Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving a V+ box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moving a V+ box

Old 03-01-2011, 11:59   #1
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
Moving a V+ box

I've phoned up Virgin and asked about moving one of my V+ boxes into a different room. I was told that it would cost £99 to have it moved. This can't be right, I paid less than that last year for the box and installation. The person on the phone said it'd be better just cancelling the box and having a new one installed. The thing is we're in contract till September/October because that's when I got the box installed. Can't I get the box moved for cheaper?

Thanks,

Craig
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2011, 12:48   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moving a V+ box

Installations often are done at a lower cost fee because VM can then look forward to the subscription. There is no such beneifit to them if they are moving kit about.

Cancellation and then a new installation would leave you without service for a few months as I recall many posting on here that there is a delay interval to stop reinstallation being abused for people getting discounted deals.

Do you have a second V box? if not it might be possible to get one added? That would give you an installation into the new room and allow you to relocate the V+ to that leaving the V box in the old room. Of course you would pay an additional monthly charge for the added box and it would restart your 12 month contract.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:09   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
I've phoned up Virgin and asked about moving one of my V+ boxes into a different room. I was told that it would cost £99 to have it moved. This can't be right, I paid less than that last year for the box and installation. The person on the phone said it'd be better just cancelling the box and having a new one installed. The thing is we're in contract till September/October because that's when I got the box installed. Can't I get the box moved for cheaper?

Thanks,

Craig
could you not do it yourself it is quite easy .Where has the box got to moved in relation to where it is now?
Old 03-01-2011, 13:27   #4
cimt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Do you have a second V box? if not it might be possible to get one added? That would give you an installation into the new room and allow you to relocate the V+ to that leaving the V box in the old room. Of course you would pay an additional monthly charge for the added box and it would restart your 12 month contract.
Got 2 V+ boxes and a V box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
could you not do it yourself it is quite easy .Where has the box got to moved in relation to where it is now?
I'm thinking of doing that. I'd literally be moving the box from one side of the house to the other. It'd also be on a different floor.
Old 03-01-2011, 15:11   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

I'm thinking of doing that. I'd literally be moving the box from one side of the house to the other. It'd also be on a different floor.
Thats big job which requires an engineer as you could affect the signal levels in your road if done incorrectly so £99 sound sweet considering where you want to move the box.

I would though consider getting a 4th box fitted instead as the engineer will fit it exactly where you want it and probably relocate the V+ for a bacon sarnie.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 15:35   #6
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Thats big job which requires an engineer as you could affect the signal levels in your road if done incorrectly so £99 sound sweet considering where you want to move the box.

I would though consider getting a 4th box fitted instead as the engineer will fit it exactly where you want it and probably relocate the V+ for a bacon sarnie.
yes it a big job that ,i had more in mind of a short cable through the wall ,but accross the house and up a floor is a bit different
Old 03-01-2011, 17:52   #7
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

If you look at it this way, its £99 for any kind of engineer call out (non fault + install), or you can pay £106 over 12 months (£5.50pm (has it gone up?) + £40 install fee). You are better off getting an additional box in the long run as you're getting more for your money. You may even get the install fee waved, you never know what deals are on, saving you even more!
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 21:19   #8
cimt

How would it effect the signal levels? Surely a longer cable won't have an effect on the levels?
Old 03-01-2011, 21:32   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
How would it effect the signal levels? Surely a longer cable won't have an effect on the levels?
It can cause noise on the network which can affect the street and can be problematic for the engineers to trace at which point you can be disconnected until your cabling is repaired satisfactorily as I expect jayjay will mention when he reads this thread.

As k about a 4th box as that may be the best bet all round.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 21:35   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It most certainly does. See http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html.

If you add extra connectors you lose a lot more.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 21:40   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

What it really comes down to is, how long your cable extension is, how competently you make up the cable with the required f-plugs at either end, and how close to the limit your signal levels already are.

Years ago, when I had NTL broadband installed, the tech left me enough spare cable to go up the wall, through the loft and down again to the opposite corner of the house, in case I wanted to move the modem later. I eventually used this cable without causing any issues.

You *can* cause your signal levels to drift outside of tolerances by altering your cable length, but it is entirely likely that you *won't*. For the price of a length of cable and a couple of f-plugs, personally I'd go ahead and do it. It's worth the punt. If it knocks your service out, simply restore everything to the way it was and consider whether moving your box is worth £100 to you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote