Locating downloaded track sources
23-07-2011, 12:30
|
#1
|
|
RIP Tigger - 13 years?!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bolton
Age: 60
Services: BT Superfast Broadband
Posts: 1,858
|
Locating downloaded track sources
- i.e. how do you find out where you downloaded a track from, if you've forgotten because you've had the track so long? I'm speaking here of legally downloaded tracks in .WMA format. WMP11 is bitching about DRM problems and usage rights, though as far as I know the licenses are still current. Mind you, it's refusing to play some unprotected tracks on the same basis!
Is it any wonder people are ripping 'em off left, right and centre, when even legally obtained tracks cause problems?!
__________________
"People tend to confuse the words 'new' and 'improved'."
- Agent Phil Coulson, S.H.I.E.L.D.
WINDOWS 11/UK 'GOVERNMENT', ANYONE?!
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 15:34
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,539
|
Re: Locating downloaded track sources
Can you right click the track(s) and read anything in properties?
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 15:55
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Locating downloaded track sources
Right click >>properties >>details.. if not in there then I doubt if it'll be anywhere else
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 12:38
|
#4
|
|
RIP Tigger - 13 years?!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bolton
Age: 60
Services: BT Superfast Broadband
Posts: 1,858
|
Re: Locating downloaded track sources
For a variety of reasons I don't have a computer at the moment; I'm limited at present to the computers (running XP) at the library...and they've done something incredibly stupid: they've disabled right-click! I mean, why? Come to that, how? I didn't even know you could do that; it isn't something any rational user would ever do, is it?!
I've just tried to copy files over to the new player - a Sandisk Sansa Fuze 4GB - and WMP will not copy protected files to it. Every time it gets to one, it comes up with:
Cannot copy <track>: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.
The only options given are Skip, Skip All or Cancel. Windows Explorer, unsurprisingly, says the same. These are legally downloaded tracks. What the hell is its problem?!
As an aside, something else they've done utterly boggles the mind: the AV software - Sophos - said there was a trojan on my USB stick. Okay, fair enough. But it wouldn't actually do anything - the users don't have sufficient rights! Now is it just me, or is that crazy? What the hell's the point of having AV software if it doesn't actually work?! I had to go to my sister's place and borrow her computer, which is running Norton and destroyed the offending files quite happily. I think I'll try to copy the protected files there, too; hers is running Vista, and is properly set up...I know that because I set it up!
I think I'll try the Sandisk website, too. This is so annoying - I got the damn thing because according to the Amazon review it could handle protected .WMA files. Maybe it's just WMP11 throwing a wobbler...hardly unusual.
__________________
"People tend to confuse the words 'new' and 'improved'."
- Agent Phil Coulson, S.H.I.E.L.D.
WINDOWS 11/UK 'GOVERNMENT', ANYONE?!
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 12:45
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Locating downloaded track sources
ALT+Double left click will also open properties
Remember that Mice originally came with just one button so there's always a legacy shortcut to bypass the right click.
Here's a list of all available windows shortcuts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 12:48
|
#6
|
|
RIP Tigger - 13 years?!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bolton
Age: 60
Services: BT Superfast Broadband
Posts: 1,858
|
Re: Locating downloaded track sources
So it does! Ta muchly!
__________________
"People tend to confuse the words 'new' and 'improved'."
- Agent Phil Coulson, S.H.I.E.L.D.
WINDOWS 11/UK 'GOVERNMENT', ANYONE?!
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 14:57
|
#7
|
|
RIP Tigger - 13 years?!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bolton
Age: 60
Services: BT Superfast Broadband
Posts: 1,858
|
Re: Locating downloaded track sources
Though it didn't help; apparently source info isn't recorded when the track's downloaded. So I've decided to try a couple of legal DRM removal apps; I've copied the tracks in question to a USB stick from the music player I originally downloaded them onto, so the original tracks won't be affected...i.e. if all else fails I can still play 'em on the Samsung YP-U2. Here's hoping the music quality won't be affected.
I just wish I could remember where I got the tracks originally, but I've had some of them for at least 5 years. I could, of course, download MP3, i.e. unprotected, versions - but dammit, I've paid for 'em once already! I refuse to do so again! Death to DRM!!!
__________________
"People tend to confuse the words 'new' and 'improved'."
- Agent Phil Coulson, S.H.I.E.L.D.
WINDOWS 11/UK 'GOVERNMENT', ANYONE?!
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:02.
|