Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection from Virgin+ HD box to Home Theatre System?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection from Virgin+ HD box to Home Theatre System?

Old 04-08-2010, 21:43   #1
NicDW
Inactive

NicDW is an unknown quantity at this point
Connection from Virgin+ HD box to Home Theatre System?

Apologies in advance for the use of non-technical terms or if I have posted in the wrong forum.

I have an Alba Home Theatre System which I previously succesfully connected to my Sky+ box as it had the red and white audio cable connections. However, my new Virgin+ HD box (Samsung) doesn't have these connections. Is there anything I can do or do I have to buy a new speaker system? The Virgin box is currently connected to the TV via HDMI.
NicDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2010, 22:22   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Connection from Virgin+ HD box to Home Theatre System?

Do you have an optical input on your amp (spdif)
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 22:24   #3
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

does the tv have audio output sockets? connect that to the home theatre with same red and white phono cables?

alternatively does your tv have a headphone socket? get a lead with correct size headphone jack at 1 end, and 2 phono plugs at other end to plug into home theatre?
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 22:41   #4
NicDW
Inactive

No optical input on my amp unfortunately.

I have tried connecting the tv to amp via the red and white phono cables (i.e no direct connection from the Virgin box to the amp) but no success.

Do I have to change the audio settings on Virgin set-up?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:32   #5
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Your TV probably wont have these sockets as output conenctions as they are normally input only.

The Samsung V+ only supports optical output for surround sound, the older Scientific Atlanta box does support these connection types but it would be hit and miss getting an old box as the Samsung is now the primary V+ with SA models onyl being used when they are in stock.

If your Amp doesnt support Optical In, it may be a good time to invest in new Amp? You should be able to get a decent Sony amp for less than £200 (Ebay less than £100!)

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:08   #6
NicDW
Inactive

Thanks for the inbfo. Thought that might be the case.

Is there any way round it if I switch to connecting the Virgin box via Scart? I only want external speakers as the volume on my Bush S626 even on full is rubbish and I live on a noisy main road!
Old 05-08-2010, 16:27   #7
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

You could try one of these plugged into video scart output of the v+ box.You should still be able to use the hdmi connection at the same time.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29903

You will only need to plug the phono leads into your amp.There maybe a possibility of sound sync problems.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37   #8
NicDW
Inactive

Just to let you know that in the end I solved the problem by realising that there was headphone jack output on the TV, so I bought a jack/phono adapter for £7.99 and hey presto! The sound is not massively louder, but better than before and it was a cheap fix.

Still saving up to buy a decent amp!