Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I'm just about sick of the Superhub......

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I'm just about sick of the Superhub......

Old 30-05-2011, 06:51   #1
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of
I'm just about sick of the Superhub......

After a period of stability my 30mb Superhub now requires rebooting every day to enable wireless access. The Superhub shows on the wireless devices but does not allow a connection until it is rebooted. The wife is giving me grief for changing from my old Belkin which might require a reboot once a year.

Any advice please?
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2011, 09:26   #2
foddy
Inactive

Services: Tivo, 50Mbps
foddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I'm just about sick of the Superhub......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Any advice please?
Either call an engineer to get a replacement, or find a cheap wireless access point and plug it into your SH by wire. If you have an old ADSL router, they can normally be set up to disable most of their features and work as an AP.
foddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:23   #3
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Masque says this behaviour must be a faulty unit. I'm not so convinced and think it is dodgy firmware which may eventually be fixed but I have posted on the VM community board asking if I need a replacement. Perhaps if everyone with hubs doing this asked for a replacement it would give the rather leisurely firmware development a suitably sharp prod.

It isn't a massive inconvenience to me as I don't hammer the wireless so can go for a week and often longer before this problem shows up. I'd say phone in and ask for a new one but I doubt it will be any different.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:29   #4
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Masque says this behaviour must be a faulty unit. I'm not so convinced and think it is dodgy firmware which may eventually be fixed but I have posted on the VM community board asking if I need a replacement. Perhaps if everyone with hubs doing this asked for a replacement it would give the rather leisurely firmware development a suitably sharp prod.

It isn't a massive inconvenience to me as I don't hammer the wireless so can go for a week and often longer before this problem shows up. I'd say phone in and ask for a new one but I doubt it will be any different.
If you don't get from the Hubs what they are meant to do, then report it, report it and report it .. keep reporting it until you get one that works .. or they fix it (if its a bug)

You pay to have BBI and if they are going to force you to use their Hub .. (at the moment) then it damn sure better work ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:42   #5
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

The problem is after years of garbage operating systems and software being the norm people are conditioned to the "not working - reboot it" philosophy and probably don't even see it as a fault that should be fixed. There has to be some reason why VM aren't inundated with complaints from those less fortunate than some here apparently are.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:46   #6
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The problem is after years of garbage operating systems and software being the norm people are conditioned to the "not working - reboot it" philosophy and probably don't even see it as a fault that should be fixed.

People generally don't seem to know what a good service/product is anymore.

And I'm not just on about Virgin Media
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:47   #7
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The problem is after years of garbage operating systems and software being the norm people are conditioned to the "not working - reboot it" philosophy and probably don't even see it as a fault that should be fixed. There has to be some reason why VM aren't inundated with complaints from those less fortunate than some here apparently are.
Maybe the majority of the users, aren't hitting the limits of the device like the users here ?

Personally I have a choice between the Hub and the VMNG, both sitting here, both provisioned to accounts and both working.

I used the Superhub for my personal account, 99% of my traffic goes through it and I am a heavy user .. I only use the VMNG for testing .. My Hub is on 17 days now without reboot, my wireless isn't great for my HTC, but the HTC is crap so ..

When I connect my work lappy to it, from down stairs, it works fine. I was working for 26 hours last month, (in one go, not for the whole month ) I was on wireless, using VPN and it didn't have a single drop out, I have my machine upstairs running utorrent and had someone else surfing the internet wirelessly for a few hours.
Old 30-05-2011, 11:47   #8
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Most tech support people wont consider it a fault either if simply rebooting it resolves the issue. India will close the call the second you indicate its working again.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:52   #9
Nopanic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Most tech support people wont consider it a fault either if simply rebooting it resolves the issue. India will close the call the second you indicate its working again.
True .. but if you call again and make sure it's noted, even call complaints and tell them you have called in, over and over..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not encouraging being to complain, but you need to get what you pay for.
Old 30-05-2011, 11:54   #10
TJS
Inactive

Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
TJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really nice

Quote:
Not to start some kind of debate but; I have been a mac user since the late 90's my laptop is on an uptime of 47 days; so I am by no means conditioned to thinking that.

My super-hub hit 16 days uptime before it restarted due to virgin doing something in the street cabinets (I know it was down tot hat because the people across the road's went down at the same time)

Now; i'm not sure if its quality control issues with the super-hub that could be the cause of problems; or perhaps the hub not playing fair with people network devices but it runs flawless for me over 3 MacBooks (various generations + specs) 2 iPhones and a mac mini All of which use broad-com chips for networking (afaik)
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:58   #11
Nopanic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
Not to start some kind of debate but; I have been a mac user since the late 90's my laptop is on an uptime of 47 days; so I am by no means conditioned to thinking that.

My super-hub hit 16 days uptime before it restarted due to virgin doing something in the street cabinets (I know it was down tot hat because the people across the road's went down at the same time)

Now; i'm not sure if its quality control issues with the super-hub that could be the cause of problems; or perhaps the hub not playing fair with people network devices but it runs flawless for me over 3 MacBooks (various generations + specs) 2 iPhones and a mac mini All of which use broad-com chips for networking (afaik)
As a MAC user your opinion is void from all discussions

I have to test on MACs and they drive me crazy .. after so many years on PCS ... I get really wound up lol
Old 30-05-2011, 12:35   #12
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
To be honest I can't bear the thoughts of speaking to an Indian Call Centre. The phone line is usually very poor quality and it irritates me the way they run through the stupid patter, like, after telling them the problem, and then without another word they ask you is there anything else they can help you with. I usually respond with " You haven't helped with the first problem yet" and of course they don't understand the sarcasm.

I'm really sorry I got the Superhub. I am very happy with all my other VM services but I feel I was conned by VM when it came to the Superhub.

URGH!!!!!!
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 12:49   #13
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
As a MAC user your opinion is void from all discussions

I have to test on MACs and they drive me crazy .. after so many years on PCS ... I get really wound up lol
i know they are ****. Try adding 85 of them to a windows domain when youve only ever used one once before. That was the longest week of my life
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 12:58   #14
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Masque says this behaviour must be a faulty unit. I'm not so convinced and think it is dodgy firmware which may eventually be fixed.
This may be a faulty unit but not necessarily so as it would need to be checked out remotely with our online tools before any decision as to what may be causing it can be decided, as for it being firmware related that is doubtful considering the amount of these in circulation.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Quote:
Most tech support people wont consider it a fault either if simply rebooting it resolves the issue.
Not really as the must be something causing the problem and simply rebooting is not the answer.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 14:00   #15
TJS
Inactive

Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
TJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
i know they are ****. Try adding 85 of them to a windows domain when youve only ever used one once before. That was the longest week of my life
Dont use a [Mod Edit] windows network then all you need to do is turn macs on and have them on the same network and its done LOL if you want to share files over the network go on settings then sharing and tick file sharing; jobs a good'n
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote