Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | News servers problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

News servers problem

Old 24-07-2011, 18:08   #1
bandit2329
Inactive

bandit2329 is an unknown quantity at this point
News servers problem

Hi first post ive been having problems with vm news servers been using over 2yrs now no problems at all then friday very slow telling me 5 days to download 4.3Gb file. When it normally takes 20- 35mins contacted vm and my download speeds are fine not sure if they are messing with there servers i know they have a problem with my vigin media heres the code F001676675 on there service status site but would this affect the news servers .
bandit2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-07-2011, 18:34   #2
big_dirk
Inactive

big_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enough
Re: News servers problem

I think i'm having the same as you, I tried Friday for the first time in a while and I was getting really odd variable speeds, but all converging to 0Kb/s

I just got about 10 mins of 1.2Mb/s (I'm on 20Mb VM) then it dropped off to 0, then I've done nothing to assist it and it shot back up. I can't tell whether it's VM or my newsprovider though (Im with Blocknews.net) as I don't know how I could test anything to download over http for example, also I don't know if I've reached that stupid cap yet. I normally always saturate my 20Mb until the cap hits then I get the max I should get under the capping rules.
big_dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 19:24   #3
bandit2329
Inactive

Hi thanks for reply it does seem they are having problems then im getting the same problem droping off to 0Kb/s
Old 01-08-2011, 22:18   #4
bandit2329
Inactive

Hi all my problems vanished this morning around 6AM i think someone at vm may have took notice as on was on the phone all weekend to them.
Old 02-08-2011, 20:08   #5
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of

Throtting, aka STM. VM's servers are pathetic anyway. Try Astraweb and open at least 16 connections to them.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 21:05   #6
big_dirk
Inactive

big_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enough

Just thought I'd update. Carried on getting variable service on Blocknews (port 443, 4443 etc) I moved to another provider and using port 80 and its better.
big_dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:39   #7
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

if you try to download during peak hours from usenet Virgin strangle the bandwidth - sometimes to virtually zero.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 16:36   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, I only ever get 120k or so during peak hours so i dont even bother. I try to do all my download between 2100-1500. That being said though, I have been having the problem the op mentioned for the last 2 years or so now, my downloads will blast away at a solid 6mb/sec, then hit 0 for 30secs-1min and then fly off again
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote