neighbours got Virgin, and what a coincidence - one day later, my net has disconnected with an upstream power of 58.2/61

Right now it keeps dropping in and out and is very, very slow when it does connect. Its taken me ages just to get here. However this time I found the Event Log on the superhub, which is getting rapidly filled with these messages:

Lost MDD Timeout;
MDD message timeout;
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC

---------- Post added at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

+This is making me quite worried as I am due to be upgraded to 100mb next friday [sorry for double post, got to be quick - dont know how long it will stay connected this time]
nervex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2011, 00:25   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Problems

your last thread > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...ant-cable.html

you need to get hold of Dan Bayliss the project manger to get it sorted ASAP. post up on the community addressing it to Dan Bayliss the project manager in the title.

In fact send an email to the CEO at VM,

Code:
neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk
state whats up and ask him to forward it to Dan Bayliss.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:02   #3
nervex
Inactive

id like to post there immeddiatley if if will get me somewhere, however i have had to resort tousing my phone again as its completely dead right now. will have towait and see if it starts working again

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:34 ----------

managed to stay connected long enough to send an email. Hope for a swifty response but usually not the case with these things. :/
Old 02-09-2011, 01:16   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

VM's seniors are extremely good to work with. You should have your areas senior engineer at the cabinet tomorrow, you can slaughter my rep if nothing at all happens by means of a reply etc.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:26   #5
nervex
Inactive

Your confidence is inspiring. I hope I can join you with it at some time tomorrow!

I will get some sleep in the hope that it stabilizes by 9am as thats when I roll out of bed and have to start work (web developing from home without web is kinda hard!).
Old 02-09-2011, 09:53   #6
nervex
Inactive

Looks like it was on and off throughout the night (I left TeamSpeak3 open with Auto Reconnect on so I could check it).

Looks to have come back on proper at 7 am (was playing up since 11.30), but the upstream power is 57.2 so I'm thinking it will continue to dropout at some point like it did previously
Old 02-09-2011, 18:43   #7
nervex
Inactive

I got a call from the office saying that it was passed on to someone more technical.

After it came back on at 7am, the upstream slowly dropped back down, It got down to 51.7 I think (over several hours) but I just checked it again and its at 58.2.

I'll be surprised if it stays connected.
Old 02-09-2011, 18:49   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quite simple really, you need a technician.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 18:59   #9
nervex
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Quite simple really, you need a technician.
Last time this happened, technicians couldn't do anything about it. Theres something wrong with the cabinet and I don't want this to recur.
Old 02-09-2011, 19:05   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervex View Post
Last time this happened, technicians couldn't do anything about it. Theres something wrong with the cabinet and I don't want this to recur.
I guess due to the upstream saying 58.2 that when it is working you have 4 downstreams which means you are on a Motorola CMTS and that high a level is as high as it will show and it needs an engineer.

It may be the drop cable from your property that needs replacing or it needs raising to Networks for resolution.

Every single cabinet on the network are in the process of being replaced as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 19:16   #11
nervex
Inactive

Quote:
I guess due to the upstream saying 58.2 that when it is working you have 4 downstreams which means you are on a Motorola CMTS and that high a level is as high as it will show and it needs an engineer.

It may be the drop cable from your property that needs replacing or it needs raising to Networks for resolution.

Every single cabinet on the network are in the process of being replaced as well.
Apologies.. I'll add some context

The cabinet here is brand new. It's a new-build housing estate which isn't completed yet. So also the cables are brand new.

Previously, they have:
Replaced modem with superhub
Replaced internal cables
Replaced Isolater (twice i think?)
Replaced splitter
Checked levels at the cable point inside and outside the house (Luckily, at a time when it wasn't working).
Replaced tap-plate in the cabinet

They were about to replace the amplifier but came back after a while and said they'd re-configured it somehow (I don't know details) and it was fine for .. probably about 2 months.

I had about 7 visits last time checking everything, replacing equipment. It took network and a principle tech a couple of visits to the cabinet to get it looking anything like it should. The problem I have now is exactly the same as before, so please forgive me [edit: not] for wanting a simple visit which would probably be a waste of time..

Also, Last time the principle tech said someone else on the street was having problems so I am tempted to go and check with them.
Old 02-09-2011, 21:29   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

It would not be a simple visit if they were being asked to check and replace the drop cable but it does depend on the agent you get though.
Old 02-09-2011, 22:10   #13
nervex
Inactive

Quote:
It would not be a simple visit if they were being asked to check and replace the drop cable but it does depend on the agent you get though.
I just hope that I don't have to spend weeks starting from scratch with loads of engineers etc, I'd rather just type out the scenario here than go through all that hassle again. We covered most of the troubleshooting in a couple hours instead of several weeks worth of failed engineer visits etc.

Thanks for trying to help though
Old 02-09-2011, 22:20   #14
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: Problems

With the upstream getting high it could be noise .When your upstream gets high the snr gets lower so the modem has to shout over the noise .This can be cuased by bits of the network being old and reacting with each other or some has been doing a spot of DIY cable installing .The last few weeks we have had a couple of these caused but somone using 1 electrical chop blocks to join coax 1 he had terrible speeds and 2 he was putting noise on the network .Your cab may be new but it could be linked to a older part of the network sometimes these faults are not always there for us to find .We have to watch the network and wait then go out and sort it .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 23:56   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

It could be all of those big faults......Orrrrrrrrr, your neighbour got put on the top powered tap and you got moved down
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote