Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mushroom Identification please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mushroom Identification please

Old 02-04-2011, 10:31   #1
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Mushroom Identification please

Last year we put a load of bark down at the front of the house (B&Q large chipped untreated bark) now we have a load, well around 1-2lb of mushrooms. I think they are Morels which are edible but would like some knowledgeable person to just assure me before I pan-fry them in butter & garlic that they are what I think they are.
Tubular creamy white soft stem, hollow in the middle & they don't look very pretty.

TIA

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1977.JPG (338.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1978.JPG (395.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1979.JPG (373.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1980.JPG (405.8 KB, 16 views)
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2011, 10:46   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Mushroom Identification please

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Last year we put a load of bark down at the front of the house (B&Q large chipped untreated bark) now we have a load, well around 1-2lb of mushrooms. I think they are Morels which are edible but would like some knowledgeable person to just assure me before I pan-fry them in butter & garlic that they are what I think they are.
Tubular creamy white soft stem, hollow in the middle & they don't look very pretty.

TIA

Al

Morels ,morchella ,apparently it's edible i like mushrooms but not sure i would eat that

http://www.nifg.org.uk/edible_fungi.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47   #3
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:58   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Morels occasionally contain insect larvae that drop out during the drying process.[25] Morels are a feature of many cuisines, including Provençal.[26] Their unique flavor is prized by cooks worldwide, with recipes and preparation methods designed to highlight and preserve it. As with most edible fungi, they are best when collected or bought fresh.

you may want to pay particular attention to that bit from the wiki link
Old 02-04-2011, 11:03   #5
alferret
cf.mega poster

alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

From what I have read the rule of thumb is if its hollow its edible, if solid then its a false morel. With that I'm gonna fry a few in some garlic & butter (getting peckish) if I don't post back then I'm dead lol!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:02   #6
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Best tell us where to send the ambulance just in case!! :-)
Old 02-04-2011, 16:33   #7
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I always go HERE -> http://www.mushrooms.org.uk/ to identify any I find I'm not dead so far

This is the list of edible (and nice tasting) ones -> http://www.mushrooms.org.uk/displays...tion=edibility
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 19:18   #8
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Has anyone heard from alferret??
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 19:21   #9
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
Has anyone heard from alferret??
was starting to get worried
Old 02-04-2011, 19:25   #10
alferret
cf.mega poster

I'm here, alive n kickin lol! I actually bottled it & decided to err on the side of caution. Call me a wuss Thanks for the concern tho, I think I would have tried them but as I have dodgy guts at the moment!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 19:34   #11
martyh

Quote:
I'm here, alive n kickin lol! I actually bottled it & decided to err on the side of caution. Call me a wuss Thanks for the concern tho, I think I would have tried them but as I have dodgy guts at the moment!!!

good man ,it didn't look very appertising anyway
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37   #12
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:

Shi.....you see Mick - I told you that plan to get to get rid of alferret from CF using the ye olde dodgy mushroom plan wouldn't work!!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:24   #13
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

General rule of thumb for fungi: unless you're absolutely certain they're edible, don't!
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote