Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Intall next week - Worried!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Intall next week - Worried!

Old 24-06-2010, 10:44   #1
simps100
Inactive

simps100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intall next week - Worried!

Hi all,

Live in the SL2 area of slough, after years of living with 700k unreliable internet i was delighted to get a letter from virgin informing us we are now connected. We ordered 20mb internet straight away, order all went through no problems and its due to be installed a week tomorrow.

But now im worried, after looking around online many people in the slough area seem to have been offered it and had all sorts of issues actually getting it, im hoping im worrying for nothing, virgin reassured me with there online chat im in a virgin area but cant help it i guess after booking a day of work and what not for this!

Anyone in slough with any positive experiences?

Cheers

Marc
simps100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2010, 10:51   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Intall next week - Worried!

For every moaner on the internet there's probably 500+ happy people but because they're happy they don't tend to post. So don't let the moaners get you down.

Oh and welcome to the forum
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 11:20   #3
scaseman
Inactive

scaseman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
For every moaner on the internet there's probably 500+ happy people but because they're happy they don't tend to post. So don't let the moaners get you down.
I would support that statement. It makes me wonder how many people are put off having a installation due to negative comments. I must admit I was slightly worried before my installation after reading some of the comments on this forum. But my install went extremely smoothly.
scaseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 11:40   #4
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Because he keeps moving house, my lad has had three VM installations over the previous two years and every one has gone really well (though once they cancelled his email account without warning and all his emails were lost).

Although I have had had NTL/VM for many years, I have had various changes and updates in recent times and again everybody has turned up as promised and done a good job. I have yet to come across a technician who is not punctual, efficient and friendly. Perhaps it depends how the customer treats them.

I feel sorry for those who have problems but I suspect most people are very satisfield.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 11:43   #5
simps100
Inactive

Its more i guess because its only recently our area has become a fibre area, and it was slightly surprised with no digging up in the area etc i can recall i was shocked we can suddenly get it.

Looking forward to much faster net!
Old 24-06-2010, 18:04   #6
Dinalt
cf.member

Dinalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me know how you get on Simps100 -I'm in the SL2 area too and waiting for a date for installation etc.

Regards,

DinAlt
Dinalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 19:32   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

There wasnt a lot of digging required for the "last mile" part of the upgrades. Cabinets would have had new equipment installed and depending on the architecture, new equipment in the chambers as well. The only digging would have been when replacing or pulling new Fibre from the MUX cabinets (big double/triple doored green cabinets) to the Hub site.

The local infrastructure feeding your house would still be 860/540 coax and 10/50 pair copper cable which is what is utilised on our digital network areas anyway, the difference with the old analogue network was the hubsite gear/cabinet equipment rather than the cable in the street.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 17:45   #8
simps100
Inactive

Guys came today fed a cable from a green box behind house through back garden, installer coming in tomorrow to finish off. Only slight worry is the end of the cable the guys have run is quite a distance from where i would like the modem to be, is this a problem? Also how does the telephone work, we would like the telephone line in a different place to the modem will this be ok?

Cheers
Old 01-07-2010, 17:48   #9
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

That green box will be the DP cabinet where both your phone and digital services connect. From there the connection will run on larger pair cable and 540/860 coax back to a MUX cabinet and then onto the fibre network back to the local headend.

The end of that cable will connect to an external splitter and housed in a brown/grey omni box. From here, Internal cable will be run to your first sockets. That cable run up your garden will be a siamese cable (both telco and coax together), your telephone socket will be fitted where you want (within reason) and will be seperate to your coax points for TV and Broadband.

Hope this helps, and glad to hear the initial install went well.

Old 01-07-2010, 18:08   #10
simps100
Inactive

The telephone socket is needed to be on the ground floor in the front room, but ideally we would like the modem upstairs as thats where most of the equipment connects.
Old 01-07-2010, 18:45   #11
weesteev
Cable Guru

The engineer can discuss this with you on the day of the install but what your asking for isn't unique so they should be able to accommodate you as long as your happy with the cable route.

Best of luck

Old 01-07-2010, 21:23   #12
simps100
Inactive

Sorry another quick question, like BT is it possible to have 2 telephone points in the house?
Old 01-07-2010, 21:27   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

yes
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:31   #14
weesteev
Cable Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
yes
Haha simple answer, yes! You can have multiple phone sockets in your home as long as they are wired correctly. If you have existing BT extensions then the tech may be able to wire these into the new Virgin master socket for you.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:35   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Haha simple answer, yes! You can have multiple phone sockets in your home as long as they are wired correctly. If you have existing BT extensions then the tech may be able to wire these into the new Virgin master socket for you.
If it'll save him any time at all im positive he will use the bt wiring
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote