Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moneygram help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moneygram help

Old 04-12-2010, 01:07   #1
dgardner

Moneygram help

Hi,
I need to send some money to my cousin in norfolk for christmas pressies
for her kids but she doesn't have a bank account so no money transfer
or cheque and she isn't net savvy so no paypal etc.
I could send postal orders but could take weeks to turn up if at all so was thinking
of moneygram through the post office but I have never used it before.
The question is has anyone used it and ho easy is it to get the money
and how much is charged?
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2010, 01:59   #2
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: Moneygram help

Have you tried Western Union?

www.westernunion.co.uk
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:54   #3
dgardner

Thanks for the reply

I first looked at western union but there are no outlets near her whereas with moneyram
she can get the money from the post office
Old 04-12-2010, 12:06   #4
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

https://www.moneygram.com/MGI/EN/GB/...tm?CC=GB&LC=EN

There's a link on the front page "How much" that takes you to an estimator page. 100 quid costs 12 to send apparently and is available in 10 minutes.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 14:12   #5
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Whats wrong with just sending cash via Royal Mail Special Delivery? It costs £5 but depends on weight.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

Make sure its well packed though (ie not just an envelope)
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 15:27   #6
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Special Delivery is £5.05 for a letter/package up to 100g which includes £500 insurance and is guaranteed next day delivery. It'sonly 45p more if it's heavier - up to 500g.

If you are sending a card just pop the cash inside the card and send the letter by Special at any Post Office.
Old 04-12-2010, 15:44   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
Hi,
I need to send some money to my cousin in norfolk for christmas pressies
for her kids but she doesn't have a bank account so no money transfer
or cheque and she isn't net savvy so no paypal etc.
I could send postal orders but could take weeks to turn up if at all so was thinking
of moneygram through the post office but I have never used it before.
The question is has anyone used it and ho easy is it to get the money
and how much is charged?
Thanks
Really? Have you ever met this 'cousin'? Be sure to check that the moneygram office she wants you to send to isn't actually in Nigeria. Norfolk, Nigeria ... easily confused.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 17:16   #8
haydnwalker
Inactive

haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Chris - I was tempted by a comment along those lines too...
Old 04-12-2010, 20:43   #9
dgardner

Of course I have met my cousin
When did they move Norfolk to Nigeria?
Still thanks for the replies
Old 04-12-2010, 22:38   #10
haydnwalker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
Of course I have met my cousin
When did they move Norfolk to Nigeria?
Still thanks for the replies
You obviously didn't get the joke...

In the Nigerian Spam emails that fly around the net, usually nigerians ask for money to be sent via Moneygram or Western Union transfers in return for large cash deposits into your bank account (they make out that you are a last surviving relative of someone there).

This is why I wouldn't touch Moneygram/Western Union with a 10ft barge pole, and Special Delivery is much better IMHO
Old 04-12-2010, 22:57   #11
dgardner

ahh I see
Old 05-12-2010, 00:22   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
You obviously didn't get the joke...

In the Nigerian Spam emails that fly around the net, usually nigerians ask for money to be sent via Moneygram or Western Union transfers in return for large cash deposits into your bank account (they make out that you are a last surviving relative of someone there).

This is why I wouldn't touch Moneygram/Western Union with a 10ft barge pole, and Special Delivery is much better IMHO
What actual proof do you have that Moneygram are not kosher?Just because they are mentioned in Nigerian scam mail isn't proof positive.
Old 05-12-2010, 00:32   #13
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Plus, I would never send cash through the post, even by special delivery...
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 15:13   #14
haydnwalker
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
What actual proof do you have that Moneygram are not kosher?Just because they are mentioned in Nigerian scam mail isn't proof positive.
No I wasn't saying it was...

I generally go on word of mouth for things like that - as just because a reputable company is selling the service, doesn't mean the service they are selling is reputable

I've actually looked it up, and you get a reference number, so I suppose for small amounts it should be fine (but for the cost, special delivery would be cheaper @ £5 - Moneygram costs £9 to send £50 or £12 to send £100)