Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Virus Letter?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Virus Letter?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:44   #1
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media Virus Letter?

Hi Guys, was wondering if this is normal...
I got a letter today from Virgin it says
'we believe your pc may be infected with a virus, we have recently received a report from Law Enforcement that suggests that a computer on your network may have been infected.....'

Virus Detected: SpyEye Trojan
Date and time: 18/2/2011 / 7:45pm (FEB!)

Then it gives further advise abotu how to remove it....
I know I had a virus before that tried to steal my halifax banking information But I managed to get rid of this..
Ofcourse I will be running a full Antivirus check on all my systems.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any of these?
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50   #2
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Virus Letter?

I don't think Virgin have ever sent out a letter about viruses before.

Could you get a scan of it? (Hiding your personal details of course.)
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:03   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It's a fake... VM woudn't use an American term like "Law enforcment" does it have a link to your account?? If so then you'll probably find that the URL goes elsewhere to a fake page.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:08   #4
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was a letter (hardcopy) sent to me with my virgin details uploading. The letter is below

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/scansdt.jpg

Like I said I did have a virus on my machine back in Feb I think and I noticed it when I signed into my halifax online account. Got rid of it ages ago but still scanning every machine currently with
Malwarebytes and Avast
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:16   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Pretty certain this IS real. Saw a story on our intranet last week about them being sent. Someone even pulled the usage of the wording Law enforcement

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:18   #6
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Seems an odd way to deal with it by sending letter, I would expect isp to suspend your account and then ring you up to help you in cleaning the infection before reinstating the account.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:18   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Sorry I thought you meant an email..

Install Spybot S&D and also Malwarebytes do a full scan on both and that should find and cure the issue..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:20   #8
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Seems an odd way to deal with it by sending letter, I would expect isp to suspend your account and then ring you up to help you in cleaning the infection before reinstating the account.
Better than them doing nothing at all?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:21   #9
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

How would they know this though would it be traffic on the internet connection because surely they're not allowed to tap into peoples computers?
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:22   #10
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

a friend of mine had a letter similar to this years ago claiming that something on his webspace was infected with a virus even though he had left Virgin and could no longer gain access to the webspace. It took him ages to get them to sort it and delete what was on there which should have been done when he left. So yes they do send out letters but strange how it claims that Law Enforcement suggests it.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29   #11
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Yeah the "Law Enforcement" bit does seem odd.

But Telewest/Blueyonder used to do this occasionally if they noticed typical botnet traffic coming from a customers ip (usually on a port that was well used by whatever virus was doing the rounds). They would even sometimes suspend your connection until you told them it had been sorted. Rare, but it did happen.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 13:14   #12
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

they can know because many trojans have a bot that connects to a irc channel, so if a botnet has been discovered then they may have collated a list of infected ip's.
Old 04-06-2011, 13:27   #13
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Hmm yeah, but what if your IP has changed? This is over 4 months old, and their IP could have changed since and someone else might have it?

I know VM IPs can change like BT's without a reboot, happened to a friend of mine who got moved to a different port but his modem didn't restart or say anything in the modem logs.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 13:34   #14
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

yes it could well be sent to the wrong person and especially if its old, that would depend on if VM have accurate records of past IP usage history.
Old 04-06-2011, 13:38   #15
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

i just put the number in on that letter to google expecting to find atleast one reference to it somewhere and NOTHING. I find it weird that they say they can remotely access of ur system and help clean a virus. Usually companies dont like to get involved in such things so directly incase of data loss which u may blame them for.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote