Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Trying to leave Virgin Media after 7 months of pain.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Trying to leave Virgin Media after 7 months of pain.

Old 01-06-2010, 15:27   #1
Natastna2
Inactive

Natastna2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Trying to leave Virgin Media after 7 months of pain.

Hello, I live in Sheffield and had no problems with Virgin Media until November when I extended the contract and switched to 50MB. The speed varied from 0.1MB to 50MB constantly and to cut a long story short, we had a lot of engineers around. Eventually I was told incorrectly that switching to 20MB would help so I have done. Now for the last 5 or so months, the internet speed is 20MB when it works but the internet disconnected every night at around 9pm and comes back on at about lunchtime the next day. As someone who earns their living online, this is unacceptable. I wrote a letter complaining and was expecting to be able to leave as they were not fulfilling their contract. I was told that as we were receiving a television and telephone service and a partial broadband service we woudl not be able to leave without paying 150 pounds. My liason then gave us 3 months free and assured us the problem would be fixed. This was around 5 months ago and every time I ring him he assures me it will be fixed tomorrow/next week/in a month etc. I have contacted Ofcom and Cisas, waiting for the CISAS application form and am trying to get a deadlock letter from Virgin Media. The only information that 9 engineers and "my liason" have come up with is that there is a problem with too much upstream on the server and this knocks the internet off. I'm fed up with being lied to and will, if necessary, take it to small claims court. I was hoping to get some responses from people who have had similar problems and also advice on whether or not they can say that I'm receiving a service and so I cannot leave without paying. I'm sorry for the length of this message but I'm not sure what to do now and any advice would be very helpful. Thanks, Ant.
Natastna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2010, 15:33   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Trying to leave Virgin Media after 7 months of pain.

firstly if you earn your living online you would need a business account for that to have any effect on the outcome of this
Old 01-06-2010, 16:17   #3
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

as zing said if you on a consumer account you wont get anywhere legally, no form of SLA covers this on it.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 16:32   #4
Natastna2
Inactive

Natastna2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Regardless of whether or not I make my living online, it is still unacceptable that my internet goes off every night from 9pm. If I was to take them to small claims court, could they legitimately say that they are fulfilling the contract as I am receiving phone and TV service even though I only ever wanted the internet and they forced me to take a bundle?
Natastna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 16:35   #5
zing_deleted

I fully understand your plight and you of course are correct and if they can not provide the service then they are in breach of contract and you do have a right to cancel. I was merely pointing out if you say you use it to earn a living then you will be on a road to nowhere as you also will be in breach
Old 01-06-2010, 16:40   #6
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natastna2 View Post
Regardless of whether or not I make my living online, it is still unacceptable that my internet goes off every night from 9pm. If I was to take them to small claims court, could they legitimately say that they are fulfilling the contract as I am receiving phone and TV service even though I only ever wanted the internet and they forced me to take a bundle?
I would suggest you can use that as a get out clause so you dont have to honour the full length of your contract, but thats as far as it would probably go.

VM are likely to offer you reimbursement tho if you get in tough with either the CEO office or retentions. Likely a better route then the small claims court.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 16:46   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Before you do try small claims try reading the terms of services especially the section on liability (section N) and also the restrictions as to usage (which seems to have changed recently as you could use VM residential for working from home as long as your business wasn;t registered at home)

Quote:
1.You are responsible for the way the services are used. You must not use the services to do any of the following acts or allow anyone else to use the services to do such acts:
h.Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes;
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...ble/terms.html

As for forcing you to take the bundle you're the one who signed the contract for a full package even though they do Broadband only packages
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 16:55   #8
speedfreak
Inactive

Services: VM phone TV 50Mbps BB
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

Forgetting the business thing as thats not really the point, if you are unable to get a connection from 9pm till the following day and you have tried getting them to rectify it then they are unable to provide you with the service. I think its already been said but they are your grounds for being released from any contract. Good luck. Agree with Kymmy though, nobody can "force" you to take the bundle unless of course thats how they made it seem to get you to sign up. Id just forget the small claims thing, if they cant provide it just get out and move on
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:08   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

If your letter of complaint mentioned that you were running a business on a residential connection then you will have already shot yourself in the foot as that breaches the Terms and Conditions of your contract.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:09   #10
speedfreak
Inactive

speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
If your letter of complaint mentioned that you were running a business on a residential connection then you will have already shot yourself in the foot as that breaches the Terms and Conditions of your contract.
What happens with that though? If VM know you are using it for business would they terminate the contract?
Old 01-06-2010, 17:13   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
What happens with that though? If VM know you are using it for business would they terminate the contract?
I expect it would be used if he tried to sue them in this instance, the are other ways to sort this out and possibly with help from the Cableforum's Virginmedia contacts via a moderator.
Old 01-06-2010, 17:16   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

As I said I'm sure it's only recetnly changed and the TOS used to say that it was OK to use the services from home (for example working from home to your normal place of business)

It's been posted somewhere before on here not sure where though
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 17:20   #13
speedfreak
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I expect it would be used if he tried to sue them in this instance, the are other ways to sort this out and possibly with help from the Cableforum's Virginmedia contacts via a moderator.
Reading the OPs post though it sounds like the CEO's office has already been involved but Im guessing, Out of interest though, exactly what would VM do if they knew it was being used for business purposes? Wouldnt they terminate the contract?
Old 01-06-2010, 17:30   #14
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
As I said I'm sure it's only recetnly changed and the TOS used to say that it was OK to use the services from home (for example working from home to your normal place of business)

It's been posted somewhere before on here not sure where though
In the Terms and Conditions section D Using the services, section 1 paragraph H it says

Quote:
You are responsible for the way the services are used. You must not use the services to do any of the following acts or allow anyone else to use the services to do such acts:

Use any services (including, but not limited to, phone services) for commercial or business purposes;
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...e/terms.html#d

If you are running a business as your sole means of employment from your home which is your primary place of work then that would be in breach of the T&C's.

Working from home if it is not your primary place of work should be OK, as many people do work occasionally from home.
Old 01-06-2010, 17:31   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Reading the OPs post though it sounds like the CEO's office has already been involved but Im guessing, Out of interest though, exactly what would VM do if they knew it was being used for business purposes? Wouldnt they terminate the contract?
No idea about them terminating the contract as I am just reading the T&C's.