Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | is 5mbit upload just round the corner?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

is 5mbit upload just round the corner?

Old 11-06-2010, 20:00   #1
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
is 5mbit upload just round the corner?

I have put my conspiracy hat on and been thinking. You have probably noticed that tonnes of peeps have been having problems with their 50mbit connections over the last couple of days and one of the things I think we have all noticed is that the config files now say 5mbit up. We have all had the same problem which is with the SNR on the upstream and I am thinking it is because VM are ready to give us 5mbit up and are playing around the with signal/settings to make sure it works properly.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2010, 20:20   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: is 5mbit upload just round the corner!!!

That would be immense
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 20:44   #3
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

5mb upload for 50mb isnt far away nither is 1mb for 10, 2mb for 20
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 22:09   #4
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
5mb upload for 50mb isnt far away nither is 1mb for 10, 2mb for 20
Those were the tiers as prepared a while ago, indeed the same ones I waffled about a while ago. They will be going to some emphasis some people in the not too distant future but not all at once. Best to mention that bit else some people will feel terribly disappointed

Careful what you 'announce' by the way. Remember confidentiality and all that applies equally to direct and outsourced employees and spreading what are currently rumours, upstream uplift timescales haven't been confirmed 100% as far as I know, gets people uppety. I don't mean to sound narky but it's a very, very quick route to getting a slap if lucky.

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I have put my conspiracy hat on and been thinking. You have probably noticed that tonnes of peeps have been having problems with their 50mbit connections over the last couple of days and one of the things I think we have all noticed is that the config files now say 5mbit up. We have all had the same problem which is with the SNR on the upstream and I am thinking it is because VM are ready to give us 5mbit up and are playing around the with signal/settings to make sure it works properly.
Hrm no they haven't you've just noticed it more because yours is on the blink.

You are on an upgraded upstream and have an upgraded configuration but evidently it's not ready yet given it's not working. Probably a bit of random upgrading and trialling on the way to a full product release.

Did you really think the VM PR machine would do tier uplifts and not broadcast the fact to the stars and back?

For the bored the bits below:

US-1
Channel Type 1.0
Channel ID 1
Frequency (Hz) 25800000
Ranging Status Success
Modulation 16QAM
Symbol Rate (KSym/sec) 2560
Mini-Slot Size 2
Power Level (dBmV) 37.00

In an area where the network is being made ready, note I said the network which doesn't mean modems will be upgraded, will be:

Channel Type 2.0
Symbol Rate (KSym/sec) 5120
Mini-Slot Size 1

Compare away!
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 22:14   #5
speedfreak
Inactive

Services: VM phone TV 50Mbps BB
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

Did you really think the VM PR machine would do tier uplifts and not broadcast the fact to the stars and back?
probably would if they werent sure if it work, nobody ringing to complain that way. Maybe I'm just being hopeful
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 22:17   #6
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
probably would if they werent sure if it work, nobody ringing to complain that way. Maybe I'm just being hopeful
Wouldn't be released if they weren't sure it'd work. These are blind trials, same as happens with every tier uplift. Trial it in a few areas without telling people first, see how it goes, then start rolling to the wider network.
Old 11-06-2010, 23:45   #7
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

ignition still waiting for the next chapter on the one way internet
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 23:48   #8
speedfreak
Inactive

speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Wouldn't be released if they weren't sure it'd work.
Would that be the same as releasing 50Mb with the motorola issue?
Old 11-06-2010, 23:48   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
We do NOT all suffer the same problem and tonnes of people have not either, just those that have one.

Most of us know that VM will be increasing the U/L thanks to BT and the need to keep "in the lead" as the "fastest provider".

Post your config and moem stats please.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 00:13   #10
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Would that be the same as releasing 50Mb with the motorola issue?
The one that I, along with many others do not, and have never had and was extremely intermittent?

There have been other progressive fixes. There were actually multiple Motorola issues fixed largely by software upgrades, however none of them were a 'show stopper' as releasing DOCSIS 2 upstreams onto incapable networks would be.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
We do NOT all suffer the same problem and tonnes of people have not either, just those that have one.

Most of us know that VM will be increasing the U/L thanks to BT and the need to keep "in the lead" as the "fastest provider".

Post your config and moem stats please.
He has posted it in many places elsewhere, apart from the operating config. Check the man's post history for more information.

His issue btw is return path. He's on a DOCSIS 2 upstream and his local network is struggling with it. Doubling the occupied frequency ups the difficulty level considerably in multiple ways.
Old 12-06-2010, 00:16   #11
speedfreak
Inactive

Quote:
The one that I, along with many others do not, and have never had?
lol you cant be saying there wasnt a huge problem there, just because you didnt suffer from it doesnt mean theres wasnt an issue, you must know that! Even VM admit it. Every single tech Ive had out, even the principle tech, have said there are national issues with 50Mb, one even saying its "screwed". Theres loads of things Ive been told about that I wont post on here.

Anyway, thats off topic. I was just pointing out a possible reason they would start it off without a big hoohar

damn you and your editing! Extremely intermittent? Thats not what Ive seen/been told/read
Old 12-06-2010, 00:21   #12
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
lol you cant be saying there wasnt a huge problem there, just because you didnt suffer from it doesnt mean theres wasnt an issue, you must know that! Even VM admit it. Every single tech Ive had out, even the principle tech, have said there are national issues with 50Mb, one even saying its "screwed". Theres loads of things Ive been told about that I wont post on here.

Anyway, thats off topic. I was just pointing out a possible reason they would start it off without a big hoohar
The local technicians have no idea about issues on a national scale beyond what they hear and what is briefed to them. 50Mbps being 'screwed' wouldn't be a part of those briefs.

The local tech comments aren't exactly the official word from VM so it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that VM admit anything because the principal service tech says so. Be aware that even the principal tech is just the highest level of the guys who escalate to the network engineers, who in turn escalate to the headend engineers, who are the guys who would actually have direct involvement with the BSRs and even then things such as the 'Motorola issue' are handled by NMCs who would deal with the headend guys.

Just giving you an idea how far from actually working on the BSRs the guys who come to your home actually are, Chinese whispers ftw!

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

Quote:
damn you and your editing! Extremely intermittent? Thats not what Ive seen/been told/read
If it stuck out that obviously it would have been identified easily.
Old 12-06-2010, 00:41   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Unfotunatly Numptys do come here.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:02   #14
|Kippa|
Inactive

|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them

Do you think there will be restrictions on a 5mbit upload rate like the lower tiers, or just leave it a free for all with a fair usage policy?
|Kippa| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:45   #15
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
g

Those were the tiers as prepared a while ago, indeed the same ones I waffled about a while ago. They will be going to some emphasis some people in the not too distant future but not all at once. Best to mention that bit else some people will feel terribly disappointed

Careful what you 'announce' by the way. Remember confidentiality and all that applies equally to direct and outsourced employees and spreading what are currently rumours, upstream uplift timescales haven't been confirmed 100% as far as I know, gets people uppety. I don't mean to sound narky but it's a very, very quick route to getting a slap if lucky.
hence why i said aint far awayu i dnt know the dates nor do i know if it 100% confirmed or confirmed at all
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote