Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 50 Mb Query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

50 Mb Query

Old 27-04-2010, 18:54   #1
paddyco
Inactive

paddyco is an unknown quantity at this point
50 Mb Query

Hello there, I have just recently upgraded to the 50Mb service and have a question. When ever I have downloaded anything it frequently gets up to 6MB/s or higher which seems about right. But whenever I do a speed test either here or at speedtest.net I get on average 25Mb/s. Do these speed tests struggle to work with the 50Mb connection.
paddyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2010, 19:23   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: 50 Mb Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyco View Post
Hello there, I have just recently upgraded to the 50Mb service and have a question. When ever I have downloaded anything it frequently gets up to 6MB/s or higher which seems about right. But whenever I do a speed test either here or at speedtest.net I get on average 25Mb/s. Do these speed tests struggle to work with the 50Mb connection.
it all depends on how you test your speed .If you are connected via a wireless router then it will be less accurate than if connected via ethernet directly to the modem .When i am checking my speed i use this link

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/

simply start a download of about 3-4 files ,i choose larger ones let them settle down and reach maximum add them together and that should give you a more accurate reading than most test sites ,and don't forget to connect directly to the modem
Old 27-04-2010, 21:17   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Virgin recommend the London server on speedtest.net
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 21:23   #4
paddyco
Inactive

paddyco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies guys. I tried the london server on speedtest.net and the result was 49Mb/s, so spot on, thanks again
paddyco is offline   Reply With Quote