Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | whats in the omnibox?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

whats in the omnibox?

Old 25-02-2011, 22:11   #1
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
whats in the omnibox?

As above. The cable comes from the tap, into the brown box on the exterior wall. This goes into a metal box inside the white box on the interior wall. The cable goes from this to my superhub.

My question: What components are there between my Garden wall and my modem?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2011, 23:08   #2
Digi Tel
Inactive

Services: Winter Hill Freeview, Sky+, Virgin 4play, TV Broadband Phone and Mobile
Digi Tel is on a distinguished roadDigi Tel is on a distinguished road
Re: whats in the omnibox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
whats in the omnibox?
An omnispider. The omnispider stands guard over the omnibox metal connector (a metal connector just like the one you have described inside your white box).

If you ever added another service, a dual connector could be fitted inside the omnibox, giving you an additional cable, which could enter your house at the location of your choice. However, you only ever have one omnispider on sentry duty.
Digi Tel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 23:13   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Isnt there some kind of fuse or something somewhere as well to stop huge spikes going through and frying your equipment?

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 23:23   #4
Digi Tel
Inactive

Services: Winter Hill Freeview, Sky+, Virgin 4play, TV Broadband Phone and Mobile
Digi Tel is on a distinguished roadDigi Tel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Isnt there some kind of fuse or something somewhere as well to stop huge spikes going through and frying your equipment?
The engineer may fit an attenuator if signal levels are too high, that would normally be on view inside the house.
Digi Tel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 23:27   #5
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Our brown box is just full of rather large and aggressive spiders according to the last engineer to venture near it.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 11:15   #6
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

curiosity took the better of me this morning, i opened the omnibox, despite what i have read about special screws, it just had a normal positive screw driver screw.

inside it was the coax and phone wire coming through my garden, the coax cable connected to another coax cable about 10cm long, which goes through the wall and into this:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8137/dscn0712v.jpg
this white coax cable then goes to the attenuators, then into the modem.

The phone cabling just goes straight into the phone socket

that box that the coax goes through.... errr.... what is it? it says 0.4db on it?

can i change this for another one with a different value to get rid of the attenuators, or can I get rid of this thing all together?
Old 26-02-2011, 13:06   #7
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
curiosity took the better of me this morning, i opened the omnibox, despite what i have read about special screws, it just had a normal positive screw driver screw.

inside it was the coax and phone wire coming through my garden, the coax cable connected to another coax cable about 10cm long, which goes through the wall and into this:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8137/dscn0712v.jpg
this white coax cable then goes to the attenuators, then into the modem.

The phone cabling just goes straight into the phone socket

that box that the coax goes through.... errr.... what is it? it says 0.4db on it?

can i change this for another one with a different value to get rid of the attenuators, or can I get rid of this thing all together?
dont remove it..that is an isolator (as has been said previous) to stop any surges blowing your devices up! its an electrical safety requirement for EVERY piece of equipment VM install in your house.the only time 1 x isolator will suffice for 2 or more devices is when they are plugged into the same socket or gang of sockets
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 13:23   #8
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

sweet
Old 26-02-2011, 22:27   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
The charge that powers the line powered amplifiers is filtered at the taps/cabinets, it doesn't go down customer drops. Electrocuting customers sadly isn't cool
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 23:14   #10
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal

Looking at the picture who put the push on connector and look at the braiding sticking out
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 23:56   #11
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
As above. The cable comes from the tap, into the brown box on the exterior wall. This goes into a metal box inside the white box on the interior wall. The cable goes from this to my superhub.

My question: What components are there between my Garden wall and my modem?
Slugs, snails and spiders
Old 28-02-2011, 11:50   #12
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

put the connector on. The guy who did the installation didn't put the wire in. He left me a coil to route myself, I cut the eire shorter and put the connector on. I'm no technician, my service works and I'm happy.

So does this thing protect from surges or what? There are people saying different things
Old 28-02-2011, 18:03   #13
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Yes, it is supposed to protect your kit from surges. Though it isn't your kit. Google "modemsafe" for more info :p
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 18:18   #14
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
put the connector on. The guy who did the installation didn't put the wire in. He left me a coil to route myself, I cut the eire shorter and put the connector on. I'm no technician, my service works and I'm happy.

So does this thing protect from surges or what? There are people saying different things
You do not remove the isolator as that is a legal requirement to be fitted, looking at your push on connector it is amazing that you have a good connection and you are not causing noise to ingress onto the local network as the should be no bare braiding showing and push on fittings are nowhere near as good as crimped.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 18:27   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Actually they are screw on fittings. Crimped are better and preferable.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote