Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can't View Signal Levels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can't View Signal Levels

Old 26-06-2010, 06:33   #1
Sahness
Inactive

Services: 20 Meg Virgin Broadband (XL?)
Sahness is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't View Signal Levels

Hi there,

Having a lot of problems with Virgin in the past few hours. I've been unable to use it due to the fact that every 3-4 minutes it has dropped connections, meaning browsing the Internet, chatting, and playing games has been a chore. I'm in Liverpool.

I looked through several threads and noted a way of viewing my signal levels, but after following the 'site, I'm no better off.

The only things listed are the following. Apparently, I'm on a VM 256.

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1002
Hardware Version : 1.9
Sahness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2010, 06:44   #2
dgcarter
Inactive

Services: 60mbps Broadband only since I got rid of the overpriced phone line and the pointless TV
dgcarter doesn't have many friendsdgcarter doesn't have many friendsdgcarter doesn't have many friends
Re: Can't View Signal Levels

You need to log in to the modem. Top left there is a login link, click on that, it will tell you what the default username and password is (probably 'login' for both).
dgcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 06:52   #3
Sahness
Inactive

This is when I'm using the "http://root:root@192.168.100.1/" link. Is that what you meant?
Old 26-06-2010, 08:32   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Click this link http://192.168.100.1/ then click on LOGIN in the top left corner when it asks for the username and password you then put in root for both if it does not work you will need to call faults.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 08:52   #5
Sahness
Inactive

Quote:
Click this link http://192.168.100.1/ then click on LOGIN in the top left corner when it asks for the username and password you then put in root for both
Brings up the exact same page.

Quote:
The only things listed are the following. Apparently, I'm on a VM 256.

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1002
Hardware Version : 1.9
Old 26-06-2010, 08:55   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Did you try clicking on the menu's on the left side?
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 08:56   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

When you get to that page on the top left it will say LOGIN, you click on that and it will ask for the username and password which are both root.

Click this below it should work.

Login
Factory default username/password is"root"
Old 26-06-2010, 09:01   #8
Sahness
Inactive

Whoops, thanks. Feel like a complete idiot for not realising that "Login" button was... a button.

Here's every piece of information I could possibly find.

Code:
Acquire a Downstream Channel  	 	307000000 Hz  	 	Locked
Connectivity State 		OK 		Operational
Boot State 		OK 		Operational

Downstream Lock : 	Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 	52
Downstream Frequency : 	307000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : 	QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 	6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : 	taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 	4.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 	38.4 dB

Network Access : 	Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 	20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 	768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 	3044
Maximum Number of CPEs : 	1
Modem Capability : 	Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

Upstream Lock : 	Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 	3
Upstream Frequency : 	37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : 	QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 	2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 	32.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 	2

Modulation Type 	 QPSK 	 QPSK 	 QPSK 	16QAM 	16QAM
Differential Encoding 	Off 	Off 	Off 	Off 	Off
Preamble Length 	36 	232 	232 	128 	128
Preamble Value Offset 	244 	6 	6 	504 	504
FEC Error Correction (T) 	0 	5 	5 	4 	9
FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 	16 	34 	34 	76 	232
Scrambler Seed 	338 	338 	338 	338 	338
Maximum Burst Size 	0 	0 	0 	7 	0
Guard Time Size 	22 	48 	48 	22 	22
Last Codeword Length 	Fixed 	Fixed 	Fixed 	Short 	Short
Scrambler on/off 	On 	On 	On 	On 	On
Old 26-06-2010, 09:03   #9
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

is that showing upstream bonding?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 09:04   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Your Upstream at 32.5 dBmV is on the low side so a call to technical support is in order.

At least you can get in now.
Old 26-06-2010, 09:22   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
is that showing upstream bonding?
Nope, also it's not a bonding modem. Those are upstream modulation profile parameters.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/cabl...html#wp1086269
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 09:27   #12
Sahness
Inactive

Phoned the tech help office and the lady on the other side says she can't figure out what it is, but attributes it to possibly someone working on the line, despite the fact both her check and mine says there's nothing going on in my area. Told me to phone back in a few hours so I suppose I'll wait for that. :P
Old 26-06-2010, 09:30   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahness View Post
Told me to phone back in a few hours so I suppose I'll wait for that. :P
Marvellous they are supposed to sort it on the first call rather than ask you to call back, very likely you may get an engineer booked when you call back.
Old 26-06-2010, 11:30   #14
Sahness
Inactive

The problem is now far worse, and I'm disconnecting every 20-30 seconds. It's taken me eight tries to post this by typing it up in Wordpad before posting.

I called them again and explained the issue, and was asked to use Speedtest.net.

It took four attempts to get my upload speed, because it kept reporting an error when it got to that phase. I ended with 0.06 upload speed. I queried whether it was related to the Upstream Transmit Power Level, and was told no.

She did a ping test and told me there was 40% packet loss, so I asked again whether it was due to the upload problem. She replied that she didn't think so, but she couldn't receive that information from her computer, and that she would go and ask someone a tiny bit higher up about it.

She wandered off, and I was left listening to Lady GAHHHHH for several minutes, at which point she announced she'd get back to me tomorrow lunchtime with the results of the other techie's remote check on my modem.

Might have been a bit too much to expect something (if even a temporary fix) today! Not that I mind too much (well... I kind of do, but still), I'll wait until tomorrow and see how it goes. :P

Old 26-06-2010, 12:08   #15
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Always a bonus contacting technical support and receiving absolutely no technical support of any kind.

She'll get back to you tomorrow lunchtime because she doesn't know how to use her tools provided?

You got blagged
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote