Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Thats me, I`m off to Sky.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Thats me, I`m off to Sky.

Old 23-06-2011, 22:52   #1
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
Thats me, I`m off to Sky.

The last 5 months have been hell. Every night my V+ box downloads new software about 1am. Box freezes. Every time it happens when I`m fast forwarding a programme. Then I have to wait till the damned box settles down, & re start the programme. Virgin knows about the issue, no cure on the horizon at all. Had 3 new boxes & none will record whilst a program is paused, my box is full of "Failed" recordings.

My 10 meg broadband used to stable at 5.5 meg, never had much more. Over the last few months, between 4 & 11pm, I`m lucky if I can even log on. "Time out" messages & a speed of .4 meg. Virgin finally admitted they were using "Traffic management" to give everyone a fair share.

So much for 10 meg. Then, when I phone disconnections, they tell me that Sky will not exceed 2 meg, no matter what, utter bull crap. My 4 neighbours, all get between 7 & 18 meg, on sky.

So, a call to sky got me: 8 to 10 meg broadband, unlimited downloads. Free line rental for 12 months with free evening & weekend calls.
Sky + with HD, full entertainment pack, no installation costs, no extras.
All for the sum of £31.75 a month, 12 month contract.

I have come to the opinion that all Branson does, is stick his "Virgin" name on someone else's product, & charge extra for it.

My broadband is now far better & faster, TV is light years ahead of the V+ freezer box, & I get all the channels Virgin charge extra on their XL pack.

Virgin admit they can not compete & their price would be about £15 dearer. If I`m going to be throttled & choked, I don't see why I should pay more for it.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2011, 22:55   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Thats me, I`m off to Sky.

Well let us know how it works out..and you will pop back in and see us even when you switch?
Old 23-06-2011, 23:14   #3
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

Of course Maggy, & if Sky dont live up to their promises, I will let everyone know!
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 23:48   #4
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

I wouldn't advise it, my parents are 6 weeks into their sky 3 month introductory trial and the sagemcom modem sky are supplying currently hasn't managed to stay working for more than 5 consecutive minutes. Sky also won't provide you the details so you can use your own kit, and reserve the right to disconnect you if you try. They also don't give you your username or password you would have to hack their modem to retrieve it. Looking at sky's own forums there's over 1500 posts on the matter and no current sign of resolution.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 23:59   #5
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HDx4,Skyworld+Multiroom. VM 50Mb
Charliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathers

If you were on the 10Mb line you wont really lose out by going to skyBB, But if you can only get Sky connect than you maybe better off sticking to Virgin.

I know someone with Sky connect and its crap., I also know a few with SkyLLU and its pretty good and they seem to get around 12Mb-18Mb for £7.50 a month.
Charliedontsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 06:42   #6
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Wait till you see sky at peak times then. Their tv setup is superior but the broadband is a disaster. See below the different deals people get for different situations, chances are VM will ring you back and offer you a better deal. Th question is how much is your sky bill going to be after the discounts wear off. Mine started at £60pm and as you can see below...doubled

My sky setup.

SKY + HD
Movies
Sports
Entertainment

2meg broadband
Phone line

£120 a month

Current setup after a phonecall.

2x V+HD boxes
50mb broadband
All available channels
Phone line
500 minute sim card.

£100

Quote:
They also don't give you your username or password
Assuming you were talking about the router... the username is Admin and the password is Sky
Old 24-06-2011, 07:48   #7
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

No, I mean for configuring your own router rather than the shiny black sagemcom doorstop they give you. Incidentally admin and sky are all lower case Sky refuse to let the customer bring their own hardware, so you are forced to use their equipment which even they are struggling to make work, support is a joke. Even VM at their worst aren't as bad as sky are currently. It's taken 6 weeks so far to get to the point my parents are at currently with Sky, that point being waiting for tier 2 to get in touch and waiting for network services to try to push a firmware update to a router that doesn't actually stay online long enough to receive a firmware update. However they won't send out a new router without being paid for one.

I now have to wait 'between 48 and 72 hours' for a callback from sky tier 2 regarding this, though apparently they are currently a couple of days behind, so anything up to a week before I can even find out if they will consider replacing a faulty router.

In the interim my parents haven't been able to access the internet for more than 5 consecutive minutes since the 5th of may.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 07:56   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Some people will think they going to be better off with Sky but as far as l am concerned l will never go to them or as the old saying says better the devil you know then the devil you don't know.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 07:58   #9
pgnl
Inactive

Services: VM BB (Since Jan 2001) Hub 3.0/Modem Mode, WDTV, Roku, FireTV, Apple TV 4
pgnl is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had VM/Telewest BB for around ten years, Sky has just been enabled at our local exchange so I thought I would switch phone from BT to Sky as well, so in real terms it's costing me less than £7.50pm extra compared to what I was paying in line rental and all calls to BT. Plus at the moment, the first three months are free.

I am on VM Broadband large so 10mb and really hate their STM policy. Sky is totally unlimited I get around 11mb (this varies according to how far you are from the phone exchange, you may need to make some phone wiring changes and do some research). In the four weeks I've had it, it's been rock solid and I've downloaded loads at peak times.

I am not sure I will get rid of VM just yet, but as an internet addict £7.50pm is not too much extra to pay for totally unlimited.

By the way I have found the Sky Sagemcom 2304 with latest firmware fine, although I have switched off the wireless and use home plugs. You are supposedly locked to their router though, although some do use other ones, its against Sky's T&C's.

I am pretty happy with it to be honest.

Patrick
pgnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:15   #10
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Charliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathersCharliedontsurf has ruffled too many feathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Wait till you see sky at peak times then. Their tv setup is superior but the broadband is a disaster. See below the different deals people get for different situations, chances are VM will ring you back and offer you a better deal. Th question is how much is your sky bill going to be after the discounts wear off. Mine started at £60pm and as you can see below...doubled

My sky setup.

SKY + HD
Movies
Sports
Entertainment

2meg broadband
Phone line

£120 a month

That a lie isn't it......

Skyworld+HD is £62 so no way were you paying SKY £58 just for your phone line and broadband to make a total of £120.
Old 24-06-2011, 08:24   #11
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedontsurf View Post
That a lie isn't it......

Skyworld+HD is £62 so no way were you paying SKY £58 just for your phone line and broadband to make a total of £120.
Have you looked at his bills, maybe Sky gave him a deal, don't be so rude.
Old 24-06-2011, 08:31   #12
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
4 Mar 2011 D/D SKY DIGITAL - 113.77
Quote:
5 Apr 2011 D/D SKY DIGITAL - 168.46 (£30 PHONE BILL)
Quote:
5 May 2011 D/D SKY DIGITAL - 131.92
Seems the bill should have been much much cheaper and I've been conned for a full year...
Old 24-06-2011, 11:27   #13
Charliedontsurf
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
Have you looked at his bills, maybe Sky gave him a deal, don't be so rude.
So for just 1 sky box with sky world and skyBB he was paying over £110?

I don't believe it for 1 second, maybe a few multiroom boxes etc, but not for one box with broadband.
Old 24-06-2011, 17:11   #14
TJS
Inactive

Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
TJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really nice

Have fun.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 04:16   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Thing is, Sky is one of the only two or three truly unlimited ISPs in the UK. VM isn't.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote