Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Possible to revert firmware version on superhub?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Possible to revert firmware version on superhub?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:49   #1
Skullcap
Inactive

Services: 50MB VIP
Skullcap is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible to revert firmware version on superhub?

Greetings,

so today I've encountered the problems of the R25 firmware update and its causing me the inability to download anything off websites without enabling the firewall setting on the superhub, while this all fine and good for downloads I use internet gaming and the firewall is interfering with that aswell as now starting to show signs of websites not working correctly and even msn messenger.

So confirmation from other threads seems to agree is that the R25 is bugged and confirms its the culprit of the dropouts, is there anyway for me to revert the firmware or am I screwed over with having to enable the firewall on and off for downloads + internet gaming?
Skullcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2011, 12:54   #2
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Possible to revert firmware version on superhub?

You cannot revert the firmware.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 13:02   #3
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I see a fair few posts popping up on VMs forums now. No comment whatsoever also in the beta forum from staff in regards to a rollback.

I think its unlikely as it seems clear to me VM see blocking ssh as more important than useability of the service.

I did read a good post on VMs forums from a guy who is baffled as to why VM have a problem with him fixing his own service by enabling bridge mode himself in ssh.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 13:16   #4
Skullcap
Inactive

Thanks ignition, guess I have to deal with the **** poor firmware to they somehow magically fix what they broke from prior firmware to this one. Its quite annoying at this point having to enable and disable the firewall for multiple download sites simply because VM released a firmware to "supposely" fix issues.

Also its interesting to see that the beta testers for the firmware had mentioned this download issues, yet VM ignored it anyway and released the firmware update, so lets see how many weeks/months it takes to fix this issue.
Old 11-04-2011, 13:17   #5
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

seems some issues are solved like the download issue by enabling the firewall, but that causes new problems.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../441043#M73642
Old 11-04-2011, 14:02   #6
Skullcap
Inactive

Yeah, the firewall "fix" allowed me to download from sites, but now its impossible to connect to any online games which require me to send info to and from players while playing matches, along with this I've found I'm incapable of updating virus checker, spyware and windows update is freezing up due to the connection dropout which happens because of the firmware update.

I wouldn't mind if it was a connection issue, but its not, its a firmware update which was inadequately tested and now I and other customers have to suffer with the problem with no defined reponse or date of a fix in the works or a roll back of firmware, the fact it now effects things like windows update and spyware and antivirus should be even a more serious issue for it to be fixed immediately than them focusing on trying to do a security feature.
Old 11-04-2011, 14:19   #7
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Forwarding the ports needed for that game may allow it to work with the firewall enabled.

Personally, I'd be onto the CEO's office and demanding they send out a VMNG300. You would need your own Router, but that is usually preferable on any network as its yours to configure how you like and will have undergone far more testing than the Superhub appears to have.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 14:46   #8
Skullcap
Inactive

Port forwarding is the first avenue I took to see if I could get around the firewall problem, but to no success, with the firewall up its just poor to no ability to connect with others, the fact you have to enable the firewall for downloads to work points at a problem area with how the superhub and software is looking at the firewall settings.

I just think its poor customer service and Q&A, beta testers are confirming the issues were reported to VM, but VM have released this firmware regardless of that so they could "fix" a problem related to security, in doing so have effectively crippled the capability of the superhub and connection for the user.

Also to note, I had been having a perfect connection since the 50mb was installed to the firmware came through, so the saying "why fix it if its not broken" comes to mind.

Its even more of a concern that VM remains silent on the matter and does neither to acknowledge or confirm a fix or they are aware of the issue.
Old 11-04-2011, 15:45   #9
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

I recently got the R25 firmware. I then reset the router to factory defaults before restoring my saved settings (I always do this as part of a firmware update). With the firewall features switched off I tested, and found I could download the Nvidia graphics card drivers fine, without dropouts. I downloaded them twice to be sure.

I'm flying off on business today so can't check again for a bit, but it seems fine. Perhaps if you try resetting your Superhub to factory defaults you will resolve the problem?

BongMong ~
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 16:15   #10
Skullcap
Inactive

Already done the reset to factory settings option a couple of time, doesn't do anything for the problem.

If you don't have the firewall enabled you will get a error on download of "connection to the server has been reset", this has already been reported by others getting the same issue on the VM community site, firewall enabled allows you to download but it then causes other problems with connectivity, ping, ms, websites not loading whatsoever and so forth.

There was no issues with the superhub or connection prior to this new firmware rollout, which has stated has been released even after beta testers mentioned the issues of download and connectivity still being present, also the firmware release R25 has had a very short time in testing, thus the problems which presist now are present and its effecting a decent part of the userbase.

Its not a matter of me or other customers to fix the issue, and after doing all the nessessary checks and resets it still can't be fixed by us but require a change in firmware to alleviate the problem, be it either a revert back to R24 of a emergency fix for R25.
Old 11-04-2011, 16:28   #11
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

VM have 2 issues I guess.

1 - a PR diasaster for the superhub if rollback.
2 - how much do they want to keep ssh blocked?

Although this issue should have nothing to do with blocking ssh, so in theory should be possible to do a R24.1 which just has the ssh blocked but no other R25 changes.
Old 11-04-2011, 20:03   #12
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I'm finding this R25 "connection to the server has been reset" issue can be resolved by using a download manager or maybe I should say I use Slimbrowser and can resolve the superdud issue by using SB's on board download manager.

So far I have only come across the issue once but have not tried to update any OS's or stream any YouTube vids.

IME CableCo in any of it's different Nyms has never managed to get a totally bug free firmware/middleware running in any of it's supplied hardware (with the possible exceptions of the docsis1 modems) so I suppose we shouldn't expect the Leopard to change it's spots.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 21:05   #13
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
VM have 2 issues I guess.

1 - a PR diasaster for the superhub if rollback.
2 - how much do they want to keep ssh blocked?

Although this issue should have nothing to do with blocking ssh, so in theory should be possible to do a R24.1 which just has the ssh blocked but no other R25 changes.
Im willing to bet that wont happen, the response from VM will be, "wait for the next firmware to be released"

why dont they just allow shh, that would resolve many problems
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 21:09   #14
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Because allowing SSH access is a "security risk".
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 21:12   #15
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Because allowing SSH access is a "security risk".
what could someone possible do with ssh that is considered a security risk??
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote