Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anybody having trouble streaming YouTube videos?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Anybody having trouble streaming YouTube videos?

Old 28-03-2010, 00:01   #1
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
Anybody having trouble streaming YouTube videos?

Anybody having trouble with most YouTube videos having streaming problems?

It's never been like this, but lately, it's getting near to being slower than a snail or not stream at all.

Can repro the problems on all three laptops in the house, even an iPod touch.

Equipment:
NETGEAR WGT624v4 (Factory settings, apart SPI being turned off)
VM Ambit on 20MB/s
Laptops all on W7 32bit, running Google Chrome on two and with one running Firefox (latest).

Any ideas, or is anyone else experiencing buffer problems too?
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2010, 00:06   #2
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Re: Anybody having trouble streaming YouTube videos?

Yeah, recently YouTube videos have been taking longer to buffer, they never used to but it is not a VM problem as other connections I've used have been having the same problem, where by the position marker? at the bottom of the video goes past the red buffer line and then after a few seconds will then stop so that it can catch up
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 00:08   #3
jtaylor06
Inactive

jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

Yeah, it does it quite a lot.
Plays probably 3 seconds, stops, then wait for like another 3, plays, then stops.

Even on 480p (default setting)
Old 28-03-2010, 00:09   #4
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

I think it's more of an issue with YouTube myself cause they have been messing about with a lot of things recently like adding closed captions (CC) and stuff
Old 28-03-2010, 00:13   #5
jtaylor06
Inactive

I saw that the other day.
I even tried it out, but I think it's rather pointless as it never gets more than 60% (random guesstimate) of the words right lol.

But I guess accessibility is important, so when they do get it right, it will be a good feature to some users.

Are there any streaming tests on the internet at all to see if it's not just a problem with YouTube or something similar?
Old 28-03-2010, 00:17   #6
Ben B
Inactive

I dunno, you could try watching stuff from MySpace video or Facebook and see if you have any issues streaming on them
Old 28-03-2010, 00:18   #7
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Same here, the site was down for a few hours yesterday, and today I keep having to hit pause and wait for the video to load first before playing it, which seems to take ages.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 00:57   #8
jtaylor06
Inactive

Looks like it's happening to quite a few people then.
Old 28-03-2010, 08:08   #9
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

I've given up trying to stream Youtube lately, it's become so poor.
Now I download the videos via KeepVid...
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 10:50   #10
Steve007
cf.member

Steve007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad I'm not the only person to have noticed
Steve007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 11:54   #11
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

yeah i had a few issues yesterday with some videos not all tho.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 11:57   #12
madnutter0102
Inactive

madnutter0102 is an unknown quantity at this point

so its not just me then? its been happening for ages with me.
madnutter0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 16:23   #13
jtaylor06
Inactive

Anyone know anyone on non-cable connections that are having problems too?
Or is it limited to cable connections?
Old 28-03-2010, 20:06   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor06 View Post
Anyone know anyone on non-cable connections that are having problems too?
Or is it limited to cable connections?
My mate's on Be and having same issue.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 21:37   #15
jcm193
cf.addict

jcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enough

I have tried a few 1080p music video`s on youtube tonight,they have all played without any buffer problems I did notice that the picture resolution seems to have dropped even though it states to full hd 1080p
jcm193 is offline   Reply With Quote