Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Quick question: Additional Cable Modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Quick question: Additional Cable Modem

Old 08-03-2010, 11:45   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Quick question: Additional Cable Modem

Hi,

I have my internet upstairs. The cable comes through the top of the house.

The tv services have a cable comign through the bottom of the house.

If I wanted to get online with a laptop in the same room as the tv services, I assume I would need a splitter to split the tv cable into 2, then get an additional cable modem, power supply and ethernet cable?

Do I have to purchase these myself? Or will Virgin install and provide them?

Many Thanks
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Quick question: Additional Cable Modem

You can only have one modem on one domestic account. If you want to attach more than one computer to the service, you attach a router to your existing modem, and then connect all your computers to the router - wirelessly if at all possible.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:49   #3
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You can only have one modem on one domestic account. If you want to attach more than one computer to the service, you attach a router to your existing modem, and then connect all your computers to the router - wirelessly if at all possible.
Ok thanks Chris.

Will the router / install be provided by VM?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:51   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

You can get one from them, but it's reputedly not very good. You can get your own from PC World or similar for about £40.

... either way, they won't install it for you, but they don't need to, it's quite straightforward.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04   #5
smallclone
cf.geek

Thanks again. I assume there are no compatibility issues with any wireless routers? Most on the market work with VM?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:05   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You want a standalone DSL router, not one with any inbuilt ADSL modem which work only with BT type connections.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:09   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Rob, I think you mean 'standalone router' without DSL ... usually sold by PC World as a 'cable router'.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

They're normally marketed as DSL Routers which is where the confusion often lies
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 13:07   #9
smallclone
cf.geek

Any chance you could give me a few links to the type of kit I need?

much thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 13:17   #10
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

This link is for all the Cable routers that PC world sell

Click Here
Old 08-03-2010, 13:22   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
Any chance you could give me a few links to the type of kit I need?

much thanks
This will give you an idea but you may wish to google for better deals

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__cable...=228459_228460
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 13:36   #12
smallclone
cf.geek

Great. cheers guys.
Old 08-03-2010, 14:01   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I disagree I think the d-link router that they supply is impressive! I'd recommend against buying another one at PC World as the OP may need support setting it up from VM, also if it fails VM will replace it, PC world will only have a 1 year guarantee. Oh and it'll be free!
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 18:56   #14
Matt-08
Inactive

Services: Virgin media VIP Package & Freedom netbook - RED!
Matt-08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I disagree I think the d-link router that they supply is impressive! I'd recommend against buying another one at PC World as the OP may need support setting it up from VM, also if it fails VM will replace it, PC world will only have a 1 year guarantee. Oh and it'll be free!
And I'm told VM offer a 2 year guarantee.

I'd always go with Netgear or Linksys, the WNR2000 by Netgear supplied by VM worked great for me, but it refused to work well with my iPod Touch playing YouTube.

I now have a Linksys WRT160N and that carries a 2 year guarantee. I'd recommend anyone wanting a trouble free connection to avoid Belkin at all costs. PC World like to push these but I would advise against.
Matt-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 19:37   #15
Zhadnost
Inactive

Services: XXL Broadband, Phone
Zhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really niceZhadnost is just really nice

I've gone off linksys kit, having nearly everything I've bought from them having stopped working in one way or another within 6 months. Including 3 rackmount switches, a PoE injector/splitter kit, a Deskop Gigabit switch (the replacement one they sent also didn't work, could have bought a replacement one for the cost of shipping to holland twice), an Access point that worked for less than a week before it stopped being PoE capable, and I'm pretty sure there must be something else, but I can't think of it atm.

The old WAP54G / WRT54G / WRT54GS / WRT54GL 's I had all worked flawlessly, it's just eveything I've bought that's newer.
Zhadnost is offline   Reply With Quote