Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can't Access Loads of Websites!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can't Access Loads of Websites!

Old 14-05-2011, 15:18   #1
speedymove
Inactive

speedymove is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't Access Loads of Websites!

Is anybody else having problems with their Virgin media Internet connection at the moment? Specifically there are a number of websites that I just cannot access. The browser just hangs until it times out. One of the websites is http://liverpoolfc.tv plus many others.

I have attached a tracert screenshot of me trying to connect to liverpoolfc.tv. I would appreciate any help with this issue that you can offer.. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png tracert.png (38.5 KB, 25 views)
speedymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2011, 15:28   #2
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't Access Loads of Websites!

That's odd... doesn't work for me either. Also, I add http://ign.com (was looking up a strategy guide for Shadow Of The Colossus last few creatures) and http://open.salon.com (link Roger Ebert tweeted about writing).

Typically this would happen just as I get my VMNG300 installed (30Mb on overlay) and everything is running nice. There's always SOMETHING, isn't there?

Oh, as a side note, same lack of success with neighbours connection (10Mb on legacy). What's going on here?
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 15:30   #3
speedymove
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
That's odd... doesn't work for me either. Also, I add http://ign.com (was looking up a strategy guide for Shadow Of The Colossus last few creatures) and http://open.salon.com (link Roger Ebert tweeted about writing).

Typically this would happen just as I get my VMNG300 installed (30Mb on overlay) and everything is running nice. There's always SOMETHING, isn't there?

Oh, as a side note, same lack of success with neighbours connection (10Mb on legacy). What's going on here?
Yeah, I can't access ign.com either.. I hope they can sort it soon!
Old 14-05-2011, 15:32   #4
Blue Alert
Inactive

Blue Alert is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto. VirginMedia in Gloucester, can't access any of the sites linked to in the above post. I know all th esites are working because I can access them over my mobile phone network on my phone.
Blue Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 15:36   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Both sides accessible from Leeds - hope you get it sorted soon.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 15:44   #6
Blue Alert
Inactive

Blue Alert is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't get to any IGN powered boards, it seem... like http://boards.theforce.net
Blue Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 16:16   #7
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

VPN off can't

VPN on can
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 16:47   #8
mogg
Inactive

mogg is an unknown quantity at this point

soo, is this a virgin problem, or a firmware update thing thats gone wrong or something ?
does virgin know about it, are they doing anything about it ?
got same problems, though it mostly seems to be game/online game sites that are effected
mogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 16:55   #9
PaulH225
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Vivid 200 Broadband, TV XL & Tivo, Phone L
PaulH225 is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here, can't access Intel's download centre (downloadcenter.intel.com) but can access www.intel.com.. Youtube's ok too.. Traceroute drops out at the same point as speedymove's..

EDIT: Just spoke to 50Mb support, they're not aware of anything but is going to check with the networks team..
PaulH225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 17:17   #10
DerekRothwell
Inactive

Services: Sky BB at almost dial-up speeds Crap TV (no iplayers) Average phone (unlimited) and all this for
DerekRothwell is on a distinguished roadDerekRothwell is on a distinguished road

You should be thankful you can't access Redsh*teTV - no silverware games been on there for years now
DerekRothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 17:23   #11
BritAngie
Inactive

BritAngie is an unknown quantity at this point

It's also affecting World of Warcraft users- we can't even launch the game to log on.
BritAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 17:29   #12
speedymove
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRothwell View Post
You should be thankful you can't access Redsh*teTV - no silverware games been on there for years now
wrong forum for that mate..

How long does it take these guys to sort out network problems like this normally?
Old 14-05-2011, 18:55   #13
PaulH225
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Vivid 200 Broadband, TV XL & Tivo, Phone L
PaulH225 is an unknown quantity at this point

Speedy, depends on what the problem is.. Could be a 5 min fix, could take a few hours.. If you're just browsing the web, some people have had success using the proxy server (webcache.virginmedia.com:8080) to access the sites they're having trouble with (see this post on VM's support forum). Seems to take a different route thus avoiding the problem router.

Paul
PaulH225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:09   #14
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly not a DNS problem; sites resolve but won't ping or respond on port 80.

The proxy is a nice temp fix.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:25   #15
Bullstein
Inactive

Bullstein is an unknown quantity at this point

All those sites quickly accessible from Glasgow

Hope you get I sorted bud
Bullstein is offline   Reply With Quote