Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | is my modem faulty?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

is my modem faulty?

Old 07-06-2010, 23:24   #1
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
is my modem faulty?

Hi guys, I am in Lincoln and for the last couple of hours my connection keeps dropping off and coming back after a few mins. To start off with all the lights were on on my modem and it was the blue tick that was flashing and now it seems to be getting worse and the blue tick isnt flashing at all and the up arrow is flashing. I attributed this to a service fault but the chums in India say no and reckon my modem is faulty. I have read other threads on this forum and people go on about T3 timeouts and stuff and I dont really know what they mean. This is a bit off my error log and the upstream info:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-

Channel Type 2.0
Channel ID 3
Frequency
(Hz) 47400000
Ranging Status Success
Modulation 16QAM
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 512
Mini-Slot Size 1
Power Level
(dBmV) 48.25
T1 Timeouts 0
T2 Timeouts 0
T3 Timeouts 97
T4 Timeouts 0

and I have pulled this from the downstream info

Uncorrectable Codewords 302 306 299

I don't know whether I have ever had any timeouts before, this is the first time I have had to look. I just want to know whether the modem has had it or whether it is a problem on the network. Up and till now my modem and connection have always been 100%.

Any help would be muchly appreciated

thanks
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2010, 23:35   #2
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Re: is my modem faulty?

I've been getting the same for over a week now I'm in Leeds but its too intermitant sometimes I can go all day and its ok then I get to 10/11pm and it cuts out a few times, like yesterday I had to reset the modem about 6 times and today had to do it only twice
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 23:36   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: is my modem faulty?

Partial stats don't really help at all. However you are on a 50Mb connection presumably and the Uncorrectable codewords being around the 300 mark is about right as they accrue on modem boot.

The T3 timeouts look to be high but without the full log file is meaningless as it cannot be seen how long these have beed adding up and could be as simple as not getting a response for a request for the time.

You should really post the full U/s and D/s stats and a full copy of the log file.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote