Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 30MB to 50MB is an engineer visit really necessary

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

30MB to 50MB is an engineer visit really necessary

Old 19-08-2011, 15:28   #1
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough
30MB to 50MB is an engineer visit really necessary

I am thinking of upgrading to 50MB have a superhub Can virgin media just send the config file down to it or do I have to wait around for an engineer.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2011, 15:56   #2
*sloman*
Inactive

Services: 100MB, M Phone and XL TV (1x Tivo, 1x Samsung V+)
*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough
Re: 30MB to 50MB is an engineer visit really necessary

they can but wont.

When i went to 50 to 100 bloke came round change vmg to superhub [Mod edit] did speed test and pee'd off, left me with 5mb upload i had to reboot superhub [Mod edit]a few times and speak to 100mb team to get it sorted.

[Mod edit - unnecessary comment removed]
*sloman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 17:07   #3
punkrock101
cf.addict

punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

Well called them up and managed to get someone in customer services to upgrade my broadband to 50MB and all that needed to be done was me to reboot superhub [Mod Edit]. Happy days
Old 19-08-2011, 20:54   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I love those jobs, hand a dongle to the customer force the configuration file, speediest then get out the house b4 they try the superhub wifi
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 21:08   #5
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I love those jobs, hand a dongle to the customer force the configuration file, speediest then get out the house b4 they try the superhub wifi
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 22:02   #6
punkrock101
cf.addict

Quote:
And virgin media charges £40 for that lol noticed that we are not allowed to say anything bad about the superhub.
Old 19-08-2011, 22:24   #7
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Why, there's nowt wrong with the wi-fi on the superhub

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 23:46   #8
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Force the config file ?
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 07:24   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Nice to see professionalism and customer service in action........
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 11:01   #10
Robertus
cf.addict

Robertus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Indeed. Hopefully they don't have many like jb66. I've been nothing short of amazed with his posts on here.
Robertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 11:19   #11
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertus View Post
Indeed. Hopefully they don't have many like jb66. I've been nothing short of amazed with his posts on here.
Not the most positive of posters, but you have to remember he's posting his opinions, that's not to say he's not completely professional at work ..

A bad tech is normally the easiest person to find, as customers are very strict about who comes into their house, they will report it if they don't like him ..
Old 20-08-2011, 14:20   #12
Nicosia
Inactive

Nicosia is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the 30 to 50 jump you could do online? because i was told the same for the 30 to 50 jump but the scottish lady on the phone today told me they send you the hub and you do it yourself the 20 to 30 jump so maybe they will do the same also for the 30 to 50? but you use the same superhub if i understand correctly on the 30 and 50 connection and everything the same so i would nto see the need for an engineer also? to make sure you get full 50mbit?
Nicosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 17:33   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
And virgin media charges £40 for that lol noticed that we are not allowed to say anything bad about the superhub.
Yup its policy to call the hub a superhub,

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
There was a time when we provided a d-link router i'd take pleasure in showing off our wifi services to the customer, which isnt part of the install as virgin doesn't guarantee wifi speeds. Doing a wifi test now causes nothing but pain as the customer expects me to fix it which I cant.

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertus View Post
Hey, least I hand out a dongle

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicosia View Post
I thought the 30 to 50 jump you could do online? because i was told the same for the 30 to 50 jump but the scottish lady on the phone today told me they send you the hub and you do it yourself the 20 to 30 jump so maybe they will do the same also for the 30 to 50? but you use the same superhub if i understand correctly on the 30 and 50 connection and everything the same so i would nto see the need for an engineer also? to make sure you get full 50mbit?
IMO it would make more sense for virgin to do it over the phone (is this not the point of the supehub) and if it doesnt work then send out a tech, but 30 to 50 should be a tech visit
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 18:31   #14
Nicosia
Inactive

Nicosia is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
IMO it would make more sense for virgin to do it over the phone (is this not the point of the supehub) and if it doesnt work then send out a tech, but 30 to 50 should be a tech visit
well i agree because not every one will achieve the full speeds or manage to set it up and will need a tech there and also does the tech not have to change something on the green box or do something that you cant do on your own when you go to 50mbit?

But from 20 to 30 they just send you the hub to do it yourself, its not like its hard or anything but i thought the 30 and the 50mbit connections are the same to set up and use the same hub and equipment? so really you should be able to do it yourself just plug in the hub and ring and register the mac adress.. simples plus it costs vm more to send out the techs to install upgrades for every house i figured was the only reaosn they are sending me the hub instead of sending a tech guy because i read here even the jump from 20 to 30 you would need a tech guy to come and install it
Nicosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 22:58   #15
Nopanic
Inactive

Quote:

Why for 30 - 50 ?

20 - 30 is more logical, D2 to D3 .. if you can lock for 30, you've a good chance of locking for 50 .. or 100 ..