Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Thank You Virgin Media.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Thank You Virgin Media.

Old 26-05-2011, 13:42   #1
mindblown
Inactive

Services: Sky World HD, XL TV, (TiVO + 2x V+HD), BB 100
mindblown is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank You Virgin Media.

I'm not sure where to start, but I felt it was important I made this post, purely because there aren't many of these threads on here. Bare with, as it's long. But well worth a read.

I signed up to CableForum (which has been an excellent resource) to use as a research tool as I was pondering whether or not to switch from Sky to Virgin Media. As much as my experience with Sky has been excellent, their broadband offering leaves much to be desired [but that's the limitations of the technology, as I was getting the full 20Mb].

Needless to say, I read with dread post after post with regards to the Superhub. As I was opting for the 100Mb I was concerned that this was going to cause problems for me - between us as a family we have several internet enabled devices that need to be connected up. 2 desktop PCs (one wired, one wireless), 4 notebook PCs (all wireless), an Xbox 360 (wireless), a PS3 (wired), a Wii (wired) and a handful of mobile phones. But I overcome this dread with the belief that even if the 100Mb operated at ~50Mb at peak times, that would be an extra 30Mb bandwidth there available. So off I ordered and with the £150 quidco and £50 back on first bill, I couldn't resist.

Installation options were amazing. I ordered on the Friday and install was available on the Wednesday. The installer came well prepared. I opted for the morning slot (8:30am+) and he was there at 8:15am - all ready the minute it turned 8:30am. He was clear, concise and addressed all our concerns [I had read on here about pipe bursts, random holes and unsightly cables]. He wired our TV boxes and modem exactly where we asked and set about connecting it all up. I was expecting him to set up our TV boxes with SCART cables (which a lot of individuals have posted about as being the norm), but nope, he used HDMI cables and spent a good ~5 mins per TV/box in making sure he used the best setting per TV and box combination.

Then came the dreaded Superhub. He explained the 'well known' problems with it, but reassured that out of several 100Mb installs he'd performed, he'd not encountered any problems and the one that was reported was more down to a misconfiguration with the CPE. He installed it, performed all the basic checks on his own netbook, checked the wifi signal around the house on both his netbook and phone and then asked if I wanted advice or support on hooking up my other equipment - at which point I let him leave as he was done.

He left his mobile phone number with me to contact him on directly if there were any problems before 6pm (as he was still in the area till then) - which actually concerned me a little, as if he expected me to have problems.

But, to my surprise, no problems whatsoever. In fact, I get the full 100Mb throughout the day and night, WiFi has never dropped out [with most devices getting near enough the same as the hardwired PC]. The pings are excellent in gaming sessions, BBC iPlayer HD doesn't have buffering issues and I've not rebooted the Superhub once - it's just over a week now.

Plus, I can't say I've experienced a detrimental service during the throttling period either. We get the full ~1.2MB/s upload 24/7 and the same with the downstream. The only time I noticed the throttling was during a download from Usenet [in the evening] but even that was coming down at 2.2MB/s - and the best bit was it didn't interfere with the others in the house who were on their consoles and computers.

It's for the reasons I've outlined above that I would like to thank Virgin Media. I know I shouldn't need to thank them, I'm paying them at the end of the day, but it's been a pleasurable experience. I get exactly what I pay for.
mindblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2011, 14:08   #2
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Thank You Virgin Media.

Always good to give credit where due, especially as they seem to have gone to pains to ensure everything went well and you are getting just what you are paying for. I am sure anyone from VM who might read this will appreciate your kind words.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 22:15   #3
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

100Mb is the flag ship BBI service so the techs need to be 100% on the ball.

Sounds like this one was and as said above it is good to hear positive feedback.

Thank you for taking the time out to post
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 17:36   #4
Inactive

Services: 100Mbit Broadband
7031 is on a distinguished road7031 is on a distinguished road

Good to hear that there are still some good engineers working for VM. From what I can gather, the main problem is just that engineers are quite limited on time, so I'm not really surprise that there can be issues.

I plan on upgrading to 100Mbit soon, so hopefully I'll have the same good experience. Currently on 50Mbit, and even on torrents I manage to achieve this.
7031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 18:37   #5
Bullstein
Inactive

Bullstein is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you initiate a thinkbroadband ping monitor m8?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html

I gotta see these great gaming pings you are getting
Bullstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 19:09   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I play COD:BO online most nights, and get a ping range of 35-55ms.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 11:57   #7
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullstein View Post
Could you initiate a thinkbroadband ping monitor m8?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html

I gotta see these great gaming pings you are getting
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Old 28-05-2011, 12:10   #8
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
100Mb is the flag ship BBI service so the techs need to be 100% on the ball.

Sounds like this one was and as said above it is good to hear positive feedback.

Thank you for taking the time out to post
shouldnt they be "On the ball" as u put it with all installs or calls.

At the end of the day thats what customers pay their money to Virgin for to get issues fixed or installations done correctly and thats what the techs are paid to do.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 12:57   #9
Nopanic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
shouldnt they be "On the ball" as u put it with all installs or calls.

At the end of the day thats what customers pay their money to Virgin for to get issues fixed or installations done correctly and thats what the techs are paid to do.
Of course, but we're talking about real life here.

You've got thousands of people working for VM, its impossible to keep them all motivated and all doing their job perfect 100% of the time.

There are plenty of hoops that staff have to jump through to confirm they are doing things right, but with certain areas these hoops and expectation are increased and focused on.
Old 28-05-2011, 16:43   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Of course, but we're talking about real life here.

You've got thousands of people working for VM, its impossible to keep them all motivated and all doing their job perfect 100% of the time.

There are plenty of hoops that staff have to jump through to confirm they are doing things right, but with certain areas these hoops and expectation are increased and focused on.
Any company the size of VM will have a certain number of bad staff!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 17:19   #11
Bullstein
Inactive

Quote:

Nopanic

I was asking the topic starter to initiate a thinkbroadband ping monitor to see the quality of his pings over a period NOT just a pingtest result which is only a snapshot

I get decent results from pingtest too, but as you can see from my graph, the ping and jitter fluctuate. I have yet to see one single VM ping graph without jitter

Do you have a ping graph running by any chance? Or am I being cynical in thinking you would not publish one as it would highlight VM's deficiencies in steady latency
Old 28-05-2011, 17:25   #12
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't trust these graphs. As my graph shows the high spikes which i know for a fact is not happening as i never get above 1 or 2 jitter all day with other testing tools to different websites like bbc.co.uk
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:04   #13
greitaskreditas

I love the ping, cheers guys!
Old 28-05-2011, 18:13   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post
I don't trust these graphs. As my graph shows the high spikes which i know for a fact is not happening as i never get above 1 or 2 jitter all day with other testing tools to different websites like bbc.co.uk
Believe what you want to believe, if you are happy with your connection there's no problem.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:25   #15
Bullstein
Inactive

If you dont believe the graphs, then from your PC

Go to CMD and type

Ping BBC.co.uk -n 1000

Leave it running and then go over it and you will see exactly how spiky you pings are m8

My pings can be steady for a few hours, then jump around the 60 mark, then drop again

This happens even when I'm at work all day and nothing is connected to my Broadband service

VM can't explain this to me but someone said here it's other users activity that affects my pings. That's annoying tbh that I have to suffer because of my neighbours. I don't download much, no torrents or big stuff, simple browsing and PS3 gaming for me but I still get affected by others who do

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

If you look at between 2pm and 6pm, the service is top class, the single spike was a speedtest. I was gaming online without any lag whatsoever, totally smooth.
But it always changes to what you can see earlier in the day with the spiking.