Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What the hell?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What the hell?

Old 01-04-2010, 18:24   #1
apb27
Inactive

apb27 is on a distinguished roadapb27 is on a distinguished road
What the hell?

1. phone cs ask for 50mb upgrade, get some fees waived, get a quick install date (also ask if we can move modem to different room, chick on phone says yeah the engineer can do that for you).

2. engineer comes 1hr early due to other cancellation which is a bonus. everything installed fine. he says he cant move modem as he does not have the 'tools' and the job is too big. everything has been great up till now so im not too fussed, he phones cs himself and books a modem/cable move to a different date, 2 weeks ahead.

3. just phoned up cs to confirm the date (which is tomorrow) and she says no installs or anything booked. tell her the story and she says there is no record. then she says she can book a new one.... for £99.00

my question is should there be a record there or not? its not an install just moving the cable from one place to another. i would have thought there might have been a note or something. i cant believe that engineer would just arrange a fake appointment.
apb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2010, 07:05   #2
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What the hell?

The problem is, due to changes, the installers now get paid for your job as a re-connect, if you want the modem moving they don't get paid for it, I'm afraid, the installer pulled the wool over your eyes about not having the right tools. I hear moral on the front line is at an all time low.
I suggest you ring up CS again, and try and speak to someone sensible.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30   #3
chuzzlemonkey
Inactive

Services: V+ TV:XL Broadband:XL Telco:XL
chuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quadschuzzlemonkey has a fine set of Quads

That being said it is also possible that the order just hadn't been placed onto your account at the time of you calling as the office won't book the order onto the account without a reference from the tech's manager.

But seeing as he lied to you about not having the correct tools, I would suggest he probably never arranged for this move. Unfortunately, if you call CSC the fixed charge for the relocation of any equipment is £99.00. You'll have a hard time getting that waived without making an official complaint.
chuzzlemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37   #4
TuesdayWildchild
Inactive

Location: started life in Kent moved to Lincolnshire then Bedfordshire back to Lincs next who knows.
Services: Virgin phone,tv,internet, 2 virgin moblies. Freeview, Wii,Sky freeview,moblie satalite system.
TuesdayWildchild is an unknown quantity at this point

Say urself the pain and do it yourself.

I have, moved it from back bedroom to front why would you need an engineer.
TuesdayWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 14:16   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

A 50meg upgrade is a service visit, it does not involve re-locating a modem. If you want the modem moved you need an install visit which costs £99
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 14:59   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayWildchild View Post
Say urself the pain and do it yourself.

I have, moved it from back bedroom to front why would you need an engineer.

WARNING. Doing this could cause more pain than good depending on how stable your signal is and how far you want to move the box.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 19:09   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Its also worth noting that 50Mb installations are carried out by Service Tech's and not Install Tech's, this is due to the potential complexity and troubleshooting required. A service Tech wont be equipped with materials and tool's to re-route internal cabling so that may explain why, I don't believe that the contact centre staff are all aware of this.

Unfortunately, standard Service orders would be £99 to move your modem... or why not go wireless? The 50Mb install comes with a router/adapter?

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:02   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

The service techs do have the tools just not the time
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:25   #9
apb27
Inactive

apb27 is on a distinguished roadapb27 is on a distinguished road

THANKS for the replies.

i think he did mention something about the time needed and he was only there to upgrade.

also, nobody came on the later appt he booked, must have just lied about it.

i posted a thread on virgin's community forum and the helpful staff contacted
my local installs manager who'll be contacting me monday to arrange a new move.
apb27 is offline   Reply With Quote