Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Entertaining kids in the car

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Entertaining kids in the car

Old 24-06-2011, 18:32   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Entertaining kids in the car

I'm soon going to be taking my sister kids (boy 7 & girl 10) on holiday and there will be a 2 hour car journey.

Can anybody recommend activities to do while in the car.

I googled Car bingo but could find US sites.

I'm looking for things that I can print out and give to them on the journey.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 24-06-2011, 18:33   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Entertaining kids in the car

Duct tape normally helps. Though not quite entertaining for the kids, but at least it'll be quiet.
Old 24-06-2011, 18:36   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Hard to say really - it depends on how often they go on long journeys, what length of time they consider to be 'long' and what activities they're used to.

A car journey isn't the place to get into a battle of wills over what activities they will do, so be careful you don't prepare a pile of stuff and then get into a wrangle over whether they actually want to do it or not.

Does your sister have an in-car DVD? More particularly, one that can be removed from her car and slung between your own seats for them to watch? If she does, and that's what they're used to, then you may simply have to let them have that. It's easier than dealing with moaning.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 18:46   #4
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I'm soon going to be taking my sister kids on holiday and there will be a 2 hour car journey.

Can anybody recommend activities to do while in the car.

I googled Car bingo but could find US sites.

I'm looking for things that I can print out and give to them on the journey.

Any help will be appreciated.
You missed out one vital point?

How old are they, So that we will be able to give out games that are age applicable?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 18:47   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

They've been on journeys from Essex to Devon, as well a plane journeys.

Many years ago when my sister and I were their age (7 & 10) we had a car bingo.

My niece bought herself a portable DVD player, I guess they could use that (with headphones), but my nephew sometimes gets travel sick. So if they are looking out of the car it might me better.

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Duct tape normally helps. Though not quite entertaining for the kids, but at least it'll be quiet.
I tried it once, and ONLY once
Old 24-06-2011, 19:05   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

The title is erroneous. Children are never entertaining in cars..
Old 24-06-2011, 19:24   #7
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

My 9 year old daughter suffers from car sickness so reading type activities are out.

She doesn't have a problem when she watches DVDs or plays her nintendo ds. I assume it's something to do with the eye movement.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 19:36   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

How about these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...rney&x=16&y=18

or these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/r...s+for+children
Old 24-06-2011, 19:57   #9
Scary
Inactive

Services: Size XL 120mg BB Tivo box v+ box
Scary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of society

give them a grenade and run
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 21:55   #10
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Spot Eddie?
Old 24-06-2011, 21:58   #11
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Spot Eddie?
No, it's just a birthmark Fred
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 22:28   #12
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

playing the car numberplate games is good. See who can get the lowest number i.e. you have to be looking for something like v12 pny or m3 ntl obviously if anyone gets a 1 then its its "game over man" ( sorry... been watching aliens)
AND it doesn't cost a penny
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 09:56   #13
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

The A-Z game.

You pick a subject, lets say "Food" for instance and each take it in turn going through the alphabet. Then pick another subject and start again.

So the first person might say "Apple" then the second person might say "Beatroot", then the third person might say "Carotte".

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 10:03   #14
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Then the fourth person says "I'm bored of this game. it's stupid"

Just make them run around for a while before you put them in the car. they'll be tired and will sleep all the way there.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote