Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Self harming - Advice please.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Self harming - Advice please.

Old 16-01-2011, 12:58   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Self harming - Advice please.

This is not me.

One of my XBL friends was talking to me last night about death/cutting himself again, I didn't know what to say.

Some background of what he has told me about himself, his birth mother left when he was a baby, and his father remarried and he refers to her as "mum", his Birth mum got back in touch recently and wanted him to go and live with her in New York. I told him he would be stupid to do that as he doesn't know her. He will now spend two month there in the summer and he's going with his step mum.

So what should I next time he talks like that, and what can I tell his GF as the asked me a similar question.
Old 16-01-2011, 13:01   #2
Zing

Re: Self harming - Advice please.

he has to get professional help. The only problem is chances are he will refuse. There is very little you can do other than be there for him and be honest with his family/girlfriend if you have contact with them cuz really as he is really only a virtual friend its not your responsability
Old 16-01-2011, 13:05   #3
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

You need to strongly suggest he sees his Doctor urgently, he really needs professional help.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 15:51   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
This is not me.

One of my XBL friends was talking to me last night about death/cutting himself again, I didn't know what to say.

Some background of what he has told me about himself, his birth mother left when he was a baby, and his father remarried and he refers to her as "mum", his Birth mum got back in touch recently and wanted him to go and live with her in New York. I told him he would be stupid to do that as he doesn't know her. He will now spend two month there in the summer and he's going with his step mum.

So what should I next time he talks like that, and what can I tell his GF as the asked me a similar question.
My professional advice as an educator is that self harm needs dealing with by an expert and the doctor should be the first place to seek help.You don't say what age he is.If he is at school or in college or at University he can seek help from one of the staff who can arrange counselling for him from their regular trained staff.Otherwise it is his doctor he should speak to.
Old 16-01-2011, 15:52   #5
Tuftus

What they said ^^^

Having witnessed someone self harm first hand, up close with a serrated knife I really cannot recommend it as a pleasant experience.

Get them to a Doctor asap!
Old 16-01-2011, 16:26   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

They are 15 and live in Northern Ireland. I will contact his GF who I will try and get me to help.
Old 16-01-2011, 17:07   #7
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
They are 15 and live in Northern Ireland. I will contact his GF who I will try and get me to help.
Then maybe his teachers can help with arranging some counselling.?