Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin wont install in bedsit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin wont install in bedsit

Old 16-08-2010, 17:35   #1
jamiepowell
Inactive

jamiepowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Virgin wont install in bedsit

Hey peeps i rung up virgin media today due to them emailing me and saying that there is already a virgin customer registered to my address so i phoned and explained that i live in a bedsit and they say due to me sharing a bathroom or kitchen they cannot install it for me, So due to me not living in a normal house like normal people im not entitled to there service is that correct or is there a real reason i cant have it any help much appreciated as when i spoke to them they couldnt explain why it couldnt be fitted just that its in there guidlines and they wont do it
jamiepowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2010, 17:40   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin wont install in bedsit

Most bedsit type accommodation is considered short term for the occupants. After all most will want to move to somewhere more private if they can. Virgin Media would be concerned about the security of their contract, normally wanting a 12 month minimum contract to ensure the costs of their installation are going to be rewarded over that period.

I'd speak to the landlord of the property. He might be able to get the existing service extended to you, for a share of the bills. Otherwise getting the computer systems of VM to accept two different accounts in one postal address building is a near impossibility.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 19:23   #3
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

They did for me when my ex decided to play the field and I got kicked out. I was in a bedsit (shared kitchen\batroom\lounge) & they had no issues with installing for me & they spent 2hrs sorting it out as they had to go from the cellar to the 1st floor. I had phone, TV & BB installed. This was just over 5 years ago, try phoning again the next advisor may be a little more helpful.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 19:26   #4
Spann3r
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media V+, 50mb BB & Telco
Spann3r is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done planty of installs in bedsits. They do all come down to my pda as Flats
Spann3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 19:29   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

If you are not on the Royal Mail address list then you will have to write a letter to them with all your details requesting them to put your address on the list.

What you need to do is contact Royal Mail Address Maintenance via this link HERE

Or you can try ringing the Royal Mail directly on 08457 740 740.

Then you can can follow the Spotters link below.

The link to the Spotters Form is below, but the property has to be listed on the Royal Mail Addresses List first in order for services to be billed, which seems to be the case here, one of my colleagues is in the same boat and has had to do the above in order to get services to his property.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/webs...otters-form.do
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 19:54   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
This was just over 5 years ago
The policy has since changed - Virgin will now only install to registered addresses, and will only install one residential account per address
Old 16-08-2010, 20:38   #7
jamiepowell
Inactive

jamiepowell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your responses i have contacted them again and spoke to a superviser and she is sending an engineer out to see what they can do but wouldnt guarantee any thing, I will let you know how it goes, Many thanks
jamiepowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 20:59   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiepowell View Post
Thanks for all your responses i have contacted them again and spoke to a superviser and she is sending an engineer out to see what they can do but wouldnt guarantee any thing, I will let you know how it goes, Many thanks
I would check with Royal Mail to ensure that you are actually listed as a standalone address as otherwise no chance as per my colleague.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 21:45   #9
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

jamiepowell sorry VM policy is one account to one property .... a separate room is not a separate property. You'll have to share, not only your bathroom and kitchen, but cable products.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 23:23   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
jamiepowell sorry VM policy is one account to one property .... a separate room is not a separate property. You'll have to share, not only your bathroom and kitchen, but cable products.
Plus it works out cheaper to share
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 07:55   #11
watzizname
Inactive

Services: XL 60/3
watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

Well i live in a room, my landlady has been a VM customer since they were diamond cable, and VM have not had any issues providing me with a seperate BB account.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...lation.html#11

My mail uses the same address and letterbox as my landlady too, so i'm doubting my room is registered as a seperate address.

They delivered the "Box Of Tricks" yesterday, and i'm using the hub as i type this.
watzizname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 11:36   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I did a bit of digging on this and it seems there has been a limited multiple account trial - to see if it can be done properly without it affecting internal systems or capacity.

This has now finished and the results are being looked at. Whether this will end up as a full policy change and what the criteria will be hasn't been decided yet
Old 20-08-2010, 21:01   #13
agoodtech
Inactive

agoodtech is an unknown quantity at this point

I had similar agro a few years back, just say it is 120(or watever your house number), but say it is Flat 2 or B.

Worked for me.
agoodtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 14:30   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoodtech View Post
I had similar agro a few years back, just say it is 120(or watever your house number), but say it is Flat 2 or B.

Worked for me.
That used to work but won't now