Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Finding Proper Tradesmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Finding Proper Tradesmen

Old 16-03-2011, 14:18   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Finding Proper Tradesmen

Hi

How can I find out if someone isn't a dodgy builder?

Theres a place you can check I believe but I cant seem to find it.

Also, everytime I try to check for builders in my area most are out of business.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

You can close this now.

Federation of Master builders was the thing I was looking for
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2011, 14:21   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Finding Propper Tradesmen

The Federation of Master Builders

Be wary of assuming anyone on their register is OK. There are some very good builders listed but there are also some less than reputable ones as well. Do your homework and make sure you ask for, and follow up ,references. My husband was a registered builder with them and he was one of the good guys. However the references he gave them were never followed up and they never inspected any of his work. They just took the expensive membership fee and listed him, he could have been a right conman for all the care the Federation took in vetting him.

You could try asking around, or maybe have a stroll around your neighbourhood to see if there is any work going on that you can have a nosey at and maybe quiz the house-owners. If you have any independent builders yards, or any building trade suppliers near you call in and see if they can recommend any local builder. They won't want to have any negative comeback for the recommendation so should only point you in the direction of a builder who they trust themselves, but, still ask for references and make sure you follow them up.

At this time of year most good builders and trades people will be booked up so be a tad wary of any that can start work immediately, They may have just had a job delayed or cancelled but most would move up a waiting job and put you at the bottom of their list so being able to start immediately would ring alarm bells with me.

Oh and don't for any reason pay up front.
Old 16-03-2011, 15:03   #3
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Finding Propper Tradesmen

As Jo says, be careful. FMB have had some extremely dodgy characters on the books at times.

Ask for references and do follow them up. Personally I'd run a mile from anyone that could start straight away.

And I want to know where they live. I absolutely will not do business with someone whose only contact is a cellphone number.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 15:28   #4
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Finding Proper Tradesmen

Word of Mouth is probably the best method but is far from infallable.

Trade Registers like The Federation of Master Builders and Yellow Pages are the worst places to look.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 17:03   #5
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu

Don't Which? maintain a list of tradesmen??
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 17:06   #6
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

checkatrade.com down in the south not sure if it is nationwide
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 17:23   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The best method is ask family & friends, rather than pull a name out of the Yellow Pages or such.